In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
dzl13

Changed Shocks=abs+stabilitrak+trac Control Problems?

Ok just replaced my air ride rear shocks with rebuilt Arnot. Not to bad but the darn top bolt on the passenger side was hard to get the socket on. In the event of trying to get the socket in to hold the bolt among the lines that run through there, I must have unplugged a wire that has the female end attached to the top of the frame rail. I didn't know this at first so when I started it up the ABS and traction control light came on. After reading this page went back in and found it hanging there and plugged it back in. No more service lights.

2007 GMC Denali

This also happened to me last night. (08 Yukon SLT-no autoride-135000 miles) I changed the the rear shocks and ABS and Stabilitrak Lights came on. I did find and reconnect a connector on top of the frame. This is near the top bolt head of the shock. (passenger side rear wheel) It's an oval shaped connector. Even after reconnect the lights are sitll on.

I did not see a resolution to the orignal post. Is there another wire i could have knocked off? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think any part of the leveling would have caused the warning lights. I think its more probable, that there is a sensor that is disconnected dealing with ABS.

+1 on this.

I created an account just so I can answer this question. The plug for the Rear Driver side ABS sensor is directly behind the top bolt of the rear driver side Shock. When removing the bolt, it is very easy to disconnect the ABS sensor without realizing it. If you follow the cable from your rear driver side caliper or simply feel around behind the top of the shock, you'll find the plug. No need to remove tire or anything. Just crawl under to verify if it's connected.

Good luck to anyone finding this.

I replaced shocks on a 2010 Tahoe today. What I discovered is the speed sensors for the rear wheels have a plastic disconnect coupling right next to the upper shock mounting bolt. So, when you pull on your ratchet or torque wrench, the socket or extension tends to press down on the release tab and causes the speed sensor connector to come apart. Just follow both rear speed sensor wires back to that plastic connector and plug it (or them) back in. Poor design on GM's part. 

I know this post is 7 years old now.  But here I am in 2018 using this post for guidance so I'm putting my 2 cents in because I had the exact problem as the original guy.  Took my 2009 Cadillac Escalade in to get new rear shocks.  When I got it back the lead mechanic told me the ABS light is on and the Stability control light.  He had reset the computer, if they come back on, bring it back it might be a bad sensor... OK, the lights came on before I even left the shop and stayed on for the following day.  Took it back.  He said all I can do is try to reset the computer again, if that doesn't work we'll get you a new sensor: about $250 bucks he says.  Well after researching, he must've meant new sensors for all the wheels bc those things are only 50 bucks each.  Anyway, so I Youtube'd "ABS on after shock replacement" learned where to look and all that (read this forum as well)...  Short story long.  THE ABS SENSOR WAS NOT PLUGGED IN ON BOTH ENDS.  

So for those of you not mechanically inclined, like myself.... check that first.

This posting really helped me out tonight. I have a 2014 Suburban and had the abs and traction control light come on after replacing the rear shocks. Sure enough after reading this article I found that the wheel speed sensor had become unplugged on the passenger side rear. It is located directly on top of the frame rail right where you struggle to get a socket into to remove the upper shock bolt. I plugged it back in and the lights went out as soon as I started it again. 

I have 2007 TAHOE had same issue after changing rear shocks and front struts with stabilitrak and abs lights staying on.  Just went back and retraced and I accidentally unplugged the harness when removing top bolt on driver side rear shock.  Plugged harness back up and all lights are off now.  Thanks for posting previous outcomes, I was at a loss of what problem was.

Posted (edited)

I know I'm like a decade late on this but I have the same problem!  My husband changed both back shocks AND reset the battery and both lights stay on! No change in driving or breaking! I just want the damn lights off the dash! HELP!!!!

Edited by Gargalope