2011 Dmax Mpg

Looking at going to a DMax from my last 2 6.0's. My first 6.0 was with a 3.73 and my current crew cab 4x4 has 4.10's. Right now on average I get around 13MPG. Mostly empty and mostly highway. Can you diesel guys give me info on what your getting empty. I dont really tow enough to be concerned about it and I plow in the winter, which I know I will have no problem with. This will be another crew cab 4x4 2500 not a one ton or a dually. Thanks!

Well put it this way if your wanting a Diesel just for fuel mileage dont do it, the extra 7-8000 dollars for the Diesel and Diesel fuel is about .60-.80 cents more then gas it will take you a long long time to see any benefits. 7-8000 dollars and an extra 80 cents more per gallon can buy alot of gas for the differance in MPG between gas a diesel.

• 4 weeks later...
Well put it this way if your wanting a Diesel just for fuel mileage dont do it, the extra 7-8000 dollars for the Diesel and Diesel fuel is about .60-.80 cents more then gas it will take you a long long time to see any benefits. 7-8000 dollars and an extra 80 cents more per gallon can buy alot of gas for the differance in MPG between gas a diesel.

Agreed. Also, remember upkeep and maintenance is much higher on a diesel.

MPG improves with miles on a diesel motor as it breaks in(i'm talking 100s of thousands) diesel fuel lasts longer then gasoline thus the difference in price is a drop in the bucket, you can idle on a gallon of diesel for days i know because i drive one for work...with the duramax you get the bulletproof allison also...maintance is higher but if you learn to do it yourself it is manageable...i know a guy with over 300k on his i think LBZ and the damn thing gets right around 30 mpg on the highway unloaded with zero issues..if i had deep pockets i would have gotten a diesel, if you think a duramax is solely for towing then you need to step back and realise diesel is the future not oversized rc cars

• 1 month later...

My dad's 06 D-Max Dually gets 20 on the highway empty at 78 and with his 36 ft fifth gets in the low teens. He has a 4in Turbo back, intake (dont remember which) and Edge attitude. Its in the 160K mileage and still runs like a top. And that is with a Big 'ol ranch hand on the front. The only argument that you can add for gas vs diesel is the initial cost. period. Most people that talk about maintenance cost change there synthetic oil at 3k when it could still go another 5 on top of that. There are VERY few that would say they would rather have a gas after they have had a Diesel, especially if they have had anything significant behind it.

Archived