Advent Ogm-1 Installation Video

You should have an email in your inbox, Dan!

Walt

Walt... Response received!! Many thanks sir!!

I'm ready to pull the trigger but I just want to make absolutely sure I will lose none of the stock radio functionality by installing the OGM-1. XM, full hands free Bluetooth, radio presets at the steering wheel... Even voice dialing and the feature that my truck talks back to me. (Note: I think that's slicker than white bread and ball point pens!!)

How does the screen act in cold, I mean REALLY COLD, weather? Minnesota gets mighty nippy in the winter.

the only function i wish it had (hopefully coming in the next update) is changing XM presets with the steering wheel controls.

the steering wheel controls will change AM/FM presets, but they just go up/down to the next channel when listening to XM. that is the only thing i wish it did. the presets are different than the factory radio. you have separate presets for each radio. you have to push the source button to flip between AM/FM and push the XM button to listen to XM. i just leave mine on XM because i enjoy the music more than commercials.

as for handsfree bluetooth, i didn't have it from the factory, but according to the guys that did, it is seamless. Walt can elaborate more on that since he installs them daily.

can't help you with the cold, but we had some record heat here over the summer. it worked fine except for one day it was 132 inside the truck, because i wasn't parked in the shade and the radio did not come on. maybe there's a heat sensor that prevents it from coming on in extreme heat. but that was months ago and haven't had any problems with it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should have an email in your inbox, Dan!

Walt

Walt... Response received!! Many thanks sir!!

I'm ready to pull the trigger but I just want to make absolutely sure I will lose none of the stock radio functionality by installing the OGM-1. XM, full hands free Bluetooth, radio presets at the steering wheel... Even voice dialing and the feature that my truck talks back to me. (Note: I think that's slicker than white bread and ball point pens!!)

How does the screen act in cold, I mean REALLY COLD, weather? Minnesota gets mighty nippy in the winter.

the only function i wish it had (hopefully coming in the next update) is changing XM presets with the steering wheel controls.

the steering wheel controls will change AM/FM presets, but they just go up/down to the next channel when listening to XM. that is the only thing i wish it did. the presets are different than the factory radio. you have separate presets for each radio. you have to push the source button to flip between AM/FM and push the XM button to listen to XM. i just leave mine on XM because i enjoy the music more than commercials.

as for handsfree bluetooth, i didn't have it from the factory, but according to the guys that did, it is seamless. Walt can elaborate more on that since he installs them daily.

can't help you with the cold, but we had some record heat here over the summer. it worked fine except for one day it was 132 inside the truck, because i wasn't parked in the shade and the radio did not come on. maybe there's a heat sensor that prevents it from coming on in extreme heat. but that was months ago and haven't had any problems with it.

All the stuff you mentioned is present and accounted for - as far as we can tell, the Bluetooth is on par with factory in terms of voice quality, and blows it away in terms of features. XM is BETTER than factory in terms of the data displayed. Steering wheel controls are all there EXCEPT for pickup and hangup (just learned this is due to integration with OnStar), but it has voice recognition dialing from a button on the deck, so you really don't give up anything to the factory, just where you have to push to get it.

As far as cold, I haven't heard anything. I know that everything we've ever sold has a process that certifies the units to a very low temp, but I don't know exactly what that is. I'll see if I can find out what range it's certified for.

As for user-requested features, I know that the Advent engineers read this forum, so I would never hesitate to ask for features that you want or share your experiences with the deck. I know that at least a couple features and fixes in the firmwares released to date have been a DIRECT result of this forum and those in it...

Walt

www.adcmobile.com

as for handsfree bluetooth, i didn\'t have it from the factory, but according to the guys that did, it is seamless. Walt can elaborate more on that since he installs them daily.

can\'t help you with the cold, but we had some record heat here over the summer. it worked fine except for one day it was 132 inside the truck, because i wasn\'t parked in the shade and the radio did not come on. maybe there\'s a heat sensor that prevents it from coming on in extreme heat. but that was months ago and haven\'t had any problems with it.

Another thing would be under A2DP via bluetooth. It is similar to the XM preset problem, the steering wheel controls do not control the next/pre buttons that are on the screen (use it alot with Pandora on my droid). Hopefully they will add it at some point as well.

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Walt, you mentioned in your '11 Silverado Bose install video you would be making a video for a work truck Silverado without Bose. Any update on that? I've got the '11 with the upgraded cd/radio with RDS.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey Walt,

I have a 2007 chevy tahoe ltz bose system with rear entertainment and dvd. I have been wanting to get navi and think this unit is the one for me. After watching your installation video and reading posts about the product I'm sold. My question is how easy is it to hook up a back up camera also. Is that something I can do myself. Do you have any videos showing that. Also can you contact me regarding pricing or should I just call you. Thanks

Hey Walt,

I have a 2007 chevy tahoe ltz bose system with rear entertainment and dvd. I have been wanting to get navi and think this unit is the one for me. After watching your installation video and reading posts about the product I'm sold. My question is how easy is it to hook up a back up camera also. Is that something I can do myself. Do you have any videos showing that. Also can you contact me regarding pricing or should I just call you. Thanks

Email sent... :- )

Great video. But whats this 'parking brake lead' You said you ran it in, but didn't describe how, or why? Did you have to cut a wire and attach a bullet connector??

Parking brake lead from the deck is T-Tapped to the parking brake wire (light blue wire behind the bottom left of the left I/P Junction block). This prevents watching DVD while driving - you only get DVD or iPod video while e-brake is engaged..

If you want to hook this up, you can, but there is a "demo" mode in the deck that allows you to bypass this.

With the rear dvd screen, isn't the point to have the DVD playing while driving?

The brake override function allows DVD and iPod video to play on the front screen while driving (though you would never do this, right?)

To get rear entertainment output, hit the "Rear LCD" button on the menu (top row, all the way to the right) - this turns on the DVD for rear seat passengers and allows you to control it from the deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived