Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a 09 GMC 6.0l and change the oil when the monitor tells me to, usually about 5000-6000 miles. I always check the dipstick after oil is changed and before I bring it back in and the level usually about 1/4 to 1/2 quart low. Not bad for 5000+ miles.

You never mentioned your mileage on the truck. Oil consumption usually starts at 30,000+ miles. Do the 6.0's have AFM?

07 5.3 CCSB- I'm not sure what kind of block? I bought it used nov. 2010 with 35000mi. at 39000 low oil light came on, 1.5 qt low. I just started oil consumption test

Ya know what's odd is even though my dipstick is nearly dry and I have valves ticking from lack of lubrication.. I've never once seen this "low oil light" that I've heard mentioned.

I know on my camaro there's a sensor in the oil pan, I'm assuming on the truck it'd be the same kind of thing? a sensor in the lower end of the pan? I wonder why I'm having valve noise yet still having enough for this sensor to read that it's not low on oil?

• Like 1

The truck I traded on my 2010 did use oil, to the point of a buy back in the difference of trade value to loan, It was a 2007 GMT-900 C/CSB LTZ 4 Speed Iron block 5.3. At 14500 miles oil light came on, they said 4qts low, at 17300 oil light on replaced lifters and some valley pan?, not a tech reading receipts, 19500 check engine light on, cat pluged on passenger side,didn't know there were two but thats what is says,22000 miles light on again,last straw,about a month later with me calling the dealer they offered the trade deal or they'd fix the motor, didn't trust the engine so I traded it. I loved that truck Ruby Red and fully loaded drove three hours through Ohio to get it, But it was my choice to trade it, and I want to say before some one jumps on it GM teated me VERY WELL.

I have a 09 GMC 6.0l and change the oil when the monitor tells me to, usually about 5000-6000 miles. I always check the dipstick after oil is changed and before I bring it back in and the level usually about 1/4 to 1/2 quart low. Not bad for 5000+ miles.

You never mentioned your mileage on the truck. Oil consumption usually starts at 30,000+ miles. Do the 6.0's have AFM?

just turned over to 18000. Yes mine does have afm but is turned off with tuner. I'm not sure but think using a little oil may be normal with GMs. I have had a 81 TA with the 4.9 turbo, 84 pickup with the straight 6, 84 and 91 camero with the 5.0l, 99 and 04 silverados with the 5.3l and my current 09 Sierra with the 6.0l and all have used a little oil between changes, never more than 1/2 quart but always some. Is this normal for everyone else?

• Like 1

When I drained the oil into the pan, I put it back into the one of the old oil bottles. It filled the bottle back to just over 4 quarts. It takes about 6 quarts to fill the truck to the line.

Just curious if anyone knows how accurate this is? I am sure there is a certain amount that does not drain out of the truck. Also did you drain the oil out of the filter into the bottle?

I let the truck drain overnight into the pan and put the filter on the pan to drain when I do my oil changes. It may not be 100% accurate but it still gives you an idea that the truck is using oil either way. I don't think the filter holds 1.5 quarts, maybe .5 quarts.

2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ (Aluminum block) 4x4

130000 miles. Started before 100k but didn't really think it was a problem, thought maybe it was my driving and the consumption was around a quart over 4-5k miles.

Consumes 1.25 qts approximately over 1000 miles.

Every 3 tanks of gas, I add a quart of oil. (Insane, I know)

I have had the following done to try and fix the problem.

TSB to add oil deflector shield, new plugs, wires, oil change, $699 (Consumption is the same, don't let them do it)

I took it to a professional automotive and had all the carbon cleaned out of the engine. Powerflush(Didn't help)

Purchased the Diablo Predator and disabled AFM. Checked oil today, 1.25 qts low at 1000 miles.

My truck smokes like a funny car, it is down right embarassing. I even took video on my blackberry to the dealership to show them the smoke. It runs great, no missing, no ticks, just drinks oil and smokes like crazy at startup.

At this point I have no other options then to keep driving it until the engine dies or get rid of it. I have thought about having the lifters replaced, but what is the cost of that and will it work?

What engine non-AFM would fit in this truck. yr/make/model, etc.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else having these same issues. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would appreciate it. I have never owned anything but a GM vehicle(4 tahoes - 3 silverados), but they really are trying to get rid of me at this point.

4.8. Dont think the 6.2 will because that is mated with the 6 speed (yours being an 07 I assume it is the 4 speed)

4.8. Dont think the 6.2 will because that is mated with the 6 speed (yours being an 07 I assume it is the 4 speed)

One of the techs commented somewhere that the Express vans were non AFM 5.3 with 4 speed tranny. Question is would the swap be more than just the motor "ie" computer, wiring harness. Would be a good alternative if it would work.

I'd buy a 5.3 from a recent wreck, or even a new crate motor... and disable AFM, since it concerns you.

• Like 1

7500mi on a 6.2 AFM in my YD. first 5600mi was from Feb '10 through November '10 and it didn't use a drop (2500mi was a florida trip). that was dino oil obviously, now there's mobil 1 in it. i am contemplating turining off the AFM.

from what my tuner says the only reason the afm lifters fail is due to the functioning of the AFM (collpasing/pounding) with it turned off he says it should be no different than a conventional engine. although if i leave it this way i am covered for another 4 years? at which time i could switch the lifters/pushrods etc. to conventional??? decisions decisions?

07 GMC SLT 4 X 4 with 5.3 Aluminum with AFM and 86,000 miles. Since new, Valvoline full Synthetic with AC Delco filter. Change oil according to DIC at 5000 - 6000. Use about a quart between changes. Lifter knock only when it is cold enough in Florida.

I had my '07 Sierra in last fall to the dealership where I purchased it from because I found the low engine light was coming on after 2500 miles or so. They told me that GM had told them not to rebuild anymore because they had a better fix coming out...

I figured I'd give them some time and didn't call back until last week. They scheduled an appt. to drop the pan and install a deflector. I guess we will see how this works.

I didn't notice the oil usage at first because I had the dealership changing the oil but when i switched to doing it myself i found it to be low. In fact the first couple times I just thought that I didn't fill it up all the way... It doesn't leak at all and I have been using synthetic since about 10,000 miles. It has about 60,000 on it now. it seems to use more when I drive more highway miles.

I friend of mine actually had his GXP GP rebuilt because of the same problem.

Odometer: 121,000KM (74,000MI)

Engine: 6.2L

Truck: 2007 Yukon Denali

Oil: Mobil 1 5W-30

Dealer mentioned my truck was low on oil when I picked it after spark plugs/wires failed. They put in 1.6 quarts in, and handed me the keys. Warranty expires in three months.

Edited by 07YukonDenali