11 Sierra With Parking Break Assist Light Going Off

11Sierra

So I got done earlier today towing my 6x 10 steel trailer with my new truck (just hit 1000 miles) and the parking assist off...check owners manual..flashed on my screen everytime i started the car up while towing. I figured no big deal. After unhooking trailer it is still going on every time i start the truck. My 08 silverado never did this but it also was not a 4x4. does anyone know why it is doing this or what it means. I saw there is some recall on 11 trucks. Could this be why?

Thanks

Not sure about your p/a but the recalls are for a pin in the rear diff. I don't know if mine is on the list or not.

So I got done earlier today towing my 6x 10 steel trailer with my new truck (just hit 1000 miles) and the parking assist off...check owners manual..flashed on my screen everytime i started the car up while towing. I figured no big deal. After unhooking trailer it is still going on every time i start the truck. My 08 silverado never did this but it also was not a 4x4. does anyone know why it is doing this or what it means. I saw there is some recall on 11 trucks. Could this be why?

Thanks

It automatically turns the backup sensors off when towing. (I assume that's what you're talking about). And when you unhitch, have you also removed the reciever from the truck? If you leave it in the bumper/hitch, it still senses that there is something "right behind" the truck, and thinks your still hitched up. I had this same issue, until I removed the hitch/ball and then the system worked again. Does the same thing if one of the sensors are dirty from mud or whatevr covering it.

It automatically turns the backup sensors off when towing. (I assume that's what you're talking about). And when you unhitch, have you also removed the reciever from the truck? If you leave it in the bumper/hitch, it still senses that there is something "right behind" the truck, and thinks your still hitched up. I had this same issue, until I removed the hitch/ball and then the system worked again. Does the same thing if one of the sensors are dirty from mud or whatevr covering it.

My '10 does the same thing. I wish there was a way to just turn it off so it doesn't beep every so often.

That makes since. I have not removed my hitch but will try it tomorrow. If that is the case I will have them disabled as I like driving around with the hitch and it helps keep people off my rear. If that is it I would consider that a design flaw.

let me know if that is the problem. I'm picking up my new 2011 tomorrow and i'm going to be mad if I can't leave the hitch in there

In some states, leaving the hitch in place without towing can get you a fine. They call them stingers and obviously cause alot of damage to the "offending" vehicle if they hit you. You shouldn't have a problem with the hitch in place though with your backup sensors.

let me know if that is the problem. I'm picking up my new 2011 tomorrow and i'm going to be mad if I can't leave the hitch in there

In some states, leaving the hitch in place without towing can get you a fine. They call them stingers and obviously cause alot of damage to the "offending" vehicle if they hit you. You shouldn't have a problem with the hitch in place though with your backup sensors.

I took it off today and all was fine. At least for now I don't have to worry about going to the dealership. I plan on calling them to see if they can change the angle enough that it is not a problem. I did not know that about other states and a hitch. In Florida if you pull into any home depot almost every truck has a hitch on it.

At least its not a malfunction.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the hitch WILL cause you to get false alarms on the rear sensors at some point. I wanted to keep my hitch in like all of you and sometimes it will set it off right away while others times it wont. Actually I had a hitch in for probably 6 months with no issues and then one day it decided to see the hitch and start going off.

What a great reason to leave the hitch in the truck then! :thumbs: My boss was rear ended in his 98 Silverado by a Camry or something and when he pulled forward he ripped the front off the car, but no damage to his truck. Got out of his truck, handed him his bumper, saw there was no damage to his truck and said goodbye.

Archived