Rear Main Seal And Oil Pan Gasket Leaks

I have had a little oil present around the bell housing since I noticed it at about 3,500 miles - same issue that others have posted about. I have mentioned this to the dealer at every oil change since then, and they always tell me that the filter can be hard to get off and some oil can be spilt. They tell me the tech was lazy and didnt clean it, and they apologize.

Well this week, however many oil changes later with 27,000 on the clock, I happen to get the master tech who is the only one I let touch my trucks for any real work, and I ask if I can look at with him on the lift. He agreed that there was a leak and added some dye to determine where it is leaking.

Long story short, both the rear main seal and the oil pan gaskets are leaking and the dealer is replacing them tomorrow. I am not happy that my transmission needs to be dropped, but at least I trust the tech doing the work.

My question -

Are there any fluid changes that should be done/other maintenance items that should be done since the trans is being dropped? Service writer says No, nothing at all, but he also told me I didnt have a leak 20,000 miles ago....

In case it matters, the truck is a 2009 1500 CC Z71 with the 5.3L, 6 sp, and 3.42 rear.

thanks in advance

How much was your pan gasket leaking? They said mine is fine even though it looks like its wet from oil, they told me unless I see it leaking they won't fix it. I don't really understand where is the line drawn? Or should I go somewhere else?

We are talking power-train warrenty work to be done here.

I doubt anything should be done to the fluid. My oil pan gasket was replaced at 4,500 miles and the rear main seal and the rear engine plate and seal were replaced also at 6,200 miles. I bought the truck with 5,900 miles on it so I don't know the history behind the first leak, maybe they fixed the wrong gasket, or maybe both of the gaskets were leaking? It appears to be fixed for now. This appears to be a common problem. I can understand a little oil under my 93 Jeep Wrangler, but with a new truck, that's unacceptable.

How much was your pan gasket leaking? They said mine is fine even though it looks like its wet from oil, they told me unless I see it leaking they won't fix it. I don't really understand where is the line drawn? Or should I go somewhere else?

We are talking power-train warrenty work to be done here.

Mine looks wet/has an oil film around the two rear pan bolt heads. I wouldnt have even noticed it, but the tech saw it and said, "its on the lift anyways, might as well make it right". The rear main seal on the other hand would be visibly wet/have drips within about a day of being cleaned up (never noticed it on the dipstick though. I would lose 1/4 qt over about 4500 miles so maybe it was the leak, or the lovely 5.3 AFM we have read so much about on here, or just normal. Maybe I will find out after they fix it and the leaks are gone....

This is my third truck from these guys and they take care of me. A new truck shouldnt leak. I wouldnt be happy if they wouldnt fix it, but then again, it took me 9 months and 20,000 miles of mentioning it for them to take me seriously. Cant hurt to try another dealership. I make it a point to give the dealer the $29 for my oil changes so that I can mention little things and so that they actually get some of my money and not just my warranty complaints.

I seem to have the exact same issue with my 09 5.3. I do the oil myself and have been noticing some oil on the back of the motor and bell housing. Not enough to drip on the floor. I need to get it to the dealer for a look. grrrrr, I hate leaks.

Mines the same way. I have over 70k miles and never a drop on the ground, but the bell housing has oil on it. I just hate to have it tore apart but I hate for it to get worse too.

I had my 07 GMT 900 in the shop for somethings a few weeks ago and told the service writer that I was seeing some oil on the garage floor. He asked me what kind of oil. Told him I thought it was motor oil. Went in the next day to pick it up, and he told me it was the pan gasket. And it was already fixed. No problem at all getting them to look at it or fix it. Truck had only 20,000 miles on it.

Guys,

Excuse my lack of knowledge - but where is the "bell housing"? I would like to check mine as my warranty runs out in a few weeks.

Cheers

Here is a photo of it. It is located directly behind the oil filter and drain plug and it will have the silver picthured inspection plug as seen in the photo.

post-86440-1295492788_thumb.jpg

Just got my 08 5.3 back from the shop today. It only has 13,500 miles on it. They replaced the rear main seal AND the oil pan gasket. IMO if you have a leak, whether the oil is making it to the floor or not, MAKE THEM FIX IT. It's obvious that this is a somewhat common problem and GM can't deny that.

Guys,

Excuse my lack of knowledge - but where is the "bell housing"? I would like to check mine as my warranty runs out in a few weeks.

Cheers

Here is a photo of it. It is located directly behind the oil filter and drain plug and it will have the silver picthured inspection plug as seen in the photo.

Thanks for the picture....but where is the camera positioned?

Is it just a matter of looking under the truck or can I see this when the hood is open?

Cheers

Guys,

Cheers

Thanks for the picture....but where is the camera positioned?

Is it just a matter of looking under the truck or can I see this when the hood is open?

Cheers

The camera is under the truck, looking forward. You can see the bottom of the oil filter in the left side of the photo (its white).

well i got the truck back this evening, we shall see if the leaks stopped. When I looked at the work, the filter and sway bar were covered in oil, so I wiped that clean and will keep an eye on it - I hope they just didnt clean it up as it was the end of the day.

On another note, this is what the paperwork said:

Remove Transmission, Replace Rear Main Seal Gasket – 4.6 hrs

Replace Oil Pan Gasket – 2.5 hrs

Noticed Left Front Marker Light Out, Replace bulb – 0.7 hrs

Knowing how to replace a lightbulb - PRICELESS

Thank god for warranties

well i got the truck back this evening, we shall see if the leaks stopped. When I looked at the work, the filter and sway bar were covered in oil, so I wiped that clean and will keep an eye on it - I hope they just didnt clean it up as it was the end of the day.

On another note, this is what the paperwork said:

Remove Transmission, Replace Rear Main Seal Gasket – 4.6 hrs

Replace Oil Pan Gasket – 2.5 hrs

Noticed Left Front Marker Light Out, Replace bulb – 0.7 hrs

Knowing how to replace a lightbulb - PRICELESS

Thank god for warranties

Good Luck!

Archived