Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mine is an 07 with the 5.3 and AFM. I use Mobil 1 or Penzoil Synthetic oil with a Wix oil filter. I changed my oil this weekend with 5000 miles on it. When I drained the oil into the pan, I put it back into the one of the old oil bottles. It filled the bottle back to just over 4 quarts. It takes about 6 quarts to fill the truck to the line.

I used about 2 quarts in about 5000 miles.

When I drained the oil into the pan, I put it back into the one of the old oil bottles. It filled the bottle back to just over 4 quarts. It takes about 6 quarts to fill the truck to the line.

Just curious if anyone knows how accurate this is? I am sure there is a certain amount that does not drain out of the truck. Also did you drain the oil out of the filter into the bottle?

• Like 1

I've had to put 2 qts in it since december. appx. 6k miles in that time span. Truck has 12k miles on it. 2010, 5.3

it "runs out" and I start getting valve tick.

very angry about this, but I don't know what I can do about it other than take it to the dealer and hear the "it aint doin it right now" story.

Edited by darkfox1

I know, I know, this isn't a truck but I do own it and have noticed this past 1.5yrs it has been using oil between oil changes.

It's a 06 Uplander w/ the 3.9L VVT and it uses .75 quarts between oil changes and I'm using Castrol.

Most be a common issue with these new motors that GM is putting out.

Ring end gap and cylinder wall to piston tolerances must be getting pretty sloppy.

So far my truck only has 6000 miles on it with the 6.2 and doesn't use any oil with 1 oil change on the books, and I used Mobil1 SYNC.

I've had to put 2 qts in it since december. appx. 6k miles in that time span. Truck has 12k miles on it. 2010, 5.3

it "runs out" and I start getting valve tick.

very angry about this, but I don't know what I can do about it other than take it to the dealer and hear the "it aint doin it right now" story.

Thats what you need to do. Take it to the dealer and ask for a consumption test. If they refuse contact Chevy customer service.

When I drained the oil into the pan, I put it back into the one of the old oil bottles. It filled the bottle back to just over 4 quarts. It takes about 6 quarts to fill the truck to the line.

Just curious if anyone knows how accurate this is? I am sure there is a certain amount that does not drain out of the truck. Also did you drain the oil out of the filter into the bottle?

I don't know if I would trust this.. What about oil in the filter? Through out the engine? I'd go by before and after on the dip stick.

Thats what you need to do. Take it to the dealer and ask for a consumption test. If they refuse contact Chevy customer service.

I tried to go today. After waiting in line 20 minutes to get into the service bay I decided to turn around.

what is wrong with GM lately? too many chinese parts? I used to never have this problem.

tbh at this point I'm just trying to get my project car running good enough to drive it. I feel like my truck isn't reliable anymore. A new vehicle should not drink oil like an alcoholic on a free tab.

Edited by darkfox1

I would like to weigh in just a little bit. Just for data and documentation.

2008 Suburban LTZ with LC9 engine (5.3 AFM Aluminum block), 88,000 miles now

Mobil 1 synthetic oil since very first oil change. Change oil when DIC says to (6000-8000 miles).

Paid mechanic (NOT dealer) to do oil changes (only one guy has ever changed the oil until the last one). He NEVER told me that the oil level was low going into a change so I didn't think I had an oil consumption issue. Suddenly at about 72,000 miles the ZERO OIL PRESSURE warning came on and scared me to death. I've been driving for 32 years and I have NEVER EVER had that happen before.

Since 72,000, I've been adding a qt of synthetic about every 3-4,000 miles. That, too, has never happened with ANY vehicle I have ever owned. So this really bothered me and I started keeping up with it.

I also have the lifter click at start up for about 5-10 seconds. Idles fine, smooth.

I get 15 mpg city and 18 highway.

Tailpipe has a jet-black dusty ring around it. Sounds to me like if this is an AFM issue, the oil pushing into thsoe cylinders and slowly cooking off on its way out of the vehicle. I NEVER see smoke. Not at startup, idle or run. Someone told me that synthetic won't smoke. Not sure if that is true or not.

And since I'm just talking now, I wanted an HD pickup with the diesel to tow my boat. Wife said she didn't want to hear the diesel. Now I'm divorced and wish to heck I hadn't listened to her. I kept the boat. Gave her up.

Have read a few places on here, "I love my truck, but I wish it didn't burn oil DITTO! I don't care what ANYONE says, a 2008 model truck that cost $55,000 should NOT burn a qt of oil ever 3,000 miles. If GM says that's normal, then that's part of why GM has been in bad trouble. My 1999 K1500 Suburban ran to 180,000 miles and never used a drop of oil. The tranny gave out after pulling that 6,000 lb boat and trailer. But never used oil. My 1994 C1500 Suburban ran to 150,000 miles and never used a drop of oil. This one disappoints me but my loyalty is to GM so I guess I'm going to stay put.

Edited by RyanbabZ71
  • Like 1

Tailpipe has a jet-black dusty ring around it.

Dont believe this is AFM related as my 2000 always had a "dirty" tailpipe. Never used oil either but did have the startup tick.

Mine is an 07 with the 5.3 and AFM. I use Mobil 1 or Penzoil Synthetic oil with a Wix oil filter. I changed my oil this weekend with 5000 miles on it. When I drained the oil into the pan, I put it back into the one of the old oil bottles. It filled the bottle back to just over 4 quarts. It takes about 6 quarts to fill the truck to the line.

I used about 2 quarts in about 5000 miles.

No offense, but I don't think this is an accurate method to measure if your engine is using oil between changes. Been changing oil for friends and family for 30 years, and you NEVER get as much oil out of the drain pan/old filter as you put new oil back in to fill it. I often drain cars that hold 5.0 quarts into an empty gallon (4.0 quarts) container, and these vehicles are not using a quart of oil between changes, because it was still full on the dipstick before being drained. So, in my experience, I'd say that only new oil added to show 'full' on the dipstick should count as the amount of oil used between changes.

Edited by Maverick Z71

I have a 09 GMC 6.0l and change the oil when the monitor tells me to, usually about 5000-6000 miles. I always check the dipstick after oil is changed and before I bring it back in and the level usually about 1/4 to 1/2 quart low. Not bad for 5000+ miles.