Best Grade/station Of Gas Is Best?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right or wrong, I buy from Top Tier gas stations 99% of the time

http://www.toptiergas.com/

My mechanic showed me a jar of Top Tier Gas and a jar of non, and the color and clarity was astounding! The top tier looked a little lighter than the color of Fat Tire and the cheap stuff looked like gas station coffee. :dunno:

In my area it doesn't cost any more, so I don't the the disadvantage. :thumbs:

Any of the Top Tier brands can be considered "Best" But I strongly feel that Chevron uses the best additives in their fuels, in particular the Techron stuff. Nothing wrong with Shell. It's the "Discount Carrier" brands you need to worry about. Places like Walmart/Sams Club/Costco/Your local grocery store/ Mom & Pop no name stations- They often get fuel the cheapest they can find and in most cases they will not have any additives to keep the fuel system clean in them and can actually damage your vehicle. While it is true that for some states all fuel comes from the same terminal, it's the fuel companies additives that are put into the fuel AT THE TERMINAL that makes all the difference right there.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

• 2 weeks later...

No Shell or Chevron around here, so I use BP exclusively. Phillips is listed as Top Tier, but my bone stock 5.3L LC9 crew cab runs best on BP Silver (midgrade) most of the year, and BP Gold (Ultimate/Premium) when it's like 100 degrees F out. I also run 4 bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner through it a year.

Well, around here (Toronto area), it really does not matter where you get your fuel. It is not uncommon to see the big fuel truck stop at Esso, then go to Shell, then go to Pioneer, and finish off at Candian Tire. We don't see major branded fuel trucks as often as we used to.

well I only use Chevron, but that is only because I have a Chevron Gas Card, as I don't like carrying cash, and I won't use my debit card at a pump, too unsecure IMO.

thing is, there are 5 Chevron stations around me, and I can tell the difference between the fuel in them, a difference in the actual miles I get out of a tank varies from station to station..

Far as I have seen and can tell, regardless of the name on the station, the owners buy their gas from whomever they buy from, and simply add the correct additives for the brand they are selling. Very seldom have I ever seen a Chevron truck at a Chevron station, it is usually an unmarked truck.. and I have seen the truck go to Chevron, then pull across the street to Shell or Acro/BP and load their tanks as well..

Archived