2500hd 6.0l Gas Mileage.

07 NBS long box xtcab 4wd auto 6lt gas last 2 tanks hyw miles in snow and slush 18.1 mpg. during the summer pulling 8,500 lb. trailer avg 12.5 mpg. and packing a 3,500 lb. camper it also avg. 12.5 mpg. but in very cold weather short hops never really warming up gets 60 to 65 miles less per tank full .

I just boght a 2006 2500hd crew 2wd 3 months ago. I'm new to the site but before I registered I thought I read some blogs where guys said they had the same truck crew cab and ext. cab. with the 6.0 gas. Anyone on here who says they are getting 14, 15 and even 16 miles to the gallon with the 6.0 does math like my 6 year old. I don't know what i'm doing wrong but around town the best I have done is 10.1. I have talked to mechanics all over the place only ones who have themselves or deal with only Chevy and it's the same answer everytime I'm being told I'm stuck that is the best I'm goin to get I was told by one guy If I changed the exhaust system put a throttle body spacer on and a cold air intake I might just might get 2 more miles to the gallon. This guy has been a mechanic with the local Chevy dealership for 33 years I think he knowa what he is talking about. But it is what it is the gas mileage sucks but I can't think of any other vehicle I'd rather be driving.

• 4 weeks later...
wow I topped it off and it says I will get a whopping 328 miles out of 36 gallon tank

OUCH!!! :thumbs: At least youcan run it on Regular 87 octane.

On the bright side,even at 10 mpg the difference in fuel cost and maintenance and initial $8000 for the Duramax/Allison you still come out ahead in the long run unless you are towing HUGE loads often.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Chevy 2500HD ECLB 6.0 Gasser and I usually get 16.5+ mpg on the interstates with camping gear in the bed and a roll-up tonneau cover. My best mileage is on flat terrain with the RPM's just under 2,000, around 70 mph. If I go over 2,000 rpm's, the mileage goes 'SOUTH' in a hurry. For some reason, I seem to get better mileage at elevations above 5,000 feet, like I-40 across New Mexico and Arizona.

Well this winter i have been averaging 14MPG's but i drive on roads that im always doing about 55 but i also have a lot of hills to climb. I just loaded up the performance tune from my brothers superchips programmer and now the truck says im getting 15.2 average. In case you are wondering i do have 265's but i have been hand calculating everything before the tuner. This was the first tank and my wife didn't right down gallons and trip miles yesterday when she filled up so i'll try to get some numbers for you guys soon on hand calculations with the tuner. Also the truck said my average was 13.4-.6 before the tuner and with the tire difference and doing proper calculations it was coming out to right at 14MPG's

I went on a day trip on Monday and ran into a strong headwind (20+) most of the way. I ran at the speed limits (70 on freeway), 156 miles each way, with about 20 of that city (130 freeway for each segment). The DIC showed 13.8 for the trip down. I reset the average fuel when I got back on the freeway coming home (mild winds), the DIC reported from 15-18 during the 130 miles, finishing at 16.3 when I pulled in the garage.

I am anxious to get it filled up and hand calculate the mileage since the last fillup, but I expect high 14s at least. I have just over a 1000 miles on truck now.

• 6 months later...

Old thread but thought I would add, I've never seen numbers that high for the 6.0, my 03 H2 has stock tires 325 35inch bfg A/t and the 4:10 gearing, granted it's all wheel drive, but I average 10.7mpg for city and highway during normal day to day operation, if I take a road trip I might get 12, but that's with a strong tail wind

• 1 month later...

Nearing 5000 miles on my 2011 2500HD GMC crew-cab short bed with 3.73s. Solid 14+ MPG, just shy of 15.

I must say I baby it, rarely getting after it, and staying on the low-side of the speed limit (ie: 63 in a 65, 73 in a 75, etc). Most of it is highway, MPG drops swiftly if I'm in town. I attribute this mainly to the 6-speed auto tranny which the manual says is designed for longevity. As such, it rarely slips the torque converter and stays in power gear at low speeds. Try as I might, she won't shift into OD when I'm on the city streets (35mph), and I'm lucky to get it under 1500 RPM. It's nice to have the torque on tap, but the gas mileage sucks with the engine reved up like that. That said, she gets better MPG than my '97 5.7L long bed extended cab with the 5-spd, even with it in neutral on the down hill.

Ocassionaly I'll get after it, just to clear out the cylinders (--nah, mainly to enjoy the V8 exhaust growl).

I could probably get in the 15, but I'm a sucker for the remote start. Awesome to have AC cooling in the summer and heat in the winter.

I really have to be careful how I drive the 6.0, or you pay for it at the pump. This was not true of my '02 540i. I could drive the Bimmer like I stole it and still got 23MPG on the interstate with the V8.

Haven't done any towing with it yet.

Archived