5.3l Gas Saving Mods?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tire pressure, and drive slower. You'd be surprised what 5mph slower can do for mileage :thumbs: There's not to many mods you can do to increase mileage enough to justify the cost of the "mod".

higher gear set

Custom tune for mileage

smaller tires if you have oversized tires

proper tire pressure

If everything is working as it should (ie: proper combustion, brakes not dragging, reasonable clean air filter), there are very few things that you will be able to do to significantly increase gas mileage. Fuel use is a function of weight, rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag and acceleration.

Weight and drag (the shape of the vehicle) have limited opportunities for reduction. Drag is also a function of speed, so the slower you go, the less drag there is. Rolling resistance can be addressed with tires, either airing them up, or different ones. Acceleration will be the biggest winner for fuel economy.

My truck is stock, so I cannot speak for mods, but I have read a number of posts about fuel mileage getting worse after mods, but that may be due to the desire to hear the new exhaust more, after it is installed! I'm sure that tuning certain parameters would give you a slight increase.

As far as the math goes, if you drive 15,000 miles a year, and go from 15 to 16 mpg, at $4.00 per gallon, you would save $250 per year.

Change is speed for example stomping it to get up to freeway speeds is a killer. I can get 100km more out of a tank if im careful enough. Other than that the only mod I can think of is swapping the whole vehicle out for a honda civic.

Other than that the only mod I can think of is swapping the whole vehicle out for a honda civic.

LOL that is exactly what I did- not swap out, but add a Civic coupe to the garage. I figured that by driving a 30 mpg car 80% of the time and my 15 mpg truck 20%, my monthly savings in fuel would be exactly 1/2 of the monthy payment on the car, including gas, but plus insurance (costing 12 gallons/month equivalent.)

The downside is now my truck is smelling moldy from sitting most days....

I added some of the chevron techron stuff that was only suppose to be used for 15 gallons, but i added it to 23 gallons of gas and i swear that im getting a little better mileage

What mpg are you getting on your 99?

If everything is working as it should (ie: proper combustion, brakes not dragging, reasonable clean air filter), there are very few things that you will be able to do to significantly increase gas mileage. Fuel use is a function of weight, rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag and acceleration.

Weight and drag (the shape of the vehicle) have limited opportunities for reduction. Drag is also a function of speed, so the slower you go, the less drag there is. Rolling resistance can be addressed with tires, either airing them up, or different ones. Acceleration will be the biggest winner for fuel economy.

My truck is stock, so I cannot speak for mods, but I have read a number of posts about fuel mileage getting worse after mods, but that may be due to the desire to hear the new exhaust more, after it is installed! I'm sure that tuning certain parameters would give you a slight increase.

As far as the math goes, if you drive 15,000 miles a year, and go from 15 to 16 mpg, at $4.00 per gallon, you would save $250 per year.

Exactly.

The absolute best "mod" you can do to get better mileage, is to slow down and drive like you have a raw egg taped to the gas pedal.

Although, a tune has generally netted me 1-3 mpg overall on everything I've ever had tuned.

• 1 month later...

why do people purchase an 8,000 pound truck with a V8 or a high horse power Sports car or Sport sedan (corvette, charger, challenger, camaro, etc) then ask:

How can I get better MPG?

didn't any of you READ the damn Window Sticker when you bought the vehicle? if you want high MPG go buy a g-damn prius, otherwise STFU..

If you can't afford to put gas in your $40,000 - 8,000 pound V8 Truck with 31 gallon gas tank, maybe you shouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

why do people purchase an 8,000 pound truck with a V8 or a high horse power Sports car or Sport sedan (corvette, charger, challenger, camaro, etc) then ask:

didn't any of you READ the damn Window Sticker when you bought the vehicle? if you want high MPG go buy a g-damn prius, otherwise STFU..

If you can't afford to put gas in your $40,000 - 8,000 pound V8 Truck with 31 gallon gas tank, maybe you shouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

My fealings exactly.

I agree with you 100%... BUT...

Original poster never stated mileage he was getting currently , and is possibly trying to figure out what issues could be causing poor mpg in first place besides the standard big truck/ big engine... etc...

I knew when i was buying my truck it was going to get shitty mileage but when i compare my 14.5 -15mpg to what my dads new 2011 silverado does, I also look to see what things can be done to have the power and save a buck or two.. No reason newer technology cant be retrofitted in older trucks for power and savings.

There is nothing wrong with wanting the best of both worlds. I refuse to drive a car because I hate sitting that low and riding in a whimpy car. Not to mention I don't need two vehicles. But just because I want to drive a truck doesn't mean I should have to suffer with poor gas mileage. I'm happy with the mpg's I get from my truck but if someone else wants to ask some questions or see if there are any options to improve it mileage they can. Andy FYI most 1500 chevys have a 26 gallon tank. Why do people act like there is a problem with wanting a fuel effecient truck. Good Grief... :thumbs:

Archived