Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Barely 1000 miles on my truck and on cold starts it belches blue smoke for a second. Dipstick shows a quart low though I do not know if it was full to begin with. Going to see if it persists over the weekend and then I'm probably going to have to bring it to the dealer. Not happy at all about a brand new truck possibly needing major engine work.

Well can't say some of you folks who recently purchased your truck were not warned from the posts that have been going on 2 years now on here!

Barely 1000 miles on my truck and on cold starts it belches blue smoke for a second. Dipstick shows a quart low though I do not know if it was full to begin with. Going to see if it persists over the weekend and then I'm probably going to have to bring it to the dealer. Not happy at all about a brand new truck possibly needing major engine work.

Yeah because an internet forum like this is an accurate representation of the hundreds of thousands of trucks GM sells. Truck has an appointment at the dealer first thing Monday.

Edited by MikeNH

:thumbs:

Well can't say some of you folks who recently purchased your truck were not warned from the posts that have been going on 2 years now on here!

05gmcz71, that's a low blow for sure and realitivly ignorant statement! Obviously something has happened during engine build or break in to either the rings, lifters or valve guides causing him to leak oil through to cylinders... But it's under warranty and GM will fix it for him! Like MikeNH stated this is a problem that does have 35% or so of people on this Internet site having problems but geuss what? Almost 65% of people on this site DO NOT have this problem...roughly 2/3 are fine! Smiple math dictates that most people are NOT having this problem, even though some of you are! This site is great and all but it by no means represents the total amount of trucks on the road... Most people having trouble will search for validation on why they are having issues, But some one enjoying a smooth running truck and living there life aren't searching the Internet to cry about truck issues on a fourm board... Understand?

Oh and MikeNH, don't worry GM will make things right for you because that's a factory made problem, and sad to say Sh*t happens! I have had my gmt-900 almost 5 years now and absolutely love this truck... Tows hard miles & traverses the snow covered roads excellent! Oh yea I burn no oil! :-)

Edited by Volcom26

05gmcz71, that's a low blow for sure and realitivly ignorant statement! Obviously something has happened during engine build or break in to either the rings, lifters or valve guides causing him to leak oil through to cylinders... But it's under warranty and GM will fix it for him! Like MikeNH stated this is a problem that does have 35% or so of people on this Internet site having problems but geuss what? Almost 65% of people on this site DO NOT have this problem...roughly 2/3 are fine!

The statistics are much less useful than that. As of now, ~33 people have replied in the thread, a few of which state specific oil consumption information. The poll shows 283 "votes", of which 22% are for 4.8 + 6.0 + 6.2 motors. It would be impossible to draw *any* conclusions from the data posted thus far.

And the oil use or lack-there of continues....

Does it burn oil or not.

To make a good impression you would have to have a mandated poll of EVERY GM owner. There are to many lazy people in the world to think somebody with a truck that doesn't burn oil will waste there time voting. OR, the dealership said it was normal, so whats the point.

You would need to know the Year, RPO, Disabled or not, service records, driving habits, and a BUNCH of other goodies to make a judgement.

And you should always judge the oil level from the STICK...... Its hard to determine how much oil you actually get out. Way TO MANY variables can exist here if measuring in containers used for packaging oil.

Your filter holds oil inside it takes days to completely drain (and usually you have to keep rotating it) or you would need to cut it open.....

Not to mention if you DON'T change your own oil (like most American), you have no clue if you use oil or not until the ID 10 T lamp comes on and says MORON add oil before you burn me up...

If you take your vehicle somewhere to have the oil changed that is fine and dandy. At least you remember to do that. To the people that actually regularly check levels, I commend you.

My 99 doesn't burn oil..... I would like a new truck but.... the cards have been dealt. Would I buy a new GM or will I swap back to Ford. IDK. I like my GM product but I must say somethings make me wonder why.......... I do like the oil filter pointing straight down.....

Call any GM dealers service department ask them about oil consumption. And its like trying to whip an octopus..... No matter where you swing at there is a hand grabbing the whip. I have stated my opinion about oil consumptions before and heard the same line......

Seems to me as if something causes oil consumption in newer GM trucks.... and select new GM cars.

Jbo

As usual a RANT........ :thumbs:

I have an 07 Silverado with the 5.3 with AFM. Since the last oil change, I've had to add 4 qts of oil. 2 qts at oil life monitor 59%, and 2 more qts at 20%. And it was still a 1/2 qt low the 2nd time. Following the oil life monitor, I get approx 8500 to 9000 miles on an oil change.

Also, the truck sat for almost 3 weeks due to me being sick. When I went to start it just to make sure that it would start ok - original 4 year old AC Delco battery - I had burnt oil smoke come out the exhaust.

Now for comparison sake, my 03 Silverado with a 5.3 non AFM engine would use no more than 1/4 qt of oil in the same time frame, and would not smoke after extended periods of not being driven.

I have made 2 visits to the dealer, and we will be starting an oil consumption test, once I change the oil this week.

I have an 07 Silverado with the 5.3 with AFM. Since the last oil change, I've had to add 4 qts of oil. 2 qts at oil life monitor 59%, and 2 more qts at 20%. And it was still a 1/2 qt low the 2nd time. Following the oil life monitor, I get approx 8500 to 9000 miles on an oil change.

Whats the mileage ??

Whats the mileage ??

Mileage as of yesterday evening when I just changed the oil is 41909.

Edited by frdfandc

Whats the mileage ??

Mileage as of yesterday evening when I just changed the oil is 41909.

Should have waited on the oil change before the consumption test. They start the test with an oil change for documentation. Dealer let me bring my own oil since I had already bought it. Haven't been here for a while. Been workin all I can to make ends meet in this great economy were experiencing. Glad to see more coming forward with the issue. I'm still using oil, but it seems to have slowed a little since warm weather.

05gmcz71, that's a low blow for sure and realitivly ignorant statement! Obviously something has happened during engine build or break in to either the rings, lifters or valve guides causing him to leak oil through to cylinders... But it's under warranty and GM will fix it for him! Like MikeNH stated this is a problem that does have 35% or so of people on this Internet site having problems but geuss what? Almost 65% of people on this site DO NOT have this problem...roughly 2/3 are fine!

The statistics are much less useful than that. As of now, ~33 people have replied in the thread, a few of which state specific oil consumption information. The poll shows 283 "votes", of which 22% are for 4.8 + 6.0 + 6.2 motors. It would be impossible to draw *any* conclusions from the data posted thus far.

Was hoping this poll would produce some info. If it doesn't, at least there was an effort. But its not over. 283 votes are not many. Two of my neighbors have 5.3's with AFM. One is using and the other is not. Neither uses a computer. I told the one using, about the consumption test, and he has started his with the dealer. He or I would have never known, without this forum.

Useless all right...

I posted on here once...told the OP to eliminate the 4.8 ,6.0, and 6.2 off the list

This thread was intended for 5.3 AFM engines

...my post to help this thread was deleted...

Useless would be very unfortunate for we, the minority, who are using oil. Saw a member had joined with the name GM Customer Service. Is that for real? Would hope that Chevy isn't influencing anything here. I am not against GM. Just wish they would step up to the plate. Recent GM products i've owned were an HHR and currently have a Trailblazer with 122k on the clock. Neither have used any oil and gave great service. A regional tech was supposed to contact me, after my first three phone conversations with customer service. I haver never heard from him yet.

I have not lost my service request number if that means anything.

Edited by hillbilly4u

Should have waited on the oil change before the consumption test. They start the test with an oil change for documentation. Dealer let me bring my own oil since I had already bought it. Haven't been here for a while. Been workin all I can to make ends meet in this great economy were experiencing. Glad to see more coming forward with the issue. I'm still using oil, but it seems to have slowed a little since warm weather.

I didn't actually start the test until I changed the oil this past Thursday. I'm keeping track of date oil changed, mileage when oil was changed, along with mileage and oil life monitor and date when oil is checked. Checking every 7 days, until oil level reaches the add mark on the dipstick, then heading directly to the dealer without adding any oil.

I've done numerous oil consumption tests in the past 13 years (ending in 2009) as an ex-ASE auto mechanic. This is not new territory for me.

I did speak with my salesman the other day as well, and he was telling me that he has seen around 6-7 owners with the same issue. But this is out of hundreds of trucks that have been sold out of this dealership. He thinks its due to the long time frame that the oil life monitor uses between oil changes. Once some of the customers reduced their oil change intervals to 4-5,000 miles, oil consumption was little, if any.

So I will proceed with the test, if they tell me (once again) that the amount is normal, I'll reduce my intervals to 5-6,000 miles instead of 8500-9000 miles as I'm doing now.

And he also suggested using the new oil DexOS 1 oil that GM vehicles are using for 2011 and newer. Supposed to help with oil consumption issues.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2010/09...cification.html

Edited by frdfandc