Firmware Update For Advent Gm Navi Has Been Released

I'm having way too many problems with this update. The previous firmware was solid for me. Does anyone know where I can get the previous firmware to reinstall? Think it was the April one...04282011?

I've got the Advent OGM1 - Went to Horizon Navigation and found that there was an update from 5.0.46 to 5.0.56 so of course I tried it. That didn't work but for some reason when I copied the original files back on the card now the navigation won't work.

Is there anyone out there that has a copy of the files that go in the root of this card?

Hey guys, I work with these radios daily so I will try my best to help out. Clyde, the Nav update you tried was not for your radio. It is listed for the Advent ADVUV630. This is why it did not work. It's kind of like using the wrong update for your laptop, if it's not the right model it won't work or worse cause an issue.

Contact Advent customer service at 800-645-4994, be honest with them, tell them you ran an update for the map and it wiped your card. They can send you out a CD that will reload your map. Also when you call you need to give them the serial number of the radio so they can give you an activation code for the map. Find this under the INFO menu listed as UUID. After you reload your map, run it and it will ask for this activation code. In the future DO NOT run any update unless it is for your radio. Hope this helps.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it works on mine. maybe try and redo the update

Just tried and still did not work. I'm going out on a limb here. I had my door locks reprogrammed at the dealership when i got the truck. Did you?

I'm sure it does not mean anything just trying to figure something out.

Thanks

Smooney

It seems there is more then one set of CAN codes that detect the key in switch. This is why some of the guys here are saying it corrected that situation and some are saying it did not, some never had the issue. Advent is aware of this and working on it as we speak. It takes a little while for something like this because they have to find a vehicle that is expeiancing the issue, read the CAN and then re-write the code. It would be great if GM had a standard set, but they do not. Having your door locks programmed would have no effect at all. I am sure Walt will send out another note when this comes through. Hang in there.

Anyone else having problems with the update?? I have done the update twice and confirmed I have the new one from 7/20 but still having the same issues with XM preset buttons. Also - was the issue fixed in which that the presets would change when using your steering wheels controls? instead of toggling channels?

Also - noticed that the turn signal volume or whatever is higher once again. The original firmware that came with it had this problem. I then upgraded to the April firmware and that issue got fixed. Upgraded to this new one and it's back. This is on an '07 Avalanche by the way

Airomero83

The station selection method is being looked at, they have not released a schedule for that change but it is in the works. Still better then Rosen where you have no category, search, or direct entry. :cheers:

For the Turn signals and tones being loud, is your system a Bose system? If so then you need to adjust the radio for the Bose. go into the info screen and touch the letters "TH" in the word "Bluetooth". This will bring up a screen that ask's FACTORY AMPLIFIER ON OFF, select ON if you have Bose. Then exit back to the menu, turn the radio off then on again and you will be fixed.

Clyde

Let me see if I can help with some of these. I will put my answers below in bold print.

I've got a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe with this Radio.

The main issues I'm seeing once the 7/20/2011 update are as follows:

1. In the past 2 weeks after starting the vehicle and the unit turning on, no XM signal, Source is XM when it's turned on but the display is blank with no sound. Have to shut the vehicle off, open the door to turn the radio off and then restart to receive a signal. This has happend 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I've also noticed that when it's started up that the last present is not depressed so you don't know which preset you've got selected and there is no channel # on the screen with any information. It's playing the song from the last channel selected but I don't know which one that is. Have to press the presets from one to another to pick it up again.

They do know about this, seems to only be with some tuners. They recommend disconnecting the battery cable in order to reboot the factory xm tuner. Give it about 10 mins to set and reconnect. Advent is looking at the issue and should release some info as they have it.

2. When playing a song from the IPOD plugged in and you shut the vehicle off. Starting the vehicle up brings you back to the IPOD screen but the song won't continue to play. You have to wait a few seconds and then either go to the previous song or next song to get it going again. I would think that it would just continue or at least allow you to press the play button. It's not paused or anything.

What iPod are you leaving connected? Does this do the same with your iPhone 3G? These are all approved by Apple and some things are dictated by Apple for reasons unknown to anyone. For example if it is a device that is more then 18 months old Apple no longer supports that device if there is an issue. Just wait till iPhone 5 comes out...

3. I've noticed that when you make a phone call that at times the sound drops out once they answer and you can't hear the person on the other end unless you turn the volume up. A little irritating.

The Bluetooth volume is independent of other sources. When you make your first call set it where you want it and it will stay there. You have to do this while in the call the first time. Also make sure your phone volume is turned up while in the bluetooth call, the phone volume can effect this as well. That goes for A2DP music transfer too.

4. The onstar / bluetooth phone button on the steering wheel as it depressed at times you think it doesn't work but it's the volume. You just have to go back to the system and turn up the sound. Irritating

This is the same as the Bluetooth, set it while OnStar is talking and you shouldn't have to do it again. Nav now works the same way too.

5. The phone book, search feature is strange. You use the keyboard and press lets say C and start scrolling down the last names list but the name I want isn't there. If I look at it in my phone it's there. Playing around with this feature I can't find some of the names. Using I-Phone 3GS. It would be nice if you could type the actual last name instead of just the first letter.

This is just the way the system is designed, it might change at another date. It will handle up to 1000 names and numbers per phone paired. Right now Parrot does not support full name entry.

It would be nice if you could do that with any of the keyboard functions where ever you are. Not just pick the first letter but actually as you type it would display the item below so you know you found what your seeking.

The key in the ignition has really gotten me twice. Dead battery, dealership visit to find out later that I can't leave the key in the ignition otherwise the system stays on all night. Even after the update it's happened and that's when I figured that out. Radio played all night and when I opened the door in the morning I figured that the key must be removed.

I like the radio but I think they need to continue with the improvements. I really like the fact that they are addressing items too.

I"m not sure if posting these issues here will get to the right people but these are the things I've experienced.

People like Walt are getting the messages across. I will do my best to pass them along too. The fact is we never know when GM will send a vehicle update down over OnStar and reconfigure something in the vehicle. The nice thing is that Advent is listening and can make this stuff happen with today's technology and put a fix out relatively quickly too.

Well, OGM1 is on the fritz again :). Was at the store, started up, and now is in a continuous reboot. Dont know if this had anything to do with the new firmware or not but that was several days ago. It is kind of what happened with my first OGM1 but that one did it the moment I put it in.

Anyone know if there is any kind of hard reset for this thing? I could disconnect the battery for a few minutes but was hoping for something easier.

Man, I should have just bought the pioneer :/.

Ernie

Ernie

There is a reset button on the front that can be held down for about 20 seconds to do a master reboot. BUT I don't think that's your issue. When you installed it did it fit flush in the dash or did you have to torque it down to get t flush? Some GM dashes actually warp or if you get the cables behind the unit and then try to tighten it down to get it to fit flush you actually twist the LCD panel. Pop your dash cover off and remove the 4 screws holding the radio in. See if it stops and runs right. The radio should fit flush against the 4 mounting points in the dash without any room behind them. If the dash is warped or the radio is not sitting flush against the dash figure out why. Then reinstall the radio with hand tools not a screw gun like many installers do. I have seen a gm dash so warped that 3 holes lined up great and one you could put your finger between the radio and the dash. Even a Pioneer will act up if it is twisted in the dash.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Well, OGM1 is on the fritz again :dunno:. Was at the store, started up, and now is in a continuous reboot. Dont know if this had anything to do with the new firmware or not but that was several days ago. It is kind of what happened with my first OGM1 but that one did it the moment I put it in.

Anyone know if there is any kind of hard reset for this thing? I could disconnect the battery for a few minutes but was hoping for something easier.

Man, I should have just bought the pioneer :/.

Ernie

Thanks Chris.

Yep, that is EXACTLY what happened with the first OGM1 I had except it was not the dash that was the problem, it was a bad unit. The unit itself seemed to be twisted because it would not sit perfectly flush (off maybe a millimeter at the most). When I got the replacement I was extremely careful to make sure it was flush and had washers ready but it turns out that I did not need it because the new unit sat flush with all 4 screws. And yes I only used hand tools and make sure not to over-tighten it.

I will have to yank the thing out again tomorrow to troubleshoot. Can do it blindfolded at this point - getting really old.

Thanks for the help though. I will let you know what happens.

Ernie

Tried both this morning. Did the reset button which rebooted as expected but still a continuous reboot at the Advent screen at startup.

Took apart the dash. Took out the head unit (which still sits flush without the screws in) and no difference. Looks like I have to call advent next week. Cant wait to see how long it will take to get this worked out.

Chris, do you have alot of experience with the Rosen? I know alot of people bash it but is it that bad? One thing that really impresses me is the navigation. It uses iGO which is an outstanding nav software (I have it on my phone running of my sd card), definitely my favorite. But I have seen youtube videos that do not put it in a good light.

Thanks

Ernie

Ernie

Have only seen a few out of many we installed that had an issue, generally it comes down to something that looks different or works different and people don't understand. I know Advent recognized the problem with some GM dashes and redesigned the TFT support panel to allow more give room for flex. You will have to work with the dealer that sold you the radio but Advent has never stopped a warranty claim that I have seen.

Yes I have worked with Rosen, but iGo is just the software they use. You can get iGO on many different products as you said you had it on your phone. There are some pretty major differences with Rosen vs Advent. You need an adapter to use an iPod and it plugs into the Disk Changer port, so the audio quality is definitely different as compared to true USB 2.0. There is no album art, and no video. I don't think they are actually iPod licensed either. Had a problem and called Apple and they said they had no listing of the brand or products. The XM is only selectable by rotating the tuning knob through all the stations then you can select the station as a preset. There is no direct entry, category, or channel listing. The Chimes sound nothing like the factory chimes either.

I don't bash any brand, I will let the features speak for themselves (never know who we will be working with some day :D)

As for the NAV software I think both Horizon and iGO both have good points and bad, I have driven both and really don't have a preference. Most OEM systems use something closer to Horizon with Teleatlas maps, iGO is easier to use for a starter and runs Navteq.

Hope I have helped a little.

Tried both this morning. Did the reset button which rebooted as expected but still a continuous reboot at the Advent screen at startup.

Took apart the dash. Took out the head unit (which still sits flush without the screws in) and no difference. Looks like I have to call advent next week. Cant wait to see how long it will take to get this worked out.

Chris, do you have alot of experience with the Rosen? I know alot of people bash it but is it that bad? One thing that really impresses me is the navigation. It uses iGO which is an outstanding nav software (I have it on my phone running of my sd card), definitely my favorite. But I have seen youtube videos that do not put it in a good light.

Thanks

Ernie

Thanks again Chris. You make some interesting points. I have to say though that I think, overall, Horizon is very disappointing. I dont know, it could be that I need to get more into the settings of the software to see if maybe there are adjustments that need to be be made to make it more the way I like. Streets are a good example. They disappear way to quickly when you start to Zoom out. Igo, on my phone at least, is much more tolerant so I use it all the time for plain old map reading. Also, the lane assist in iGO is fantastic, what a difference it makes, even shows you those big green overhead exit signs on interstates in the software which actually match up very well to what you see when driving. Unfortunately, Horizon doesn't even come close to that kind of detail.

Anyway, I talked to advent yesterday. They concluded that I needed to send the unit back after having me do everything I had already done all over again. They talked about the screen redesign to allow for more flex but could not tell me when exactly it was implemented so no way to know if either of the ones I had previously had it or not - I am hoping not so as to explain the problem.

Then, after being transferred around for almost an hour since everyone kept saying they were the wrong department I finally got to the "Sales" department that handled consumer level RMAs. They are paying for shipping both ways which is nice but they need TWO weeks to turn it around :/. Hopefully that is just a general number they throw out and it will actually happen much faster.

So, long story short, it does not appear to be the firmware that caused the problem. More likely just a coincidence.

Ernie

Hi Ernie

Hmm something sounds strange. Advent has an advanced exchange program for dealers. This means if you need a replacement they ship a new one, give an ra, and then credit against it when it returns. That whole thing usually takes two weeks. Are you a new dealer?

From what I get they made the change early this year. If you look at the serial number the first few digits are the production date: FLY20101221 would be December 21 of 2010. I believe it was in January or February if correct.

I would love to have google maps, maybe someday when full connectivity is possible we could use something like that.

Thanks again Chris. You make some interesting points. I have to say though that I think, overall, Horizon is very disappointing. I dont know, it could be that I need to get more into the settings of the software to see if maybe there are adjustments that need to be be made to make it more the way I like. Streets are a good example. They disappear way to quickly when you start to Zoom out. Igo, on my phone at least, is much more tolerant so I use it all the time for plain old map reading. Also, the lane assist in iGO is fantastic, what a difference it makes, even shows you those big green overhead exit signs on interstates in the software which actually match up very well to what you see when driving. Unfortunately, Horizon doesn't even come close to that kind of detail.

Anyway, I talked to advent yesterday. They concluded that I needed to send the unit back after having me do everything I had already done all over again. They talked about the screen redesign to allow for more flex but could not tell me when exactly it was implemented so no way to know if either of the ones I had previously had it or not - I am hoping not so as to explain the problem.

Then, after being transferred around for almost an hour since everyone kept saying they were the wrong department I finally got to the "Sales" department that handled consumer level RMAs. They are paying for shipping both ways which is nice but they need TWO weeks to turn it around :/. Hopefully that is just a general number they throw out and it will actually happen much faster.

So, long story short, it does not appear to be the firmware that caused the problem. More likely just a coincidence.

Ernie

Sorry Chris, should have made it clearer. I am not a dealer, just and en user like most of the people on this forum. So no, no credit exchange for me :/.

I will have to look at the sn when I get home (took a picture before shipping).

Ya, its only a matter of time before the HUs are just like our phones. I am wondering when someone will use something like Android for a car head unit. I cant image someone not either thinking about or working on it.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Ernie

Clyde

Let me see if I can help with some of these. I will put my answers below in bold print.

I've got a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe with this Radio.

The main issues I'm seeing once the 7/20/2011 update are as follows:

1. In the past 2 weeks after starting the vehicle and the unit turning on, no XM signal, Source is XM when it's turned on but the display is blank with no sound. Have to shut the vehicle off, open the door to turn the radio off and then restart to receive a signal. This has happend 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I've also noticed that when it's started up that the last present is not depressed so you don't know which preset you've got selected and there is no channel # on the screen with any information. It's playing the song from the last channel selected but I don't know which one that is. Have to press the presets from one to another to pick it up again.

They do know about this, seems to only be with some tuners. They recommend disconnecting the battery cable in order to reboot the factory xm tuner. Give it about 10 mins to set and reconnect. Advent is looking at the issue and should release some info as they have it.

2. When playing a song from the IPOD plugged in and you shut the vehicle off. Starting the vehicle up brings you back to the IPOD screen but the song won't continue to play. You have to wait a few seconds and then either go to the previous song or next song to get it going again. I would think that it would just continue or at least allow you to press the play button. It's not paused or anything.

What iPod are you leaving connected? Does this do the same with your iPhone 3G? These are all approved by Apple and some things are dictated by Apple for reasons unknown to anyone. For example if it is a device that is more then 18 months old Apple no longer supports that device if there is an issue. Just wait till iPhone 5 comes out...

3. I've noticed that when you make a phone call that at times the sound drops out once they answer and you can't hear the person on the other end unless you turn the volume up. A little irritating.

The Bluetooth volume is independent of other sources. When you make your first call set it where you want it and it will stay there. You have to do this while in the call the first time. Also make sure your phone volume is turned up while in the bluetooth call, the phone volume can effect this as well. That goes for A2DP music transfer too.

4. The onstar / bluetooth phone button on the steering wheel as it depressed at times you think it doesn't work but it's the volume. You just have to go back to the system and turn up the sound. Irritating

This is the same as the Bluetooth, set it while OnStar is talking and you shouldn't have to do it again. Nav now works the same way too.

5. The phone book, search feature is strange. You use the keyboard and press lets say C and start scrolling down the last names list but the name I want isn't there. If I look at it in my phone it's there. Playing around with this feature I can't find some of the names. Using I-Phone 3GS. It would be nice if you could type the actual last name instead of just the first letter.

This is just the way the system is designed, it might change at another date. It will handle up to 1000 names and numbers per phone paired. Right now Parrot does not support full name entry.

It would be nice if you could do that with any of the keyboard functions where ever you are. Not just pick the first letter but actually as you type it would display the item below so you know you found what your seeking.

The key in the ignition has really gotten me twice. Dead battery, dealership visit to find out later that I can't leave the key in the ignition otherwise the system stays on all night. Even after the update it's happened and that's when I figured that out. Radio played all night and when I opened the door in the morning I figured that the key must be removed.

I like the radio but I think they need to continue with the improvements. I really like the fact that they are addressing items too.

I"m not sure if posting these issues here will get to the right people but these are the things I've experienced.

People like Walt are getting the messages across. I will do my best to pass them along too. The fact is we never know when GM will send a vehicle update down over OnStar and reconfigure something in the vehicle. The nice thing is that Advent is listening and can make this stuff happen with today's technology and put a fix out relatively quickly too.

Good morning,

I finally got the CD and re-created the SD Card. Did the update, hard reset and things are at least updated once again.

I did notice that right after the update, I had to manually step through every XM station since the radio couldn't find any by turning the knob. It only took a minute then I was able to see the stations in the guide and get my presets working again. Had to resync my phone but I'm looking forward to the next update that might resolve some of these issues.

I'm going to reset the battery when I get a chance to see if that helps on the XM side.

Thank you so much for addressing each issue. It's nice to know that there are people still out there trying to help others.

Clyde

Thanks Chris! Adjusted the radio for the Bose system and now everything sounds like it should!

Anyone else having problems with the update?? I have done the update twice and confirmed I have the new one from 7/20 but still having the same issues with XM preset buttons. Also - was the issue fixed in which that the presets would change when using your steering wheels controls? instead of toggling channels?

Also - noticed that the turn signal volume or whatever is higher once again. The original firmware that came with it had this problem. I then upgraded to the April firmware and that issue got fixed. Upgraded to this new one and it's back. This is on an '07 Avalanche by the way

Airomero83

The station selection method is being looked at, they have not released a schedule for that change but it is in the works. Still better then Rosen where you have no category, search, or direct entry. :thumbs:

For the Turn signals and tones being loud, is your system a Bose system? If so then you need to adjust the radio for the Bose. go into the info screen and touch the letters "TH" in the word "Bluetooth". This will bring up a screen that ask's FACTORY AMPLIFIER ON OFF, select ON if you have Bose. Then exit back to the menu, turn the radio off then on again and you will be fixed.

Good morning,

I finally got the CD and re-created the SD Card. Did the update, hard reset and things are at least updated once again.

I did notice that right after the update, I had to manually step through every XM station since the radio couldn't find any by turning the knob. It only took a minute then I was able to see the stations in the guide and get my presets working again. Had to resync my phone but I'm looking forward to the next update that might resolve some of these issues.

I'm going to reset the battery when I get a chance to see if that helps on the XM side.

Thank you so much for addressing each issue. It's nice to know that there are people still out there trying to help others.

Clyde

Clyde

Glad to hear you got that going again. Be careful, unless you see your radio model number don't ever try an update :)

The Xm and Phone reset are normal. When you do an update all of the WinCE system files are updated. XM also only sends the channel information down every few minutes so if you wait a few it would have repopulated by itself. This is not an error just waiting on the data. And basically you just cleared the phone data from the memory. So unless you delete the phone or re-run an update you will not need to do that. Sometimes unhooking the vehicle battery for a little bit then reconnecting will help the XM update, or reset. I have seen XM tuners lock up and we have had to do that. this happens even on the factory radio since the XM is a separate module.

Archived