Electric Cooling Fans

I personally like E fans but I just want you to have the facts.

E Fans are just as loud or louder than the setup you have now.

The fuel savings for going with the E fan vs the clutch fan is between .5 and .7 MPG

+1 on the noise. Instead of the low jet noise, you get a high pitch whine noise. I can't comment on the mileage, but I cannot see that being anything huge for savings (0.5-0.7 sounds reasonable).

Most cars use electric now since it frees up that large space in front of the engine, or they have sideways mounted blocks that don't allow for a regular clutch fan.

Personally, I like the idea of the mechanical fan. At least I know it will be spinning. Blow a fuse or wiring issue, and cooling stops with the electrical unit.

Thank you, and I realize all of that. I drove a buddies truck the other day, same as mine just three years newer with e-fans, and I noticed how much snappier it is and it doesn't have the fan drag when I take off from a stoplight when the engine is warm like mine does with the clutch fan. Mine just seems so much more sluggish because of the fan, and when the fan on mine is engaged and the engine is warm, it just sounds like a jet engine taking off. And I am pretty sure that my clutch is not locked up because I can spin the fan with the engine off and it will spin fine, not locked up at all. Thanks for all the replies

I have the e-fans...I have to be honest...I wish I had the clutch fan....I don't mine if I have worse MPG's. I rather have my trans and engine cooler. I am getting 14.5-15 over all...whats the diff if I lose .5 mpg's...lol

that is just my .02

but both are good. I just like the clutch better.

• 1 year later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 05 & up radiators bigger than the 03 & 04 models?

yes you are correct, they went to a wider radiator.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 05 & up radiators bigger than the 03 & 04 models?

yes you are correct, they went to a wider radiator.

So the 98-02 fans off of a Camaro will fit like a glove? Same Radiator I assume? I also see Zirgo makes a 16 inch electric fan that moves 3630 cfm's. Would this be enough for a truck that never tows anything?

Archived