Electric Cooling Fans

Ok guys, help me out. I have a 2003 silverado 5.3L with the clutch fan. I want to completely eliminate the clutch fan and add a cooling fan/cooling fans(whatever is sufficient). I don't know anything about electric cooling fans, and my reason for adding them is to get rid of the jet engine noise from the clutch fan. I want to go the cheapest route possible. So, let me have it...how would you/have you done it, where do I get the fans/wiring harness, how do I install(do I take my shroud and fan completely out, or what is involved) and where do I plug the fans into so they turn on and off according to coolant temp? Thanks!

Ok guys, help me out. I have a 2003 silverado 5.3L with the clutch fan. I want to completely eliminate the clutch fan and add a cooling fan/cooling fans(whatever is sufficient). I don't know anything about electric cooling fans, and my reason for adding them is to get rid of the jet engine noise from the clutch fan. I want to go the cheapest route possible. So, let me have it...how would you/have you done it, where do I get the fans/wiring harness, how do I install(do I take my shroud and fan completely out, or what is involved) and where do I plug the fans into so they turn on and off according to coolant temp? Thanks!

a wrecking yard would be a good place to look for all the parst you will need find the fans that fit the best then take all wiring relays temperature sensor etc:

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I have been reading on the internet that dual e-fans from 98-02 ls1 camaros and firebirds will work perfectly and fit fine on my truck, can anyone add any truth to this? I have found them on ebay for around $100. Also, where can I get a wiring harness if I went the LS1 route? And, can a dealership reprogram my ECM or where would I get that done at? Thanks!

well if you look in junkyards, or online.... starting in 2005 the gm half tons were e-fans

Have you checked that your alternator will carry the extra load? And what about your circuit breakers and fuses--are there circuits available for the new load? You say the fan roars? Could be that the clutch is stuck. I think that your gas mileage would take a hit.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I have been reading on the internet that dual e-fans from 98-02 ls1 camaros and firebirds will work perfectly and fit fine on my truck, can anyone add any truth to this? I have found them on ebay for around $100. Also, where can I get a wiring harness if I went the LS1 route? And, can a dealership reprogram my ECM or where would I get that done at? Thanks!

Yes, the LS1 or LT1 fans will work but I'd also consider, 2005-up GMT-800's have dual fans too. I'd suggest Nelson performance for the wiring/relays and programming. He's got a nice setup for a very reasonable price. Also can do the PCM tuning for you :thumbs:

well if you look in junkyards, or online.... starting in 2005 the gm half tons were e-fans

Have you checked that your alternator will carry the extra load? And what about your circuit breakers and fuses--are there circuits available for the new load? You say the fan roars? Could be that the clutch is stuck. I think that your gas mileage would take a hit.

not turning a mechanical fan will gain horse power and some fuel saving

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I might go with the nelson performance wiring harness. One question though, how would nelson do the tune for my PCM? Is there something they could send me or how would that work?

If you're going to have a tune, get a custom tune from Black Bear Performance

I did it to my '02 last year. I was going to give you all the details and then I saw Jennabear chimed in. Blackbear did my tune & I used their harness too. Justin can give you the name of a very reliable seller on eBay who sells just elec fans. He told me to get the set from an '03 Tahoe and they literally dropped right in to the connectors that held the fan shroud that I removed. The plugs on BB's harness plugged right in and fuses are no issue as the harness has its own plus all the relays etc. It turned out to be one of the most painless mods I did to my truck. PM or email Jenna or Justin at Blackbear. The time you save looking through wrecking yards will be worth it alone. Good luck.

Jim

We sell e-fan harnesses with high end relays, as well as a PCM tune just for fans (if you didn't want a full tune). We are also the only ones selling both single PIN and dual PIN set ups.

Didn't mean to step on your toes. I didn't know you guys did them or I certainly would have suggested you in my previous post. :thumbs:

Nelson who ?!?!? :D

Yes, the LS1 or LT1 fans will work but I'd also consider, 2005-up GMT-800's have dual fans too. I'd suggest Nelson performance for the wiring/relays and programming. He's got a nice setup for a very reasonable price. Also can do the PCM tuning for you :thumbs:

x2 on the Nelson harness or Blackbear harness. Some have recommended getting the fans here http://stores.ebay.com/gandrautopartsonline You can get brand new fans from them for $275.00

I personally like E fans but I just want you to have the facts.

E Fans are just as loud or louder than the setup you have now.

The fuel savings for going with the E fan vs the clutch fan is between .5 and .7 MPG

Archived