Retractable Under Hood Light..

ok so I discovered that my 2010 Avalanche doesn't have an under-hood/engine light.. WTH is that about? some bean counter needed to save $15 to justify the $53K price tag on this truck..

anyhow, so my 1996 had a retractable lamp that you could use for changing tires and such, it had like a 20' cord on it..

does anyone know the part number of that unit, I would like to retro fit it into my new $53K truck that seems to be lacking the most basic feature (hell the Girl Friends Camry Hybrid has one)..

ok so I discovered that my 2010 Avalanche doesn't have an under-hood/engine light.. WTH is that about? some bean counter needed to save $15 to justify the $53K price tag on this truck..

anyhow, so my 1996 had a retractable lamp that you could use for changing tires and such, it had like a 20' cord on it..

does anyone know the part number of that unit, I would like to retro fit it into my new $53K truck that seems to be lacking the most basic feature (hell the Girl Friends Camry Hybrid has one)..

I know what you mean, my '07 GMC Sierra doesn't have an under hood light at all. not one on the bottom of the hood, and not the retractable one you speak of that was on earlier 90's models. Just goes to show you how many people service their own vehicle anymore. jm2c

I want a dang hood light too!

Ha ha ha! That light was the best idea GM ever had. I don't know why they went away from it. I actually have one sitting at home in a box. I keep saying that I'm going to put in my Tahoe.

I pulled it off of a 1989 Sierra that I wrecked. I will try to remember to look at it tonight to see if I can get a part number off of it for you.

Ha ha ha! That light was the best idea GM ever had. I don't know why they went away from it. I actually have one sitting at home in a box. I keep saying that I'm going to put in my Tahoe.

I pulled it off of a 1989 Sierra that I wrecked. I will try to remember to look at it tonight to see if I can get a part number off of it for you.

thank you that would be great.. I found one on ebay but the seller said he wasn't sure if it worked.... :uhoh:

Those dim underhood reel lights never did much for me. Seems like carrying a good LED flashlight would be a much better solution.

I agree. They were dim....but at least it's ALWAYS there so it's good peace-of-mind. :uhoh: I believe the GM p/n is 15990293. They aren't cheap though... $75+. Not sure how to wire it up in the fuse box, but that can't be difficult.

Those dim underhood reel lights never did much for me. Seems like carrying a good LED flashlight would be a much better solution.

I agree. They were dim....but at least it's ALWAYS there so it's good peace-of-mind. :uhoh: I believe the GM p/n is 15990293. They aren't cheap though... $75+. Not sure how to wire it up in the fuse box, but that can't be difficult.

Finding power is easy. There are a couple of 12V blocks underhood in the GMT900. Add an inline fuse and you are good to go!

ok I found the part # 12341801 looks to be discontinued:

however LMC Truck shows a replacement part # and in stock:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=149

as for it being dim, nothing a good LED replacement bulb can't fix..

and wiring won't be an issue, there are some AUX fuse locations on the box as well as the cheap simple way of using an add-a-circuit, or get creative and put in a mercury switch on the hood.. not a big deal..

15990293 is a good part number (1997 and newer) only $55 on gmpartsdirect.com the one on ebay is $30 plus $20 shipping with no guarranty it works so this looks like the way to go..

thank you very much..

I'm working on retrofitting one into my '07.

Went to the dealer, they can't order them, for ANY year. Was at the wreckers.. they're IMPOSSIBLE to find in one piece.. You know why? MERCURY apparently. They have built in mercury switches. And apparently the guy at the wreckers was saying they remove them when the vehicle is wrecked and sold, due to the toxic material. All the GMs I found (Trucks, Jimmys, Caddys, etc), had the socket, frame, bulb, wires, but were all missing this small thing (looks like a bullet) that contained the mercury.

I FINALLY found one out of a '92 F150 (I know, a FORD) that still had the mercury switch component. (Probably because it was inside a plastic housing, where as the GM ones were right at the base of the bulb) Anyway, bought the whole harness for $3, and now to rig it up under my hood.

Checked on GM PArts direct, and they say you can buy the GM underhood light for $15.36 ... I wonder how they get around the whole mercury thing? I doubt you could just ship a "hazardous material" ? Was I given wrong information?

The dreaded mercury capsule

DSCN4996x800.jpg

I'm working on retrofitting one into my '07.

Went to the dealer, they can't order them, for ANY year. Was at the wreckers.. they're IMPOSSIBLE to find in one piece.. You know why? MERCURY apparently. They have built in mercury switches. And apparently the guy at the wreckers was saying they remove them when the vehicle is wrecked and sold, due to the toxic material. All the GMs I found (Trucks, Jimmys, Caddys, etc), had the socket, frame, bulb, wires, but were all missing this small thing (looks like a bullet) that contained the mercury.

I FINALLY found one out of a '92 F150 (I know, a FORD) that still had the mercury switch component. (Probably because it was inside a plastic housing, where as the GM ones were right at the base of the bulb) Anyway, bought the whole harness for $3, and now to rig it up under my hood.

Checked on GM PArts direct, and they say you can buy the GM underhood light for $15.36 ... I wonder how they get around the whole mercury thing? I doubt you could just ship a "hazardous material" ? Was I given wrong information?

The dreaded mercury capsule

DSCN4996x800.jpg

there are 2 models, one with the mercury switch that turned on/off when hood lifted/closed and one without (didn't come on/off when hood was opened/closed)

the newer part number listed above 15990293 is the second unit, no mercury switch.. there is a write-up how-to on the avalanche forums with regard to it..

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcn...;prev_next=next

Look at any GM OEM online parts house & they show the hood components, consisting of a fixed and reel light.

I'm looking @ new gmparts.com, under 1997 chevy c/k pickup which shows both types of lights.

I got mine from a wrecked 199X chevy, works fantastic at night and I don't have to worry about dead batteries.

It unwinds from the front all the way to the back of my truck.

FYI the newer Chevy / GMC vans ie 2005ish and later have underhood lights on them that are very easy to grab. They appear to be very simple to install on the GMT900 bodies too.

and how are they controlled? mercury? pin switch? Reel or stationary?

Archived