Paint Bubbling Around Rear Wiper - 2005 Tahoe

The paint is bubbling around the rear wiper on my 2005 Tahoe. It appears to be spreading almost daily. Is anyone else seeing this? I thought it was rust but I don't think the tailgate is steel. A magnet does not stick to it so I'm thinking it's aluminum (maybe plastic but it does not feel like plastic??)

Is there anyway to stop this from spreading short of having the entire tailgate re-done?

The paint is bubbling around the rear wiper on my 2005 Tahoe. It appears to be spreading almost daily. Is anyone else seeing this? I thought it was rust but I don't think the tailgate is steel. A magnet does not stick to it so I'm thinking it's aluminum (maybe plastic but it does not feel like plastic??)

Is there anyway to stop this from spreading short of having the entire tailgate re-done?

Sounds like rust bubbles. I believe your gate should be steel. If the bubbles are not bad, a good paint shop can repair the damage, spot repair the paint and then clear the whole hatch exterior.

there are also different grades of steel. some a magnet will stick to others it won't. i have the same problem on my sierra at the lower left corner of the rear brake light but i have not had time to fix it.

That's a very good point. High Strength Light Alloy doesn't attract a magnet like regular old mild steel and it's very common in newer vehicles.

I'm still thinking it's aluminum but I can't say for sure. The magnet sticks to every other pannel on the vehicle other than the tail gate. It even sounds different when you tap on it.

Either way there is obviously corrosion taking place under the paint. Another great quality paint job from GM I guess.

Doubt it is aluminum........ Door skins don't work toooo great when they are aluminum...... Hoods and trunks... Doors noooo... Probably has a skim coat of plastic filler or pin hole eliminator.... I have seen original vehicles that have never had body damage have filler in places.......... GM and Ford....... Even BMW...

If it is bubbling..... it is RUST.... OR oxidation (rust is oxidation).... Don't think it is rust take a AWL poke one bubble... Hit end of AWL while pushing on the bubble (WITH YOUR HAND, if it does not go through it is the paint fixing to let go from the primer)... The AWL will more than likely go right on through the sheet metal and make a nice hole.... That would be RUST.

Don't let me walk around your old car or truck... I always have my #1 Phillips screw driver I look for rust with it.... Because it will find the weak metal..... I have purchased quite a few antique automobiles....... All of which have passed the screw driver test and money clip walk around....

Even when I purchase a new or used car/truck the money clip is used..... When they sweat I laugh.... I will find the plastic filler and the price comes down.

Jbo

Doubt it is aluminum........ Door skins don't work toooo great when they are aluminum...... Hoods and trunks... Doors noooo... Probably has a skim coat of plastic filler or pin hole eliminator.... I have seen original vehicles that have never had body damage have filler in places.......... GM and Ford....... Even BMW...

If it is bubbling..... it is RUST.... OR oxidation (rust is oxidation).... Don't think it is rust take a AWL poke one bubble... Hit end of AWL while pushing on the bubble (WITH YOUR HAND, if it does not go through it is the paint fixing to let go from the primer)... The AWL will more than likely go right on through the sheet metal and make a nice hole.... That would be RUST.

Don't let me walk around your old car or truck... I always have my #1 Phillips screw driver I look for rust with it.... Because it will find the weak metal..... I have purchased quite a few antique automobiles....... All of which have passed the screw driver test and money clip walk around....

Even when I purchase a new or used car/truck the money clip is used..... When they sweat I laugh.... I will find the plastic filler and the price comes down.

Jbo

Come find me a new vehicle then....

I am generally the car salesman's worst nightmare... Worst thing that can happen is them say no.... I am not scared to toss a number out there and watch them go great..........

What dealership near me you want to meet at???? Gray Daniels in Jackson???

I am picky and thorough when inspecting a potential vehicle....

I had a friend bring home a new Silverado 3500 last year... Pulled up at my shop I was going to under coat it for him.... The passengers side of the roof a the A-pillar you could see the weld from the inner structure........ Right off the lot less that 50 miles on the odo.... They used plastic filler and smooth out the area and repainted the roof of his brand new truck (he was quite happy, hahahaha jokingly).... Dealer said it was a fooboo that it made it past inspection.... :):dunno:

Jbo

• 2 months later...

My 05 Denali had the same thing, was rust around the rear wiper arm. Also check when you open the tailgate along the bottom edge. Mine was bubbled almost the entire length of the gate. I was lucky that my mother and myself worked for a GM dealership and they pushed it through under warranty. Ended up repainting the entire tailgate.

Jon

Archived