2008 Cruise Control Problems

• 6 months later...

Ok, so I had the problem with the break control switch but now the cruise is completely out. I even tried another switch just to make sure I didn't get a bad one. Any suggestions? I've almost almost contemplated taking it to the dealer! Any suggestions?

Edited by txab
dbl post

• 3 weeks later...

I personally have installed 4 of these switches after the dealer replaced 2 of them on my 2008 Silverado Z71. Still out of the blue I will be driving down the road and my brake lights will come on without the pedal being pressed. Then my cruise turns off and I get Stability Trak Errors and Traction Control Errors until I shut the truck off and restart. I am beginning to hate this truck. I have a 1999 Sierra that I have never had any issues with other than rust. It has 250,000 on original engine and transmission.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I will try this fix on my wife's 2011 Yukon XL but thought I would share her weird symptom. Her cruise doesn't work when it's cold out.

We are returning from the airport now. The car was parked at -1* F and was heating up to 20 when we left the lot. The steering wheel light would go on but you could not set the speed. After 10 minutes of driving at 20* she could set the speed and the cruise works fine.

She says this happens all the time.

• 1 month later...

I first notice the issue when my trailer brakes wouldn't release. Changed the brake switch 6 months ago, and now getting stabilitrac and traction control errors. My wife asked me a few weeks ago why I kept my brakes on for half mile when leaving for work one day, which got me investigating further. I did some testing where every time after I used my brakes, I tried the cruise and the times it didn't work, I tapped the brakes and it would then work. It was to the point that I could predict when the traction control and stabilitrac errors would come on, and when I verified with the cruise that the brakes weren't on I would not get the errors. The 1st switch I put in was aftermarket, this time I went to a dealer, for what its worth, he told me that I'm the 2nd or 3rd guy that has come in there after they tried aftermarket switches because the problem came back. I purchased the OEM part and just finished replacing it, hoping I don't have to do it again.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I think you guys may have a pedal return spring issue other than the switch, if you have to tap your pedal sideways for the cruise to work it is often because the pedal hasn't returned to detent position. Sometimes just spraying the hinge with lubricant will cure this too but occasionally the spring will have to be replaced or the whole pedal assembly.

Edited by Coby7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is years old, but I still wanna thank everyone for the input. I just purchased a 2011 Silverado 1500 and was pretty mad my cruise didn’t work. $28 and half an hour of bending in ways I can’t comprehend, my cruise is working as it should.