Factory Radio Output Wattage

Does anyone know how many watts the factory non bose stereo puts out in a 2008 Silverado? I want to install some aftermarket speekers, but I'm not really interested in adding an amp because of all the horror stories about amplified turn signals and about how cheesey the PAC chime output module sounds. I like the clean look of the factory radio but it seems that you have to replace the Head unit and use PACs OEM-3 wiring harness, but then you loose your factory XM radio. Is there any way to keep the factory head unit and maintain all its functionality (fade, balance) while adding better speakers? Will it power a set of desent component speakers? Any help anyone could give would be appreciated.

You will be disappointed with components hooked up to the factory radio. If your dead set on keeping the factory radio, buy some good 2-way speakers for all 4 doors...make sure the speakers you pick have low RMS power handling. Speakers with high power handling have a more robust moter and a stiffer surround that will not really get moving with the 3-5 watts the stock head unit produces.

I agree you will be disappointed with just a speaker upgrade.

I initially changed all 4 speakers to run off the stock head unit.

I was not happy with the difference it made. I wanted more power and a better sound!!

I installed an amp using a pac connector to hook up to the stock head unit.

this has made an enormous difference and is what i should have done from the start.

I ran just the rear channel from the pac connector to the amp. Then I used a splitter rca cable to feed the signal to the front and rear on my amp. By doing this I lost the front to rear fade but that is something I never ever used so for me it was really no loss.

Right now,I have the rear speakers working off the amp. I have not wired the front speakers yet. I found that the front speakers are still powered by my head unit.

This weekend I intend to power the front speakers with the amp. While I am in there I am going to relocate 1 of the old original door speakers up under the dash and use the factory wiring to power it. My plan is for this speaker to supply the volume/sound for the chimes and the bluetooth.

I have read others have had success setting up systems this way and thought why not give it a try.

once i get everything done i will post my results.

Archived