Making Factory Remote Start Run Longer

Best way is to throw it into the woods and get a real autostart! I wish they would quit selling this junk that doesn't work.

actually, it's integrated quite well in to the truck... it won't start with the hood open, for safety reasons, it can monitor coolant temp and engine oil pressure, it will automatically select proper climate control regardless of the setting you leave it on based on outside temps and it will even turn on the seat warmers.... sounds WAY better than any aftermarket solution I've heard of.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best way is to throw it into the woods and get a real autostart! I wish they would quit selling this junk that doesn't work.

There is always someone who has to bash GM.

I like my remote start system and have no need to go to an aftermarket, warranty killing remote starter that will not warm up my truck's interior and seats in winter or cool my ass with cooled seats in the summer...intelligently

There's gotta be a "run time" setting somewhere :lol: Having to do it twice is kinda silly in my eyes.

While I agree with you on this, I'll take the "pushing buttons" twice for now. I am just going to push them twice in a row and let it run for 20 minutes. It'll be nice & warm by the time I get in.

that's not going to work..

the second push extends the time from the time it is pushed, if you do it twice at the beginning it is still 10 min.

you have to do it, wait up to 10 min to do it again..

first = 10 min, then after 5 min second = 10 more min (or a total of 15)

has nothing to do with not working, and it isn't any more a piece of junk than any other factory remote start.

it has to do with State and Federal regulations regarding the running of an unattended vehicle.. 10 minutes is the Federal Mandate.. aftermarket equipment is not under the same scrutiny or jurisdiction.

be glad you aren't in Australia, remote start or leaving a vehicle running and unattended is illegal and punishable by impound.

I'm sorry that GM or any Car Manufacturer has to follow rules and can't make everything please everyone.. That is why there is an aftermarket for this stuff.. you don't like the OEM, don't buy it..

Both crowds here....some will buy it as long as it says GM on it no matter if it is a chromed piece of dog turd. My compustar turns on the heater/AC/heated seats/mirrors/rw defrost and I don't have to have my hand on the hood for it to work. Starts multiple times runs for more than 10 minutes at a time and has range the GM one can only dream of. That GM autostart is my biggest pet peeve, and I will always bash it.

I for one have the extended range 2-way remote and it's got plenty of distance now. Just doesn't run long enough for me, and quite frankly think the double duty programming to extend the time is stupid. :(

Both crowds here....some will buy it as long as it says GM on it no matter if it is a chromed piece of dog turd. My compustar turns on the heater/AC/heated seats/mirrors/rw defrost and I don't have to have my hand on the hood for it to work. Starts multiple times runs for more than 10 minutes at a time and has range the GM one can only dream of. That GM autostart is my biggest pet peeve, and I will always bash it.

Well mine came from the factory and does all that your does. The only thing it doesn't do is run longer than 10 minutes. A forum member helped me out, so that fixed that problem. As far as distance, how far are you starting your truck from? Mine starts from the house and from where I work just fine. If it is too far, just hold the remote to your neck and run the buttons (it uses your body to help transmit farther, learned that trick at Circuit City when in college). Also, I bet you your remote cost a lot more than the GM remote and there is no factory warranty on your remote start. No need to hate on the GM remote start that mucg.

• 2 years later...

It's junk because you have to be EXTREMELY close to the vehicle to have it actually work. It's going to be -30 tonight where I live, and 10 minutes doesn't do sh-t to warm the vehicle.

I started my 'other' factory equipped truck from my deer stand from 1/4 mile, and it lets me know it was started by flashing a light on the remote and it will run for 20 minutes without further help.

The whole premise of a remote start is to start your vehicle from where you are, not from a very short distance, duh.

Chevy's remote start SUCKS, and defending this piece of crap reeks of cronyism.

Get with the program Chevrolet, and quickly.

has nothing to do with not working, and it isn't any more a piece of junk than any other factory remote start.

it has to do with State and Federal regulations regarding the running of an unattended vehicle.. 10 minutes is the Federal Mandate.. aftermarket equipment is not under the same scrutiny or jurisdiction.

be glad you aren't in Australia, remote start or leaving a vehicle running and unattended is illegal and punishable by impound.

I'm sorry that GM or any Car Manufacturer has to follow rules and can't make everything please everyone.. That is why there is an aftermarket for this stuff.. you don't like the OEM, don't buy it..

Archived