How Much Truck Do I Need To Tow 12,000+ Lbs.?

luv2ride

I currently pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer totally loaded around 10,000 lbs. Truck seems to be fine though we have to take it easy in the mountains. It is gas and I don't think it is a HD. I'm getting another trailer and fully loaded the trailer will be 12,000 - 15,000 lbs depending on how much hay and water we haul etc. Short trips around 12,000lbs. Our trailer dealer says we have enough truck but I don't think we do. We have a brake controller for the trailer. If it matters the trailer is aluminum and is 31' end to end. What would you recommend to pull this? Our housing HOA limits trucks parked here to 3/4 ton?

Currently driving a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 short bed crew cab with towing package.

This is out of the owners manual. I assume its 4 wheel drive? I would say you are pushing the line. What kinda of terrain? All flat roads? Mountains? Also what engine, trans, and gear ratio?

Vehicle* Axle Ratio Maximum Trailer Weight GCWR

K-2500 Crew Cab Short Box HD (4WD)*

6000 V8 4.10 9,900 lbs. (4 490 kg) 16,000 lbs. (7 257 kg)

8100 V8 3.73 12,000 lbs. 20,000 lbs. (9 072 kg)

4.10 12,000 lbs. (5 443 kg) 22,000 lbs. (9 979 kg)

6.6L V8 Diesel 3.73 12,000 lbs. (5 443 kg) 22,000 lbs. (9 979 kg)

*Fifth-wheel or gooseneck kingpin weight should be 15 percent to 25 percent of trailer weight up to 2,500 lbs. (1 133 kg) maximum.

You're well into 2500HD territory and pushing 3500HD at the upper range you list (12000 to 15000 lbs), especially in the mountains. How do you feel about your current setup, and are you looking to buy a different truck? Pretty sure the '11 HD trucks bumped the ratings even more, but I haven't studied them.

You're well into 2500HD territory and pushing 3500HD at the upper range you list (12000 to 15000 lbs), especially in the mountains. How do you feel about your current setup, and are you looking to buy a different truck? Pretty sure the '11 HD trucks bumped the ratings even more, but I haven't studied them.

I don't feel real good about the current set up for the new trailer. Works great with the old one especially on flat roads which is the majority of our driving. What's the difference between the 2500 and the 2500HD as far as towing capabilities? Would a 3500 HD fall within the 3/4 ton weight limit? Thanks, I'm pretty clueless about all this and want to be sure that I am safe pulling this trailer. May have to buy used - not sure I can spring for a new one at this point in time. Thank you!

Not sure on the difference of towing capabillities with the 2500 and 2500 HD. If you send me your vin # and I can run it on GM vis and show you the details. About the only difference going to a 3500 will gain you a few thousand pounds extra towing capacity. It is basically the same truck with heavier rear springs, and higher gvw, unless you go to a dually.

The 3500 would be "1-ton", but I don't know why a HOA would care. They must mean "no dually trucks". As Matt said, it's just heavier springs on the single rear wheel 3500HD. A 2500HD isn't going to add any power over the 2500, with the same engine. It has a heavier full-float rear axle, and higher payload capacity. Unless you move to a 8.1 (2006 and earlier) or a diesel, it's going to pull about the same (assuming same rear gears and transmission). A 2007 or newer got a 6-spd, which will help some when towing heavy, but not like a big block or Duramax. I would pull the new trailer as-is and go from there, looking at spring sag, engine rpms, etc, and go from there.

Not sure on the difference of towing capabillities with the 2500 and 2500 HD. If you send me your vin # and I can run it on GM vis and show you the details. About the only difference going to a 3500 will gain you a few thousand pounds extra towing capacity. It is basically the same truck with heavier rear springs, and higher gvw, unless you go to a dually.

The VIN# is 1GCGK23U64F146912

Do you think a Duramax Diesel 3500 would be enough truck? Thanks for your help!

The 3500 would be "1-ton", but I don't know why a HOA would care. They must mean "no dually trucks". As Matt said, it's just heavier springs on the single rear wheel 3500HD. A 2500HD isn't going to add any power over the 2500, with the same engine. It has a heavier full-float rear axle, and higher payload capacity. Unless you move to a 8.1 (2006 and earlier) or a diesel, it's going to pull about the same (assuming same rear gears and transmission). A 2007 or newer got a 6-spd, which will help some when towing heavy, but not like a big block or Duramax. I would pull the new trailer as-is and go from there, looking at spring sag, engine rpms, etc, and go from there.

We pick up the trailer in 2 months. We live in MD and will travel to TX. I don't have a problem bringing it home as it will weigh less than 10000 lbs. without horses, gear, water etc. Is there a used Duramax Diesel you would recommend?

We pick up the trailer in 2 months. We live in MD and will travel to TX. I don't have a problem bringing it home as it will weigh less than 10000 lbs. without horses, gear, water etc. Is there a used Duramax Diesel you would recommend?

I would suggest you spend time on some diesel user sites. I don't own one, and can only relay what I've read/know/observed, which is opinion rather than experience. The rv.net site has a lot of opinionated folks, but they tend to have a pretty good feel for good/bad years on diesels and large blocks, and many have actual experience. Just be prepared for all the "expert" opinion ;)

Your pin weight is going to be easly over 2000#, more likely in the 3000# range. This is going to put you way over your rear axle and tire ratings. Take a look at your door sticker and tire side walls to see what maximum load is. IMO, you are at the upper range of a 3500 single wheel and a dualy would be a good idea. But I understand your HOA rules. If it was me I would go for a 3500 single rear wheel and re-badge it as a 2500. Same in appearance, HOA will never no the difference. Not only will you be safer towing you will be happy having that 8' bed with a gooseneck.

At least a 2500, or 2500HD..... you may want a duramax, and possibly airbag the rear suspension.

Whatever truck we do end up with,we will airbag the rear suspension.

Anybody have Duramax gas or diesel? What's your experience? Might bite the bullet and try for a 2011 even though it would be a stretch.

I'm going to go look at a 2011 2500HD Crew Cab (or extended cab) 4 WD Chevy Duramax Diesel. It will tow almost 17,000 lbs. They are offering 0% financing which is how I bought the last truck. This way we can park it at our house and feel safe towing. We will add the airbags for the rear suspension.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are most appreciated. Never get your towing advice from a trailer and/or truck sales man! If so, check it out!

I'm going to go look at a 2011 2500HD Crew Cab (or extended cab) 4 WD Chevy Duramax Diesel. It will tow almost 17,000 lbs. They are offering 0% financing which is how I bought the last truck. This way we can park it at our house and feel safe towing. We will add the airbags for the rear suspension.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are most appreciated. Never get your towing advice from a trailer and/or truck sales man! If so, check it out!

Once you tow with a Duramax you will wonder how you ever did it before. Make sure you get the towing package that includes the brake controller. The factory brake controller is better than most anything you would add aftermarket.

Archived