Top Ten Fuel Saving Tips....

GasBuddy.com Top Ten Fuel Saving Tips

1. Avoid High Speeds

As your speed increases, your aerodynamic drag increases in an exponential fashion. Driving 62 mph (100 km/h) vs 75 mph (120 km/h) will reduce fuel consumption by about 15%.

2. Do Not Accelerate or Brake Hard

By anticipating the traffic and applying slow steady acceleration and braking, fuel economy may increase by as much as 20%.

3. Keep Tires Properly Inflated

Keep tire air pressure at the level recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. A single tire under inflated by 2 PSI, increases fuel consumption by 1%.

4. Use A/C Sparingly

When the air conditioner is on it puts extra load on the engine forcing more fuel to be used (by about 20%). The defrost position on most vehicles also uses the air conditioner.

5. Keep Windows Closed

Windows open, especially at highway speeds, increase drag and result in decreased fuel economy of up to 10%.

6. Service Vehicle Regularly

Proper maintenance avoids poor fuel economy related to dirty air filters, old spark plugs or low fluid levels.

7. Use Cruise Control

Maintaining a constant speed over long distances often saves gas.

8. Avoid Heavy Loads

Remove the sand bags from your trunk in the spring and pack lightly for long trips.

9. Avoid Long Idles

If you anticipate being stopped for more than 1 minute, shut off the car. Restarting the car uses less fuel than letting it idle for this time.

10. Purchase a Fuel Efficient Vehicle

When buying a new vehicle examine the vehicle's rated fuel efficiency. Usually choosing a small vehicle with a manual transmission will provide you with great fuel economy.

Laughed my ass of on the last one, but some good tips overall.....

P.S.

Can't seem to get the last line of my quote in the quote box to save my life!?

GasBuddy.com Top Ten Fuel Saving Tips

1. Avoid High Speeds

As your speed increases, your aerodynamic drag increases in an exponential fashion. Driving 62 mph (100 km/h) vs 75 mph (120 km/h) will reduce fuel consumption by about 15%.

2. Do Not Accelerate or Brake Hard

By anticipating the traffic and applying slow steady acceleration and braking, fuel economy may increase by as much as 20%.

3. Keep Tires Properly Inflated

Keep tire air pressure at the level recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. A single tire under inflated by 2 PSI, increases fuel consumption by 1%.

4. Use A/C Sparingly

When the air conditioner is on it puts extra load on the engine forcing more fuel to be used (by about 20%). The defrost position on most vehicles also uses the air conditioner.

5. Keep Windows Closed

Windows open, especially at highway speeds, increase drag and result in decreased fuel economy of up to 10%.

6. Service Vehicle Regularly

Proper maintenance avoids poor fuel economy related to dirty air filters, old spark plugs or low fluid levels.

7. Use Cruise Control

Maintaining a constant speed over long distances often saves gas.

8. Avoid Heavy Loads

Remove the sand bags from your trunk in the spring and pack lightly for long trips.

9. Avoid Long Idles

If you anticipate being stopped for more than 1 minute, shut off the car. Restarting the car uses less fuel than letting it idle for this time.

10. Purchase a Fuel Efficient Vehicle

When buying a new vehicle examine the vehicle's rated fuel efficiency. Usually choosing a small vehicle with a manual transmission will provide you with great fuel economy.

Laughed my ass of on the last one, but some good tips overall.....

I'm thinking that cruise was affecting my mpg's badly. I always use cruise when I can, but recently I'm not using it at all and so far it's helping my gas mileage a lot. It's only been 3 tanks since I've started my experiment so it's not conclusive yet, but I've gotten almost 2 mpg's more in the Silverado and 3 mpg's in my Taco and that's with winter gas.

I've been curious about using cruise control & mpg. On my previous truck (Sonoma) the cruise control seemed to hurt the gas mileage, but on this truck I've never really gotten conclusive tests done either way. When I do engage cruise control I always end up in a traffic jam so I can't use it long enough to tell.

Interesting, I will have to give it a try next tank. I usually use the cruise due to a disorder I have, where my right foot is composed of lead.... Maybe I can overcome this.... :(

I know that all to well. I moved not to long ago and where I've lived for the last 10 years you would be hard pressed to find a speed limit slower than 35mph, now that's the top speed unless I use the freeway.

Number 1 makes sense, but did not work out for me in practice. I make several trips between Phoenix and Los Angeles using E85 each year and normally I get about 15-16 MPGs with highway speeds around 75. One trip I kept my speed at 65 (RPMs below 2000) and my mileage increased by only 1...and I also had a newly-installed bed cover which may have gave me that 1 MPG. No cruise control was used at that time, but I just installed one so i'll see how well it helps in a few weeks when I make another run.

number 9 is horseshit, only way it would be true is if you were idleing for 20-30 minutes...i idle a good 5 minutes before driving and my mileage isen't effected..they also diden't factor in the wear and tear from restarting over and over and over...i've seen so many of these lists and they all contradict each other...some say cruise improves mileage, some say they don't...best tip ever is not to have a lead foot or to not drive like you stole it

Archived