How-To: GMT900 Tow Mirror Install.

MikeNH

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think so but the safest thing to do would be to call a dealer with your VIN to make sure they're the correct ones. The only reason I'm uncertain is because I know some mirrors had/have two plugs instead of just one.

i would like to get those on my 03 suburban...

does anyone if they would fit on the 03 model ?

The how to was for 07-11 MY trucks. The mirrors on 07-11 MY trucks will not fit on an 03.

• 2 months later...

Excellent write-up with pictures and all! :D Now my question is....Where were you last December when I installed mine. :(:P

On Subaru forums doing write-ups for my Legacy GT that I owned at the time. :(

One of my unofficial jobs at work is to write internal procedures for some of our software programs we use so this sort of stuff is just an extension of that. I say unofficial because my main job is being a field service tech but when I'm in office I do pretty much whatever needs doing and unfortunately I managed to impress management with my first guide. Sometimes being good at something bites you in the ass I suppose. :D

On Subaru forums doing write-ups for my Legacy GT that I owned at the time. :P

One of my unofficial jobs at work is to write internal procedures for some of our software programs we use so this sort of stuff is just an extension of that. I say unofficial because my main job is being a field service tech but when I'm in office I do pretty much whatever needs doing and unfortunately I managed to impress management with my first guide. Sometimes being good at something bites you in the ass I suppose. :D

On a Subaru forum!??! Geeshhhh . :chill: Shame! :( (just buggin' ya)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay mirror guru's, I have a question!

What style door clips are used in the GMT-900 trucks? Just thought I would try to have a few on hand "JIC" if I can get them cheaper from AZ or AA instead of the dealer.

Ordered a set of mirrors today. Can't wait!

TY for the great write up Mike!

Chris

I'm not totally sure to be honest but I didn't break any when I installed mine. You should be ok. MS3Dale would be able to help you I'm sure though.

Well... I think I may have screwed up my mirror install tonight since I didn't have any extra parts left! :thumbs:

Went well, did drop one mirror nut into the door on the first one. What a pain to fish it out! Maybe overkill, but when putting some blue loctite on the mirror studs, I stuffed a piece of paper towel into the opening below the 3 mirror studs, and thought, not a bad way to help prevent the droppomg a mirror nut again!

I do have one question for those with the OEM mirrors: Do your mirrors have 2 "stops" when folded out as mentioned? Mine seem to only have 1, slightly folded back, but not one when almost straight out??? And yes, they are very tough to unfold! I almost thought I was going to break them as well!

Darrick, as you mentioned, the "trees" seemed to be just fine! Glad I didn't buy any!

First "real" tow test is next week (utility trailer doesn't count!). We have a w/e "Halloween" camping trip planned for the kids!

Mike, TY again for the great write up!

Chris

What do you mean yours don't have the second stop? Do they fold straight out and keep going forward or something?

And yes the mirror nuts are tricky. :thumbs: I worked in a dealer shop for a few years and I learned to be pretty good at tiny detail stuff like that despite having fat fingers. :drool: I didn't locktite them but did check after a month or two and they hadn't budged. I'd guess the foam on the mirror almost acts as a lock washer and keeps tension on the studs.

Archived