Your Opinion...4x4 Trucks With Open Rear Diff

What is the general concensus around here??

Came across some great buys over the 'net

Dealer is practically giving away 2011 Silverado LT Ext Cab trucks

Yes, they are 4x4 trucks, but there is a snag

They are a basic LT package, and they have open rear axles

Now, we all know the latest rear locking diffs operate only between 10-25 mph; then they disengage back to open rear end

Would you guys think that having the actual 4x4 system would overcome the "open diff" factor; as far as traction is concerned??

Or stay away from it??

My neighbor and I are debating this. Actually we are BOTH considering an upgrade...considering the price...

I know some folks on this site like to dump on the g80, but in my opinion it is the greatest factory option available on a 4x4 truck, and it is what separates GM from the other manufactures as far as OEM 4x4 performance is concerned. Don't get me started on my 07 Tundra adventure and how badly I missed the g80 of my GM trucks. For the price of the locker it's the biggest value on these trucks in my opinion.

my '11 Ram has the open rear. it works ok in the snow, but the traction control works it into an almost limited slip type. i'm not sure how the GM open rear works with the traction control. if it's like the Dodge, i would go for it if they're "giving it away"..

I like to have a G80, it would always be my preference ... but I would not turn down a really good deal that did not have one

.. you can always get a G80 installed later, or even some other rear locking differential

My 2010 2500 Yukon XL 4x4 has the locker and so did my 2004 GMC 2500 HD 8.1 4x4.

I would always get a truck with the G80 unless it was such a great deal without one if it had everything else I needed or wanted.

Besides you can always have one put in if you really wanted one (albeit a lot more expensive than from the factory).

Don't pass up a great deal on something that will work for you if it's missing just one thing (unless you think you'll be trading it next year just because of that).

But realistically the dealer isn't losing money even at the price he is offering this truck to you, so you could probably order a truck just how you want and get the same or better price.

Go for it if you like the deal.

When I had my 2wd Sierra the g80 made my truck completely drivable in snow on the street. My 09' Ram 4x4 has open differentials and it drove great (once again, ON THE STREET) in the Chicago blizzard of 2011. We 19" of snow and HUGE drifts all over. I was driving around my neighborhood "playing" in the snow and not once did I feel like I would get stuck.

Now, I would never try to go in deep mud or deep snow offroad without a locker or good lsd but for street use 4x4 alone will be just fine in any amount of snow.

The gov-loc is a POS it is open till you have WAY too much wheelspin and then is open again at speed.

Buy the open diff truck and spend $800 putting a real posi in it.

In snow I will take my Roadmaster wagon with the stock Auburn clutch posi over the truck in 2wd. It actually pushes with BOTH tires before you get a lot of wheelspin.

IMO the guys saying the gov-loc is good just haven't actually driven a properly functioning posi to know what good is.

The gov-loc full coupling under heavy wheelspin probably would win out in a mud hole, but on the street hell no.

Super Stealth care to share what dealer that is? I am in WI too, near Appleton.

Archived