Removing Oil Pressure Sensor In 8.1l Suburban

Gave up again. At least I am at the point where I got a mirror and can see the hole and sensor in the hole. Taking off the valve cover helped gettin gin there. This thing is in the hole and will not start. I made up a tool so I can see it when i get it down there out of heater hose that goes over the sensor connector and a flex drive.

I did notice the new sensor was a little tighter than the one I took out. I have a brass adapter for some gauges and the old one and the new ones screws in fine. The new one is a little tighter and has a smaller angle on the nose. I am ready to buy a new one from a different manufacturer to see if i can get it in maybe the threads are off a little. This is crazy! I have pulled many motors and all kinds of other car stuff over the last 35 years this one takes the cake.

post-27297-1294535664_thumb.jpgpost-27297-1294535685_thumb.jpg

post-27297-1294535664_thumb.jpg

post-27297-1294535685_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Im finally to the point where I am trying to replace it. I cant even reach it all so far. I can reach the crankshaft sensor, but thats it so far. This is a terrible design. Has anyone replaced it with the valvecover on? So far all I have taken off is the drivers side coil pack.

Well, I finished, and it was a bit aggrivating. I found that if I remove the rear coil pack on the drivers side, and lay across the engine with my head angled towards the passenger side, I can reach it. I used a 27MM socket and it fit perfect, once I got he socket on, I used a couple of extensions(Wobble) and managed to get it out. The new one was tricky getting to start, I tried for about an hour with my hand. But no luck. So I took a 6" piece of heater hose(It fit perfect) slid it over the connector, that gave me the leverage to get it started. From there it was just a matter of finding the right extension combo to run it down. Also, reinstalling the wire was fun too:) But my gauge works again, thankfully.

• 3 years later...

Glad you folks posted this, going to get this a third attempt Thursday. This time I'm going to remove the valve cover and disconnect the 2 fuel lines. I took it to 3 different shops and the same thing happened they were looking at alldata says 1hr labor I told them you may want to look at it first, they all came back 280-300 estimate.

One was a dealer.

Archived