6.2 Gas Milage.....

Just got back from a trip down to Kentucky, here is my mileage;

1st tank - Started trip with 2/3 of a tank, filled up in Ohio, 55-65 MPH, A/C on/off, Shell Canada 91 - 18.5 MPG

2nd tank - 60-75 MPH, A/C on, Sunoco 93 - 19.3 MPG

3rd tank - 60-75 MPH, cooler temps, no A/C, Thornton's 92 - 18.8 MPG

Truck is completely stock except for an Airaid MIT.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I drive about 5 mile to work and if that is all I do the MPG is about 15.5. If I mix a little highway driving it gets to about 18.5. The DIC seems to read .2 higher than real. Cold starts seem to really drop the MPG. Leaving the heated garage in the morning drops the DIC .1 MPG but after a cold soak in the parking lot after work it drops .2 or .3.

Has anyone weighted their truck? My SLE 4X2 NHT crew weighs in at 5080 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

i'm guessing there are no clever ideas on the cold start... mine can easily be through 3/4 tank and suddenly drop .2 just from startup.... (dic reset at the beginning of the tank...)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get what I'd consider good gas mileage but I didn't buy this truck expecting to get good gas mileage. I ordered my truck without a lot of options and gizmos so I don't have DIC. All my mileage is hand calculated. Below is the mileage from three different trips.

Mileage from northwest Louisiana to Lincoln, Nebraska and back. Pulled a 6X12
tandem axle U-Haul trailer to Nebraska. No trailer and empty coming back.

Didn't check first tank... Second tank (with trailer) 11.6
mpg; third tank (with trailer) 12.9 mpg (had a 30mph - 35mph tailwind
going through Oklahoma and Kansas.); fourth tank (some with trailer, some in town, and some without trailer) 11.7 mpg; fifth tank (all without trailer) 16.2 mpg; sixth tank
(all without trailer, mostly 45mph to 60 mph, and down hill!) 17.7 mpg.

Mileage from northern Louisiana to southern Nebraska and back - no trailer either way. Had the back seat loaded down pretty good on the way up. The mileage on the three tanks that I checked were: 17.66,17.38, and 17.70.

Mileage from north Louisiana to south Louisiana and back (mostly 75+ on the interstate). 16.52; 16.39; 16.57.

I have yet to see 18 mpg. I always buy premium (usually 93 but in some parts of the country premium is 91).

I try to find ethanol free but that isn't always possible.

Truck is completely stock 2012 crew cab with MAX Trailering Pack.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well I have been running 87 esso the past 5 months (dec-april) and have been getting 14.4-14.8l/100km. Now the weather is getting warmer here I'm currently at 14.4l/100km. it dropped .4l/100km since my last fill up!, I'm continuing to use 87 till about july hopeing to get closer to 14l/100km, then will switch to 91 to see the difference.

In the winter with 87 i avg 14.7 +/-

In the summer with 87 I'm unsure as of now, will update in a few months

Update:

summer w/87 i avg 13.8-14.4 city/highway/rural going on ave 10km/hr ovr limit. when I tow it obivoulsy goes up.. havent tired 91 for a a long stretch yet.. to cheap lol.

• 1 year later...

As a comparison, my 2015 2500HD 6.0L Z71 Double cab with snow plow prep package gets about 17-18 mpg on road trips. Average for daily driving hovers around 14.5 mpg. Not too bad considering it weighs in at 1000 lb more than a 1500. And with all the fuel choices, it is not a wallet buster. I get all those mpg numbers on E10 and E15 regular fuel. E15 is averaging about $2.16 in my area now. I also use E85, and am using it now. I lose about 2 mpg doing that, but the price is lower and the cost per mile is darn close to the same as using the regular. It is $1.84 right now in my area. Sure takes the sting out of filling up, at least psychologically. I know that the cost per mile is roughly the same, so my overall fuel costs are no different, but seeing the lower total cost when the nozzle kicks off is easier on my mind.

Archived