Mpg When Towing

Fuel economy really doesn't have much to do with rpms, so long as the power output matches the power needed. Gas combustion engines are actually most efficient at higher rpms. Motor #1 may "meet load demand" at 4000 rpm and light throttle, while motor #2 does it at 2000 rpm and heavy fuel input, but the total energy output will be the same. Regarding gas vs turbo diesel, iirc, a TDS can get up to ~25% higher relative efficiency over gas... all else equal.

Any ideas why this thing eats so much gas,

Yes - 3.7 rear gear with 18" rims.

I have a 2005 2500HD CC 6.0L - pulling a 6500 car hauler at 65 - 75 mph - I get 9.5 to 10.5 mpg. It's a 4L80e four speed with 4.11's and 16" wheels - and it stays in 4th gear. I run high test as recommended.

Also - if you can find/buy alcohol free gasoline - you'll pick up about .5 mpg

FWIW,

Carl B.

gas engines have to work harder to generate torque with heavy loads in tow or in haul...thus lower MPG, diesel engines are more efficient and generate higher amounts of torque with less revolutions thus better MPG when towing...theres a reason semi-tractors are all diesel

My '11 ext cab 4x4 Auto, 3.73 18" rims gets around 10mpg consistently. I drive 700 or so miles a week, 500 towing. Had it since February and have almost 12k miles on it now.

I've got a 20ft enclosed that avg about 8k starting, and around 5k when finished. I'm a bread man. Its highway to my sales area, then stop and go, start/shut off 15-20 times per day. Then highway back up the mountain, around 900ft elevation difference.

I was only getting 12 with my '08 Cummins, so I am not fussing at all getting 10mpg with my Vortec. I love this truck.

2011 HD gas crew with 3.73 towed a 6000lb trailer and boat I got about 10.6 MPG towing, I did not try passing I did have one big hill and dozen mild ones. Towed great much better then my 1500 with the 5.3 4 spd.

Even in 82 degree weather the trans temp never exceeded 192 climbing a steep hill with the AC on. trans averaged about 154 degree's

far lower then my 1500 which would go a little over 200 and stay at 185 during tow.

I'm towing a 34' travel trailer weighing in around 10,000+ lbs. I've only had two short short weekend trips (one tank trips) - and so far I'm getting about 11mpg (US gallon). I was hoping for more.

Dang, that is with the Duramax? I always read of others with the Duramax doing a lot better.

Yes, its with the duramax. Like I said, I'm only breaking it in - but so far the mpg isn't too good. My first long trip isn't until the July 1st weekend. By then the engine will certainly be broken in - and I should be getting consistent figures. I'll let you know how it goes.

One thing I will say is that despite the mpg figures, there is NO comparison in terms of pulling power. Tons of power - in fact it almost never gears down, even up reasonably steep hills. I also love the factory exhaust break. With or without the mpg, I wouldn't trade back to a gas engine.

I've been on 3 trips towing the trailer - and the mpgs keep increasing. I went from about 11MPG (US) to 14MPG (US). With any luck it will increase a notch or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I tow a 7000lb 33 ft Fleetwood Wilderness tall at 10' high. I have pulled it over 35,000 km so far (down to Keys 3 times and a route 66 trip last summer) and i get between 8.5 and 9.5 mpg with my 5.3L 6 speed.

• 2 years later...

Archived