2011 Colorado Remote Start

Hi I am new and have just bought 2011 Colorado. I would like to have remote start but dealer say I can't. So looking on different sights a lot of conflicting information. This is what I have gleaned so far. I need AU0 option which I have. Then need AP8 which I don't have which I understand the dealer can install. Then I need to buy fobs and secret code and dealer can set them up to work. So why are they telling me I can't have it.

• 1 month later...
Go out and buy a Compu-Star system. I guarantee you will be happy with it.

I wanted this option also in my new 2008 GMC Sierra. But also did not have the correct code numbers. So I went without on that truck.

These posters above know much more than I do about aftermarket remote starters. And if they have them and they work fine then listen to them.

Me, I don't want anyone cutting/splicing into any wires on my car/truck. Some installers and some products may be fool proof. But I have had some used cars with remote start and only had issues - granted these cars were older.

They do change your remotes.

On one used car, the prevous owner had installed a remote start and it still did work. It also came with a lifetime warranty. So with a lifetime warranty - how could I go wrong? Well, the lifetime warranty was from Circuit City. Enough said about that warranty.

When the battery wears out on the remote starts that I had. Purchase a new battery and the remote had to be reprogrammed. Some do it for free while others charge money.

Many people have had great success with aftermarket remote start.

I would not do it though. I have a 2010 Colorado and I don't want anyone cutting into my main wiring harness. That's just me though.

I would have to agree with going with an aftermarket Remote Start. I would go with either a Viper or a Compu-Star. I perfer the Vipers. Do Not attemp to install it yourself on that truck. It has not traditional wiring. It is wired very similar to a Cobalt, Malibu, or Hummer H3. There is no starter wire. The vehicle automaticly engages the starter when it sees IGN and a loss of ACC. The Bypass Module handles all of this. You can use an Xpresskit DB-ALL or a Flash-It FL-CAN. I perfer the FL-CAN. Most of your connections will be made from the module directly to the remote start. As most of the commands to the vehicle are handled via Data Bus. If you are shopping around at different shops ask if their installers are MECP certified. This is a big deal. The difference is like having some Joe Shmoe work on your truck vs and ASE or Factory certified tech. If you were to have an electrical problem with the vehicle GM could void your warranty if the tech was not MECP certified. I had a customer who had a remote start put in by one of my co workers and several months later had an unrelated electrical issue. The dealer 1st tried to blame the R/S install and told the customer they were going to void her warranty. I called the dealer and asked them what was going on and they said that they were going to void here warranty. I told them the installer was MECP certified and and provided them with his certification number. the response was "Oh well thats different then." The service manager had assumed it was done by a local shop with out certifed installers. We all know what happens when you assume. :thumbs: Bottom line they fixed her vehicle under warranty and her warranty stayed intact. So do some research on the shop your bringing it to. Check out their work if possible and ask questions about their installers certifications. I install on these kind of vehicles regularly with no issues. However I have seen problems with installs performed by other shops on them. So just be causious and ask questions. It's not a difficult vehicle its just not a traditional wiring lay out which some installers just dont get.

Archived