Best Grade/station Of Gas Is Best?

I try to use either Sunoco or Shell. I get better fuel mileage with these. Sometimes I'll hit Exxon as well if I'm in the area. But I prefer Sunoco as my #1 pick. Been using Sunoco since 1996 when I had my 90 Mustang 5.0L. 100 unleaded octane bizaches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work at the Chevron refinery in Pascagoula, MS. Most people do not realize all gasoline has to meet Federal standards. After that the only difference in the fuel is any additional additives that the major brands put into the gas. We sell gas to Exxon from the terminal I work at. We also sell fuel to the discount brands. The discount brands do not get any extra additives. We have Exxon additives on site. When a truck comes in to get gasoline for a Exxon station the additives is added while the truck is loaded. Same for the Chevron stations.

If the fuel is a different color it's because of contamination from the stations storage tanks not from the fuel itself.

I would say buy gas from one of the Top tier companies. But that is just my opinion.

The "Big 3" and BMW used to burn Chevron in their EPA test. A friend at a Honda car dealership say they have far less fuel system problems from cars that run Chevron. Their district service manager says Honda's records indicate the same. They strongly suggest Chevron over other fuels to customers with fuel problems. Entec is a TopTier fuel but causes many problems for them. I usually burn 2-3 tanks of the stuff per week with a tank of Costco a few times per month. I just found a local station today that says it does not have ethanol. I may try a few tanks of that and see what happens.

Here in DFW, I keep hearing that Shell and QT have the best gas. I don't usually take such things on faith, but it's interesting that I keep hearing this from truck guys and tuners alike. So I just try to buy Top Tier whenever practical, and QT has good prices...makes the decision easy.

I don't think I've seen a Chevron station around here. Irving is real common here though as I often buy gas there. It's not an American company, they're based in New Brunswick but I'd rather my money go to them than directly to the middle east.

• 1 month later...

I used sunoco 89 in My 5.3.....was ok...use kwik fill 89 and got better mileage. Heard people say NOCO is best. Won't use Mobil as they are always higher in price than anyone else here in Western NY. Would like to see others ban it also.

bit over 18 with sunoco...solid 20 with kwik fill......5.3...6 speed....308's....this is around town....got almost 14 towing a loaded one car trailer through PA...average speed...68 mph on highways

We just got a new Exxon station here in town last year and I have been running that fuel. I have noticed in my used oil analysis that the engine is burning cleaner since I switched over the the Exxon fuel, this is even running the regular 87 octane. Before this we ran BP. Would like to run Shell but there isn't a station close buy.

Just glad to see the difference with using Exxon. Always nice to have good UOA results. :lol:

Hey Austin,

While I believe 100% in Techron and use the product, your doing overkill using it every 3000 miles :lol: Also if you fill up at Chevron most of the time, the Techron included in the fuel will eliminate the need to use additional Techron bottles. If your vehicle runs ok, I'd say run a bottle of Techron every 15-20k if using a Top Tier fuel.

Hey Austin,

While I believe 100% in Techron and use the product, your doing overkill using it every 3000 miles :) Also if you fill up at Chevron most of the time, the Techron included in the fuel will eliminate the need to use additional Techron bottles. If your vehicle runs ok, I'd say run a bottle of Techron every 15-20k if using a Top Tier fuel.

You are probably right. I tend to overkill a lot of things. I change my oil at 6,000 miles which is about 35% on my OLM.

Started using Holiday stores about 2 months ago and noticed about 1mpg better and idle is now perfectly smooth, watch the tac and it stays perfectly steady. A helluva difference after only about 8 tanks through it with the TT gas.

Archived