Vibration When Afm Puts Truck In 4 Cylinder Mode

I drove my in laws Honda mini van last wk for a wk and it had the same vibration in cylinder deactivation mode. More noticeable at lower speeds just like my truck, if a Honda does it must be normal. I generally run m5 under 60mph when I have my afm turned on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but for future readers, I think I can add some knowledge. I certainly don't think this is related to the exhaust. Nor is it related to how fast you are going, or if you're coasting. It happens when you're coasting because that's when AFM kicks in. What's odd about it is it gets progressively worse as time goes by. I do think it's lifter related. I've had my 07 tahoe engine rebuilt. Mainly the lifters replaced as I had major misfires. The lifters on these vehicles are hydraulic lifters and have a tiny hole that oil has to go through. That's just an FYI. Not sure if it's related. Replacing The lifters did not fix The vibration issue. The vibration is more pronounced at lower speeds and will stop before you come to a stop but only because AFM shuts off. Just look at the V8/V4 mode display. This becomes more obvious the worse the vibration gets. Seeing as how this didn't happen to the vehicle in the first 50k miles or so means there's definitely a way to fix it. If it can get worse, it can get better. Hopes this gets some people closer to figuring this out

• 1 year later...

I have an 08 5.3l that is now just over 110k, this past weekend, just as the previous post mentions.  i get a bad shutter and vibration when tooling around town, and coming to stop signs.  the AFM doesnt deactivate until the truck stops.  or, it will deactivate when i hit the brakes harder.  but at normal driving, the vibration is due to the AFM not deactivating correctly.  wish there was a way to turn it off in the menus on the dash.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 5:20 PM, bhaluszka said:
Document ID: 4080736
#PI1413: Diagnostic Tip for Vibration, Shudder or Roughness While Driving at Low Steady Speeds in V4 Mode - (Feb 12, 2015)

1.) So this got totally ignored? Possible valve body issue. Broken spring will not toss a code. No sensor monitors that. 

2.) If the AFM is staying on to zero mph that's a programming issue that is solvable. Shouldn't be on under 10 mph no matter what gear is has in it. If you speedometer and tach works your PCM is getting the data it needs. 

3.) If it didn't do it for XXX miles and then....it shows up something failed. C'mon people. 

4.) M5 or a Range or Tune delete of the AFM is a band-aid on a gun shot wound. It doesn't fix anything. Broken stuff unfixed tends to break other stuff. :shakehead:

5.) If deleting the AFM makes it go away it isn't a lifter issue....think about it. A collapsed lifter is a LOCKED LIFTER and it wont heal itself by putting the truck in M5, Range or tune delete. The inner and outer shells have fused together. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/25/2011 at 9:48 PM, abschnick said:

I have the exact same issue with my 07 Sierra cc nnbs. When it drops into v4 mode, usually at highway speed, I start to get a slight vibration. Almost like a humming noise. As soon as I hit the gas and it goes into v8 the vibration goes away. Seems like it only does it when traveling at a constant speed in the v4 mode. Very annoying.

I have the exact same problem.  Did you find a solution?