5.3 6 Spd Vs 4.8 4 Spd

Ok I am looking at a deal on a new truck.I know I just bought this one a few months back.I have been trying to get opinion on whay the 6spd does not do better on fuel mileage along with the AFM.The truck I am looking at has the 5.3 with the 6 spd.Everyone says they are getting the same mileage I am getting with my 4.8 4 spd.What are my advantages or disavantages.

Ill tell you right now your gunna love the 6-speed. My GMC is the first 6 speed I own and ill never go back to the old 4 speeds. Just seems to always be in the power band and with the close ratio gears my truck doesnt even break a sweat towing my buddys truck and trailer. I had to get used to it a bit cuz all i have had was the 4 speeds and it shifts a lil different idk how to really explain it but I think you will like it alot.

I went from a 03 4.8/ 4spd to a 09 5.3./6spd

fuel economy is no worse, if anything it's better.

the 6 speed is much better at towing, it does shift a good bit, but that's what it's supposed to do, it's maintaining optimal gearing for the conditions presented.

the 6 speed is much better at towing, it does shift a good bit, but that's what it's supposed to do, it's maintaining optimal gearing for the conditions presented.

I have the 4 speed in 5.3 guy i work with has the 6 speed in the 5.3 its leaps and bounds better. Its stronger, shifts are pretty seemless, trans temp runs MUCH MUCH cooler.. Its a no brainer on which is better... BUT with that said Im not going to trade my truck for it..

Just got back from the dealer drove a 2010 5.3 afm 6spd 4x4 z71.I am worried about the gearing it has the 3.08.Done of the 2010 left has a 3.42.Msrp is $36,850 After rebates it is $30,850.I can get a 2011 5.3 6spd 2wd with the 3.42 gears for the same price.Of course they are trying to stick me on the trade in.

Just got back from the dealer drove a 2010 5.3 afm 6spd 4x4 z71.I am worried about the gearing it has the 3.08.Done of the 2010 left has a 3.42.Msrp is $36,850 After rebates it is $30,850.I can get a 2011 5.3 6spd 2wd with the 3.42 gears for the same price.Of course they are trying to stick me on the trade in.

If the dealer is offering you a different value for the trade in between the two trucks, tell them you don't deal with people that do that and walk away. You negotiate the price of the new vehicle, then negotiate the value of your trade in. There will be a fuel mileage difference between the 2wd and 4wd model. Do you want/need the 4wd? What other options are on the 2011 that is different to the 2010? Keep in mind that the 2010 will be 2 years old in a year, where as the 2011 will be 1 year old.

If the dealer is offering you a different value for the trade in between the two trucks, tell them you don't deal with people that do that and walk away. You negotiate the price of the new vehicle, then negotiate the value of your trade in. There will be a fuel mileage difference between the 2wd and 4wd model. Do you want/need the 4wd? What other options are on the 2011 that is different to the 2010? Keep in mind that the 2010 will be 2 years old in a year, where as the 2011 will be 1 year old.

I would find a dealer that has the truck you want.. @ 30,000 you should be able to get that deal just about anywhere for a 2010 so keep looking.. I would want the 3.42 gears for sure AND 4wd.

I have the 4 speed in 5.3 guy i work with has the 6 speed in the 5.3 its leaps and bounds better. Its stronger, shifts are pretty seemless, trans temp runs MUCH MUCH cooler.. Its a no brainer on which is better... BUT with that said Im not going to trade my truck for it..

I agree. I drove a 010 5.3L w the 3.08 gearing rental for two weeks and I have the 5.3L 4L60E tuned in mine. The 6L80E is a better tranny buy far and the added ratio's always keep the engine in the perfect powerband. Even with the high 3.08 gearing it's better than the 4L60E. T/H mode and added ratio's are far superior for towing. The only thing I did not like was the hunting between 6-4 anytime you reached a grade or wanted to accelerate. I believe the 3.42's would get rid or highy reduce this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I have personal experience with this, I just traded an 09 4.8 4 speed 3.42 rear end on a 2010 5.3 6 speed 3.08. I travel alot from eastern oregon where I live to Portland on I 84. I always drive the same speed 71 mph and go easy up the passes. With my 4.8 the best I ever got was 19.9 over 300 miles (both trucks 4x4's extra cabs empty stock w/ tonneau covers) my 5.3 with AFM has got me 20.5 with less break in miles on it. However for just commuting, they are very close. I am convinced these newer higher epa #'s are tighter than they used to be. For example: My 2007 hhr has epa 22/30 and I can easily get 36 on the above trip to Portland, not even trying. but the newer cars like the cruze with epa 28/42 are probably tuned to get the best on the epa test you might be able to get 42, but not any better. Like my 4.8 was epa 14/18 the 5.3 epa 15/21 and yes I can get over 21 on two lane hwys at 60 but I could with the 4.8 also. If this makes any since at all.

Now about that 6 speed, it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better for towing! and as mentioned previously by someone else, the Tow haul mode rocks, it grade brakes, holds RPM's on flats so you never have to try to get it to downshift when you need it too and also holds you cruise control speed on downhills by downshifting. If you search for the post about "5.3/3.08 not happy" someone else not happy, I love mine. I wrote about how I think the 3.08 6 speed is better than any ratio with the 4 speeds and listed all the gear ratio combos to prove it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 10,500 miles on a 2010 exteded cab,4wd...5.3/6 speed. It tows fine, I get over 18mpg in the city(summer)...got over 13.5 towing a 67GTX on 1 car trailer through PA Hills/mtns with A/c on. The truck is fairly quick when hitting 35-40...really goes then....It's not as good as MY 97 with the 350/ 5 speed stick. That one was way better on mileage and had more balls when towing also

• 3 weeks later...

09 6 speed CC Z71 and stock i could get in the 19s on the interstate from Amarillo to Nashville (best tank was 20.9 with a calculator and a Kansas west Text headwind) and i always set the cruise at 78, GPS confirmed. When i bought it, i drove it off the lot with 119 miles on it and the next day i drove it 1100 miles that exact same route. It started at 16ish and has worked its way to 19. Now i stay about 17.8 to 18.4 but that is with 275 65 Buckshot mud tires and a leveling kit. That mileage is within .2 DIC vs Calculator.

Archived