5.3/3.42/6sp Complaints

I've had mine about 4 months now and I love it so far. It's exactly what I need. They tried to sell me the 6.2 but I love my mpg's so far. I've gotten 17-19mpg so far no more no less on my 2011 4x4 5.3-6spd auto with 3.42 gears. Sometimes I wish it had a bit more power in that it had 3.73's or 4.10's but then I would have worse mpgs, but I'm happy. I'm very happy I chose the 5.3 instead of the 6.2. Salesman tried to say they get about the same mpgs. There's no way that can be true. More displacement equals more fuel no matter what anyone says. I test drove the 6.2 and was not very impressed anyhow. The 5.3 is a proven 200k mile engine for sure.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple questions for you guys:

Has anyone else noticed jerky downshifting when braking? Say braking from 30-0 for a stop sign.

Is it normal to hear the transmission shifting while coasting or braking? I assume I cant hear it while upshifting due to the engine revving.

I have a 2011.

I test drove the 6.2 and was not very impressed anyhow. The 5.3 is a proven 200k mile engine for sure.

The problem is when people test drive the 6.2 off the lots, the dealership 99% of the time fills them up with 87 octane gas, so you are not going to feel any umph so to speak (thus the truck REALLY runs and feels sluggish). When you fill it with 91+, the ecu will advance the timing and it will really pull/accelerate well. I have a 6.2 and average, if I baby it, 15mpg in the city and 21.5 on the interstate. It has alot of torque and you don't need to get on it whatsoever. A tune REALLY wakes these monsters up. Oh, love the 6speed too :lol: No complaints so far. Again, the computer will take some time to adjust to your driving style.

I have a couple questions for you guys:

Has anyone else noticed jerky downshifting when braking? Say braking from 30-0 for a stop sign.

Is it normal to hear the transmission shifting while coasting or braking? I assume I cant hear it while upshifting due to the engine revving.

I have a 2011.

I've chalked mine up doing this as being normal. '11 chevy 5.3/3.42

Have had mine almost a year with 20,000 miles and absolutley love the truck. Only issue was front bumper rust at the center section and the dealer replaced after second time in the shop.

Archived