Lower Gears Higher Highway Mpg?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lower gearing would mean lower RPM's at speed, so yes, you would get slightly higher MPG's. Personally though, I would still go with the 3.42 gearing.

Hmm. Here we call a 4:10 a low gear and 3:08 is a high gear. No tow.. go with the 3:08. The six speeed makes up for the rear gear being so high. JMHO :rolleyes:

Lower gearing would mean lower RPM's at speed, so yes, you would get slightly higher MPG's. Personally though, I would still go with the 3.42 gearing.

Hmm. Here we call a 4:10 a low gear and 3:08 is a high gear. No tow.. go with the 3:08. The six speeed makes up for the rear gear being so high. JMHO :sigh:

I should pay more attention in my posts... :rolleyes:

Higher gearing is what I meant :lol:

Don't do this for better mileage! I went from 3.23s to 3.73s and mileage stayed almost exactly the same.

Tends to be what you lose on the highway mileage you gain back in city mileage. Stick to the speed limit and highway mileage will not suffer

I don't understand why everyone is stating that the 3.08 is leaving the truck underpowered. I think you guys are putting a little too much on the 3.42 ratio. With the 6-speed tranny, the 3.08 is like the 3.73 with the 4-speed, that has been stated by many people. Even if you tow, the 3.08 can still pull trailers. I see no problems with the 3.08, my truck gets up and goes!

I don't understand why everyone is stating that the 3.08 is leaving the truck underpowered. I think you guys are putting a little too much on the 3.42 ratio. With the 6-speed tranny, the 3.08 is like the 3.73 with the 4-speed, that has been stated by many people. Even if you tow, the 3.08 can still pull trailers. I see no problems with the 3.08, my truck gets up and goes!

Yes the truck will "get up and go" thats where the six speed comes in. Makes the vehicle accelerate very well with a numerically low ratio (ie 3.08)

Top gear performance without forcing a downshift is where the numerically higher ratio will improve performance and in many cases improve fuel mileage. ie. 3.42 or even better 3.73

The overdrive ratios we have in modern transmissions put the cruise RPM too low and out of the torque peak when combined with 3.08 ratio. Get those RPM's up and improve mileage without excessive downshifting

Hmm. Here we call a 4:10 a low gear and 3:08 is a high gear. No tow.. go with the 3:08. The six speeed makes up for the rear gear being so high. JMHO :rolleyes:

thats the way it is...i deal with gearing, and making gears all the time gotta remember ur driver vs driven...lower the first number in the ratio, the less the pinion has to spin to turn the ring once, giving you a higher ring speed. just like any other. the rear end of a car is just about on the same principle as almost any other bevel gear. the only thing that differs with hypoid gears is that the pinion is offset to the center of the ring. the lower the first number in the ratio the higher its geared. higher=lower gearing

long story short, 3:08 is pretty high...ive heard guys with it and they shift all the time. for the amount its gonna save you in gas vs. 3:42 is it really worth all the annoying shifts every little lump on the road????

Archived