Temperature Sensor, Sierra, 4.3l, 2008

Hi, I'm trying to located the temperature sensor for a GMC Sierra, 2008, 4.3L WT. The temperature guage dropped to zero, the radiator fans went on, the engine light lit, and a message within the speedometer said "engine hot, air conditioner turned off." I checked the top radiator hose (which is hot) and have coolant in the reservoir. I was curious if the thermostat was working as well. The truck does not over heat...I have kept the inside heat on high, just to be sure there are no issues with over heating.

But, i'm at a loss to the location of the temperature sensor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 11 months later...
Hi, I'm trying to located the temperature sensor for a GMC Sierra, 2008, 4.3L WT. The temperature guage dropped to zero, the radiator fans went on, the engine light lit, and a message within the speedometer said "engine hot, air conditioner turned off." I checked the top radiator hose (which is hot) and have coolant in the reservoir. I was curious if the thermostat was working as well. The truck does not over heat...I have kept the inside heat on high, just to be sure there are no issues with over heating.

But, i'm at a loss to the location of the temperature sensor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem. If you haven't found the sensor yet it is on the drivers side down by the spark plug closer to the firewall. I have disconnected the connector on mine and the guage will drop off like when the problem happens, which is intermittently. Have you replaced yours yet? Did it help? It seems strange that the problem will come and go at random times. I have tapped the sensor with a hammer etc... and nothing seems to make the problem either begin to happen or go away, except time.

Same thing happend with my 2008 silverado it is the thermostat, had the dealer replace it under original warranty. If I remember correctly the extended warranty if you happen to have it does not cover it but you can try

haven't had any problems since good luck.

• 4 months later...

I have found This is a common problem. GM engineers have apparently decided that if the engine temperature is too low (example 195deg) that they will display "engine too hot turning ac off". I had the same problem and replaced the engine temperature sensor but that didn't fix the problem. I had GM replace the thermostat and that fixed the problem. It doesn't make sense to display this on an engine that is too cool, but that is how it works. If the thermostat begins to stay open too much the engine will run too cool and cause this problem

Archived