Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Useless all right...

Then ignore the topic and don't post here. It is what it is. It will never be 100% perfect, deal with it.

From the 1st post

Please only post oil consumption concerns here and please stay on topic. Please no long debates about AFM people either love it or hate it we all understand this.

Now lets get back on topic.

Edited by RyanbabZ71

Useless all right...

Then ignore the topic and don't post here. It is what it is. It will never be 100% perfect, deal with it.

From the 1st post

Please only post oil consumption concerns here and please stay on topic. Please no long debates about AFM people either love it or hate it we all understand this.

Now lets get back on topic.

Well Put good sir... :cool: As with anything there are no 100% answers really avaliable, BUT this topic is useful for a relatively competent mechanically inclined person.(Which I believe there are a few of you on here..) It has the potential to inlighten some to their avaliable options & also help others undertand what's going on with this GTM-900 issue.... Oh and for all you people who post cow patty's like " Its a conspericy... " or "this is a useless" or what ever else BS posted, Shame on you! :flag:

The pot is calling the kettle black huh? :thumbs:

I have an '07 GMC 5.3 Iron Block w/ AFM

AFM is disabled

67k on the odometer

Had it in at 30-something thousand for the stupid cold soak lifter tick issue. It was using oil then. They replaced lifters and I have maybe heard the tick a hand full of times, but I hear a constant light lifter tick now... It still uses oil too. I run Amsoil 0-30 full synthetic. Change oil on extended intervals as per the oil manufacturer's recommendations. I can't recall the exact amount, but it seems to use about a quart every 1,500 miles or so. I hate that the truck uses oil, but all things considered, I still love the truck.

• 3 weeks later...

My '09 5.3 iron block engine was just completely disassembled by the dealer due to a rod knock. Turns out my crankshaft had a flaw in machining. It had not been using oil, at least not enough to add between changes. The mechanic did ask about oil usage though as 2 pistons had their oil rings stuck by carbon and there was carbon buildup on all 8 at 48,000 miles. I've used Castrol since day one and change at about 15-20% oil life. They suggest I change to a synthetic blend for the future. Maybe stuck oil rings are some of the problems seen by others.

Edited by dansk

I started an oil consumption test as previously mentioned. Tomorrow I have to stop at the dealership since the oil level is at the add mark.

Here is my recordings.

04/21/2011

Changed oil and filter at 41909 miles. Used 6.7 qts of Mobil One Synthetic 5w30 with a Mobile One filter for the 5.3 V8

Reset Oil life monitor.

04/29/2011

Checked oil level. Still on full mark. 95% on oil life monitor. Mileage is 43277.

05/09/2011

Oil level still on full mark. 89% on oil life monitor. Mileage 43768.

05/21/2011

Oil level just above add mark on dipstick. 80% on oil life monitor. Mileage 44576. (Note: most of mileage from previous reading and now has been highway/high speed mileage. Extended use of AFM has been apparent.)

Edited by frdfandc

I started an oil consumption test as previously mentioned. Tomorrow I have to stop at the dealership since the oil level is at the add mark.

Here is my recordings.

04/21/2011

Changed oil and filter at 41909 miles. Used 6.7 qts of Mobil One Synthetic 5w30 with a Mobile One filter for the 5.3 V8

Reset Oil life monitor.

04/29/2011

Checked oil level. Still on full mark. 95% on oil life monitor. Mileage is 43277.

05/09/2011

Oil level still on full mark. 89% on oil life monitor. Mileage 43768.

05/21/2011

Oil level just above add mark on dipstick. 80% on oil life monitor. Mileage 44576. (Note: most of mileage from previous reading and now has been highway/high speed mileage. Extended use of AFM has been apparent.)

There is a TSB about the oil deflector on AFM engine, make sure to note to the dealer that you have noticed the last section of test was performed on highway/afm driving.... Your data seems to suggest the deflector issue, This will help the tech's trace down your oil problem faster! please let us know what the dealer says and the work performed! Keep us posted and keep your spirit up :)

Edited by Volcom26

05/25/2011

Oil level at add mark.

78% on oil monitor

44771 miles

I stopped at the dealership yesterday on my way to work. Had them check the oil level and record the mileage and oil life monitor. I also explained to them about the extended use of the AFM system due to a higher volume of highway driving the past 3 weeks and also, right after a long down hill descent, where the AFM would be active, I got back into the gas to pass a vehicle. Saw a puff of smoke out the tail pipes.

I've been thinking about getting a tune and having the AFM disabled.

Mine is a 2011 with 5.3 Aluminum. Most of my driving is in town and I do not drive it nicely.

I broke it in like I stole it, but I like synthetic oil not the Dexos stuff. I changed the engine oil for the first time at about 1100 miles and it was almost 3/4 quart low. The last oil change was about 4600 miles

(the oil life meter read 15%) and the dipstick was at the add line.

No leaks, no blue smoke on start or driving. I have no lifter tick, just an occasional tap at start, just like my 2007 did. If it starts using a lot more I will update my findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil consumption test still being done.

At the last interval and visit to the dealer ship, I added one qt of oil to bring the level back to the full mark.

Today 06/10/2011

Oil level at 1st mark below full mark.

68% oil monitor

45601 miles

I have a 2009 chevy 1500 with the 5.3 aluminum block with 26000 miles on it. Last weekend noticed a blue cloud of smoke at start up and I was down almost 3 quarts of oil. Brought it to the dealer on monday said they found a ring issue and replaced all the pistons and rings. Thinking about trading it in for the 6.2 unless that engine has the same problems.

Well, my 07 5.3L with 30,000 miles never had an oil consumption problem until the stealership FINALLY replaced my noisy lifters. I have used Mobil 1 5-30 from the gate. I checked my oil today at about 1000 miles since they performed the repairs. It was low. I then started heading to my local Autozone and the oil low message appeared. Lovely! I am going to top it off and start paying close attn.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil Consumption test ongoing.

Switched dealerships because the first one I tried was a bunch of smart-ass hacks who were awesome at making me feel stupid, but terrible at doing anything helpful. The dealership I'm working with now is being more than helpful, they've admitted they know about the consumption issues and are going through the steps they need to go through to verify it.

Warranty is up in January so I'm really hoping this is a success and I can get my motor fixed.

1000 kms since oil change and I'm low 1 quart. (Almost 500 of those kms were in 4 cyl mode)

I just had my '07 sierra re-ringed last week at the dealership where I bought it. I have 64k on it now and started to see the problem around 30k (or earlier) when my check oil light came on during a long road trtip.

What I found with mine is that it would burn a lot more oil during long interstate trips. In 400 miles I could easily use 1/2qt!

Once we did an official consumption test the dealership added a deflector shield in the oil pan. They told me that this has fixed 80% of the vehicles they see. When they inspected the vehicle at this time they found one cylinder was completely fouled and not firing. In fact, they broke the spark plug off when trying to remove it. They let it sit over night with a solvent in the engine to remove build up.

After this I was not going to back down from having it re-ringed. As anticipated the deflector didn't help at all. It took awhile for me to positively determine this as I needed to take a long trip.

I am happy that they stepped up and did the right thing now all I need to do is what to see if it gets better...

Ryan

07 CCSB 5.3, bought it used with 28k has 40K on it now. It uses 3-3.5 quarts every 2800 miles. They have been trying to fix it since 30800 miles when the low oil light first came on. They just informed me that they are tearing the motor down to re-ring the pistons, but that they will NOT replace the bearings while its apart. So when it spins a bearing from the trash they will get to tear it down again instead of doing it right the first time. So much for certified pre-owned. :rollin: Guess next year I will be trading up to a 2500 after tax time.