New Kind Of Oil (dexos) For 2011?

jstein55011

Question

I just purchased a 2011 Sierra with the 5.3. I see in the owners manual you need to use a special new grade of motor oil labeled dexos. Is that for real, and if I go to the dealer for an oil change, will they use that or will they just use whatever bulk they buy? Would I be wise to go synthetic and is that okay per warranty?

0 answers to this question

Dexos is a world wide spec for GM cars and trucks.

Dexos l for gas

Dexos ll for diesel. BUT not for Duramax.

Dexos is a synthetic blend that meets all the GM specs that used to require synthetic oils. ( Cadillac and Corvette ). It saves GM money and makes for cheaper maintanence.

I've seen a list of 8-12 current oils that will meet the requirements, but can't remember where.

Mark

Pennzoil Platinum meets the dexos spec, and is synthetic. That is one I know off the top of my head. As time goes on other oil brands may or may not decide to put their oil to gm's test to see if it meets the dexos spec. Dexos is not a special super new special oil, as many available name brands most likely meet this spec, but dont have the official dexos label as of yet.

Edit: Would the dealership use dexos spec. oil? I would think they would have to. But I dont know.

Archived