New Lifters On '08 Vmax

I'm mostly a lurker here.

Just thought I'd mention that I had the lifter noise on my '08 6.0 VMax L76 engine. The dealer swapped in the upgraded ones today and the lifter noise is gone. Big difference. Pretty happy considering I got new coolant and a free oil/filter change as part of the deal. The truck has never consumed a drop of oil in 42K miles. Hopefully that is still the case.

They also repaired the noisy front windows per another TSB I learned about here.

Thanks for all the good info on this site.

How much complaining did you have to do at the dealer? The lifters on my '08 6.0L truck are noisy in the morning but once the oil and coolant are at normal temps, the lifters settle down to just a light tapping. Standing next to a front fender, it's pretty obvious, but I can't hear any noise inside the cab.

How much complaining did you have to do at the dealer? The lifters on my '08 6.0L truck are noisy in the morning but once the oil and coolant are at normal temps, the lifters settle down to just a light tapping. Standing next to a front fender, it's pretty obvious, but I can't hear any noise inside the cab.

No complaining. I simply asked them to assess my engine to see if it's qualified for the TSB. The next thing I knew they were ordering lifters and gaskets.

Regarding the window TSB, I will see if I can find that tonight.

No complaining. I simply asked them to assess my engine to see if it's qualified for the TSB. The next thing I knew they were ordering lifters and gaskets.

Regarding the window TSB, I will see if I can find that tonight.

Sounds like you got a good dealer...Most of these places you have to complain until your blue in the face, then they give you the "it's within spec/ it's normal" line.

Glad they took care of you.

just give them the tsb on the lifters and the should fix it

#10-06-01-007: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters) - (Aug 13, 2010)

Subject: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters)

Models: 2007 Buick Rainier

2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine (RPOs L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

• Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.

• A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.

• Dirty or contaminated oil.

• A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.

• Debris in the valve lifter.

• A high valve lifter leak down rate.

Correction

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.

? If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.

Note: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the tick noise.

Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.

? If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 16 valve lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.

Part Number

Description

Qty

Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J0627

Valve Lifter Replacement - Both Sides

Use Published Labor Operation Time

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Saab Labor Operation

Description

Failed Object

Fault/Reason Code

Location Code

Warranty Type

Repair/Action Code

STM Labor Time

21421-12

Replace part, Depressor

01 (Replace)

Use Published STM Labor Operation Time

PARTS LIST:

1 12589226 0289 GASKET

1 89060413 3270 GASKET KIT

2 12617944 3270 GASKET

20 11571134 0293 BOLT

10 12558840 0293 BOLT

1 12602048 1251 PLUG

2 12602541 1097 SEAL

1 15077362 3611 SEAL

1 15035747 3611 SEAL

8 12576400 0459 F-LIFTER

8 12632143 0459 LIFTER

1 12346290 8800 COOLANT

6 15032594 3613 NUT

1 11589264 8981 STUD

6 12345610 8800 OIL

1 89017524 1836 FILTER

what is the TSB on the windows?? i just had to pay them to fix mine

It took two visits to get the window scraping noise fixed. The first time they did the following TSB. The second time the invoice said they removed the window and repaired the runchannel. No problems now. Quiet engine. Quiet windows.

Subject: Front Door Window Regulator Squeak Noise When Operated (Apply Lubricant)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a front door glass squeak when operated up or down.

Cause:

There may be insufficient lubrication on the regulator rails.

Correction:

Lubricate BOTH front door regulators at time of repair using the following procedure.

Remove the regulator following SI.

Brush a small amount of lubricant on the entire length of both regulator rails.

Cycle the door glass to verify that the noise is gone.

Reinstall the regulator following SI.

Parts Information:

Part Number - 12371287 (in Canada, 10953437)

Description - Lubricant, Synthetic Multi-Purpose W/PTF

what is the TSB on the windows?? i just had to pay them to fix mine

It took two visits to get the window scraping noise fixed. The first time they did the following TSB. The second time the invoice said they removed the window and repaired the runchannel. No problems now. Quiet engine. Quiet windows.

Subject: Front Door Window Regulator Squeak Noise When Operated (Apply Lubricant)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a front door glass squeak when operated up or down.

Cause:

There may be insufficient lubrication on the regulator rails.

Correction:

Lubricate BOTH front door regulators at time of repair using the following procedure.

Remove the regulator following SI.

Brush a small amount of lubricant on the entire length of both regulator rails.

Cycle the door glass to verify that the noise is gone.

Reinstall the regulator following SI.

Parts Information:

Part Number - 12371287 (in Canada, 10953437)

Description - Lubricant, Synthetic Multi-Purpose W/PTF

I just had mine fixed. I thought it was the window sweep at first. They pulled the panel and lubricated the internals. So far it's quiet.

just give them the tsb on the lifters and the should fix it

My experience with giving a TSB number to a service writer is that I usually get told that it either doesn't apply to my truck, or that the customer (me) may not understand the reasons for the TSB or are misinterpreting the technical information in it. But as it was pointed out, the dealers are not the same when it comes to customer service or wanting to perform warranty work.

The lifters in my 08 6.0L V-Max have a pretty loud ticking noise on first startup in the morning and the ticking can last a good two minutes. With temps now around 40 or less in the morning, I would expect that a service writer would blame any lifter noise on cold ambient air temps and a cold engine. I have always changed oil and filter according to the monitor and always before the DIC warning message. I have used Mobil-1 5W-30 and a Mobil-1 filter from the first oil change on.

Archived