Going From A 245 To To A 285 Tire?

tpepp1527

I have a 2005 Sierra HD 2500 with the 245/75/r16's on it right now and am looking to go up to a 265 or 285, has anybody mounted these on there truck? I have the 6.0 gas and don't want to lose a lot of gas milage or speedo to be off a lot. does anybody have any info on mileage or speedo for on either tire size?

I have a 2005 Sierra HD 2500 with the 245/75/r16's on it right now and am looking to go up to a 265 or 285, has anybody mounted these on there truck? I have the 6.0 gas and don't want to lose a lot of gas milage or speedo to be off a lot. does anybody have any info on mileage or speedo for on either tire size?

Loads of people on here running both those sizes.

With the 285's might need a slight crank up on the torsion bars.

I have a 2006 Sierra 2500, I bought used with 285s in place of the orig 245s. The GPS says my speed on the highway is 3 mph higher than what the speedometer says. Gas mileage, well with 4.10s in the rear I get 12 mpg at best, so when these tires wear out I'm going back to stock size.

ive had 285,s on every truck ive owned including this yukon. speedo is normally 2-3 mpg off, no big deal. as far as mileage ive never really noticed a drop, im sure it does slighty but its hard to tell, you could mount the 285,s and for some reason get different mileage for diffenrent reasons, temps, different fuel, into pedal more.

fwiw - I not advocating against large tires, just providing information on possible side effects of doing so.

The 2500 series trucks have LT245/75R16E tires as standard equipment.

The 3500 series trucks have LT215/85R16D tires as standard equipment.

A truck that has different tires and wheels will have Engine power/performance concerns, Transmission shift concerns, Speedometer registered speed concerns, and Cruise Control concerns.

Before any diagnosis is performed for these types of concerns, inspect the tires/wheels for the proper tire and wheel combinations.

If a truck is found to have other than the above listed tire sizes, no further diagnosis should be undertaken until the original size tires and wheels are reinstalled on the truck.

The Engine Control Unit (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) use (RPM) and (VSS) inputs as operational parameters for engine torque, transmission shifting, cruise control operation and speedometer indicated vehicle speed.

Calibrations for different tire/wheel combinations are not available.

Therefore changing of tire and/or wheel size should not be undertaken by dealerships or truck owners.

Warranty Information

Reinstalling the proper wheels and tires on the vehicle, prior to performing any type of diagnosis of the truck, would be considered truck owner responsibility and not a warranty repair.

• 2 months later...
fwiw - I not advocating against large tires, just providing information on possible side effects of doing so.

The 2500 series trucks have LT245/75R16E tires as standard equipment.

The 3500 series trucks have LT215/85R16D tires as standard equipment.

A truck that has different tires and wheels will have Engine power/performance concerns, Transmission shift concerns, Speedometer registered speed concerns, and Cruise Control concerns.

Before any diagnosis is performed for these types of concerns, inspect the tires/wheels for the proper tire and wheel combinations.

If a truck is found to have other than the above listed tire sizes, no further diagnosis should be undertaken until the original size tires and wheels are reinstalled on the truck.

The Engine Control Unit (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) use (RPM) and (VSS) inputs as operational parameters for engine torque, transmission shifting, cruise control operation and speedometer indicated vehicle speed.

Calibrations for different tire/wheel combinations are not available.

Therefore changing of tire and/or wheel size should not be undertaken by dealerships or truck owners.

Warranty Information

Reinstalling the proper wheels and tires on the vehicle, prior to performing any type of diagnosis of the truck, would be considered truck owner responsibility and not a warranty repair.

Thats just GM's crybaby way of getting out of warranty issues on trucks with bigger tires. Going up 2 sizes won't affect much. Also calibrations ARE available for different tire sizes. Quick and simple with tech 2 scan tool. I will change the way it rides and drives, don't get me wrong. I put 285's on my 2004 2500HD, looks like a real truck now... 245's are just too small for me.

I just bought new 265/75R16's for my '06 and it didn't change much except that it looks a lot better. Go to tires.com and you'll have to do a quick tire search and on the bottom left corner there is a link for a tire calculator. Enter in your info and it will give the the difference between the tires and how far off the speedo is and what not. Also it gives you the actual percentage you are off so when you go to fill up you can figure out the correct amount of miles you drove and what kind of MPG's you are getting. So with my truck going from a 245 to a 265 is a 3.9% increase. So lets say I drove 250 miles and times it by 3.9% and I actually drove 259.75 miles. Play around with it and maybe it will help you decide what size to get. im happy with my 265's right now but maybe down the road for shits and giggles i'll get 285's

i just upgraded from the stock firestone 245/75/16s after like 45K they were SOOOO bald... but anyway i got new mastercraft 26/75/16 A/T2s and i like them but i really wish i went with the 285/75/16 cause is it is the front end is saggy and im guessing with front end sagg and little tires like 245s it was easy for the rust to eat apart my front end. Anyway my advise to you is go for the 285s they look ALOT nicer even than the 265s and they bring your front end up just a little bit higher

Hey Kurt what did you end up doing to level your truck? Did you just crank on the T-bars or get a kit? Oh and Tpepp1527 make sure you get a load range E tire in whatever size you get, it will give you more miles than a D.

how did little tires make your front end rusty?

well... its just a guess could be cause im in connecticut and plow with it in the winter.... but with the 245s the front end was just so low to the ground so im guessing the salt attacked it? i dont know just a wild guess, my control arms look pretty sad too i guess cause of the tires tossing salt throughout the wheel wells

Hey Kurt what did you end up doing to level your truck? Did you just crank on the T-bars or get a kit? Oh and Tpepp1527 make sure you get a load range E tire in whatever size you get, it will give you more miles than a D.

I dont believe anything was done.... the 265s just fit, if you get 285s they require some cranking on the bars or bumper trimming i hear? Dont you have 265s? what did you do? or have you not done anything yet? if i do end up doing anything it would be the cognito upper arm thing or just buy some rough country Torsion keys and get some lift outta those

I debated the same thing recently. Decided to go with DuraTracs size 265/75 R16's. Made a huge difference and didn't have to mess with anything else. Improved the ride and appearance of the truck. Had several people ask me if I had it lifted after the change. 265's were plenty big on there - for me.

how did little tires make your front end rusty?

well... its just a guess could be cause im in connecticut and plow with it in the winter.... but with the 245s the front end was just so low to the ground so im guessing the salt attacked it? i dont know just a wild guess, my control arms look pretty sad too i guess cause of the tires tossing salt throughout the wheel wells

Huh? :)

Archived