2010 Silverado 5.3l Lifter Ticking

SO..My question here is.....Is the ticking that these engines are doing just irritating to hear, or is it doing damage to the engines?

My Sierra 5.3 AFM and my wife's Yukon 5.3 AFM both make the ticking when warm or cold and can be heard best on the left hand side from the Left front wheel well area.

I really don't want to think about having someone tear my engines apart to fix something that just ticks a bit.

If it was going to damage the engine, why does GM say it's normal, NO FURTHER MTX REQUIRED?

To me, saying it's NORMAL doesn't mean it's not hurting anything, it's just admitting that all the others they listen to are making the noise also.

So, again my question is: Is this issue going to damage the engine or is it just the fact that it sounds like a sewing machine?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went from using the Mobil1 m1-113 oil filter(for almost 20k since new) back to the AC Delco PF48. However I am still using the Mobil1 5w30 ext life synthic oil (which happens to be dexos1). The valvetrain noise would only happen for 1-2 seconds max right after start up. I have also notice that before with the Mobil1 filter my oil pressure guage would stay mostly around dead center on the guage at all times, now with the AC Delco filter the guage drops a little from center at idle or really low rpm but dramatically raises past center under acceleration or at higher rpm's. In addition. when I had the filters side by side, the AC Delco's six holes are larger than the Mobil1's six holes, improved flow mabey??? Good luck...
Ok, I sorta see where yer going here, but I think that your thinking might be backwards: For starters, I'm concerned that my oil pressure drops so low at warm idle while in gear. It's between 1/4 scale and dead center which is I think is about 30 PSI: 2b1a02ad.jpg However when racing it up a bit (1,500-2,000 RPM), it just crests 1/2 way, or dead center as you say which is probably a tad over 40 PSI: 286c523b.jpg In years of rebuilding motors, "higher" oil pressure was always seen as the better thing, not "lower". So if you had a filter that was yielding a "higher" oil pressure at idle, then to me, this was the better filter, no ? As far as hydraulic lifters, and oil film barrier bearings (rod & crank bearings), you typically want "pressure", not "flow". In fact, as engines wear, higher "flow" (associated with increasing bearing clearances as engines wear) is seen as a "bad" thing since higher "flow" usually results in lower overall "pressures". The 28-30 psi at hot idle your showing is just fine. Good rule of thumb is 10-12psi for every 1000 rpms. Mine reads exactly the same as yours.

Thanks. Ok, on the oil, I'm fixing to change the oil (just for the heck of it).

Q: Does GM approve using the Mobile 1 (ext life?) 5W30 synthetic oil (for warranty etc)

Q: On the Delco PF-48, is it the blue one, or any special version of it (I see different versions) ?

Thanks!

SO..My question here is.....Is the ticking that these engines are doing just irritating to hear, or is it doing damage to the engines?

My Sierra 5.3 AFM and my wife's Yukon 5.3 AFM both make the ticking when warm or cold and can be heard best on the left hand side from the Left front wheel well area.

I really don't want to think about having someone tear my engines apart to fix something that just ticks a bit.

If it was going to damage the engine, why does GM say it's normal, NO FURTHER MTX REQUIRED?

To me, saying it's NORMAL doesn't mean it's not hurting anything, it's just admitting that all the others they listen to are making the noise also.

So, again my question is: Is this issue going to damage the engine or is it just the fact that it sounds like a sewing machine?

Well, like you, I've been trying to wade thru all of this to try to make these same assessments.

For starters, you didn't mention the year of the motor, nor the mileage on it. I think that's important info here.

So at this point, here's what we know (or at least how I've analyzed all of the data out here in this:

1) There's a cold engine lifter ticking issue, and a TSB on it, of which, may involve replacing the lifters.

2) There are at least two new different lifters are being used (for the TSB), either the redesigned "Delphi" brand, and a "Eaton" brand.

3) Some have reported that the TSB has fixed their cold-engine lifter ticking noise.

4) For us warm-engine lifter ticking noise people, there is no TSB, and dealers aren't identifying it as a problem.

5) For those who have pushed the warm lifter tick problem, and forced dealers to replace the lifters pretty much handed up with the lifter ticking problem afterwards anyays. If there are/were reports where a lifter replacement did actually fix the warm engine lifter ticking problem, I don't see it, or missed it (them)? - almost all of the reports I see are that it still exists after the lifter replacement, and I know of at least one person who forced GM to the point to where they replaced his entire engine with a new one.

Observations:

I see a LOT of reports (obviously), but building engines for a large part of my life, I know a little bit about engines. So, here's my 2-cents:

- The known symptom is that it ticks on the left bank, - audible thru the left wheel wheel.

- We also know that it ticks from low idle to ~1,500-2,000 RPM, and that it goes away at that RPM (and higher). I've not seen ONE report where this is not true, or that it ticks above this RPM.

- Recently we've been talking about oil "pressure", and oil pressure at certain RPM's (filters, my photo's, etc).

- In such conversation, we've said that oil pressure doesn't max out, or hit dead center (~40 PSI) until just under 2,000 RPM (somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM at least).

So, this tells me that this really IS an oil pressure thing. Sure, most engines only need 30 PSI (or less) at low idle, but I'm starting to conclude that due to some sort of engine casting situation (galley ways etc), that 30 PSI on the gauge at low idle results in too little oil to the lifter mechanisms on the left bank.

The very fact that when you slowly race the engine up to 1,500-2000 RPM (and the oil gauge max's out) the the noise stops tells me that the lifters themselves aren't failed.

Granted, in normal lifter design, you don't need a lot of oil pressure (if any at all) to keep the lifter working properly, but maybe it's the long AFM lifters that need more pressure to keep them pumped up.

As far as damage? Anytime you hear noise, there's damage/wear being done in my mind. The question is the extent of the damage. I've heard that lifters in this motor have rollers on them, so probably not doing a lot of damage. If there is some hydaulic issue going inside the lifter itself, then there is probably minute wear taking place when it's ticking like that. Enough to worry about at this point? probably not.

Here is a detailed thread that explains how the lifters work (and how a solenoid cuts oil supply to the lifters):

http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=118710

They also make mention of some replaceable filer in the galley way or some such.

EDIT UPDATE: It would behoove all of the people reading this thread to also take the time to read this thread. At least one guy claims that he WAS able to fix the problem strictly by oil selection (and there is also that mention of the AC Delco PF-48 thing too)

Dealer replaced mine twice and only after the second repair the cold start lifters tick improved!, the oil pressure in the picture looks fine to me, before the second repair the oil pressure used to be at around 40 warm idle and higher while driving.

I believe it's an oiling problem, just add little oil until noise disappears.

Forgot to tell you the oil pump is regulated which means it will pump as needed. try reduce the oil and you will see oil pressure increase, but if you add more oil pressure will drop.

There might be a design problem else where, may be in the oil pan area....

you may also check this: PIP4158C: Low Oil Pressure Due To Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve - (Dec 29, 2009)

Hope this will help

Dealer replaced mine twice and only after the second repair the cold start lifters tick improved!, the oil pressure in the picture looks fine to me, before the second repair the oil pressure used to be at around 40 warm idle and higher while driving.

I believe it's an oiling problem, just add little oil until noise disappears.

Forgot to tell you the oil pump is regulated which means it will pump as needed. try reduce the oil and you will see oil pressure increase, but if you add more oil pressure will drop.

There might be a design problem else where, may be in the oil pan area....

you may also check this: PIP4158C: Low Oil Pressure Due To Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve - (Dec 29, 2009)

Hope this will help

You had your lifters replaced twice?, did they find out later that it was an updated part# or something?

Yup!, they put the updated GM part numbers+oil pump in the second repair...it is not gone completely but it's improved, it's back to the state when it was new where noise was very light!. I believe there is more to it than lifters, I think oiling is what causes lifters to tick earlier or later. To prove it, add little extra oil and check the noise.

, just add little oil until noise disappears.

try reduce the oil and you will see oil pressure increase, but if you add more oil pressure will drop.

This seems "backwards". First you say to "add" oil until the noise disappears, but then you say that "adding" oil reduces oil pressure. Are you suggesting that "too much" oil pressure causes the cold ticking ?

My problem was the 'HOT ticking', - not the cold ticking. I assume yours was the cold ticking that goes away when the engine warms up? Also, what year us your vehicle ?

There might be a design problem else where,

I agree with that. But I think that we people post their experiences, I think that it's important to state whether or not their symptoms are the cold tick, or hot ticking like seen tin the YouTube video (and the year of their vehicle).

Just to be clear, my truck would tick when it was cold or hot and it was random, sometimes it would do it a few times a day and then it would go away for a few days and not make a sound, then it seemed like it would come back louder than ever.

mokeman3, you need new lifters bro, the thing is finding a dealer that has done this before and knows the symtoms. Until you get new lifters, your truck will always tick.

mokeman3, you need new lifters bro, the thing is finding a dealer that has done this before and knows the symtoms. Until you get new lifters, your truck will always tick.

While I totally agree with your comment about finding a dealer that has done this before (and willing to do it), here's where I struggle:

You say that I need new lifters, but yet you (and at least a few others I know) had them replaced TWICE and it didn't fix it. I'm looking for a clear indication(s) that replacing the lifters fixes the hot ticking.

I think it is more complex that we know (as is being suggested). i.e.., some oiling problem that is making the lifters go bad. The other information we're lacking is whether or not its the "AFM" lifters that are making the noise, or the regular non-AFM lifters.

Also makes me wonder if one (if so inclined) could replace the AFM lifters (and push rods ?) with regular lifters essentially permanently disabling the AFM.

My lifters ARE fixed and were only replaced once, 4wd said that his were replaced twice. My lifters were replaced with the updated part# 12576400, 8 needed and non-AFM and part# 12632143, 8 needed -AFM lifter. http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-5-3l-v8/going-in-for-new-lifters-t5855.html this is my whole topic. The tech showed me the old AFM lifters and two of them made a rattle noise inside, my guess is the lock's inside the lifters just go bad. As far as replacing the AFM lifters with regular one's, you could but I believe the cam would have to be changed also. If one were to do that, I would go the route in the YouTube link that I posted. LS7 lifters, CompCam, new push rods and springs, this of coarse wil viod any warranty..........but it would be awesome!

6X, - yeah, I see that it was 4wd that had his lifters replaced twice, - sorry about that.

I also see from the link you posted in that other forum when first announcing your problem, that your issue was the COLD start tick, - not the HOT tick like I, and so many others have.

I think that we have to be careful when discussing these issue to make sure we're addressing the right symptoms.

Lucky for the cold tick guys that GM apparently has a fix for it (as addressed that TSB). For us hot tick guys, we're apparently SOL. It is ironic however, that in both situations, common belief is that the problem involves the lifters, even though the symptoms are manifested differently.

Ok, - so I just went out and did some more observant testing...

Truck hasn't been run since about midnight last night (and it's 2PM here is Seattle). It's also 44 deg F.

Started the truck, and it's got some faint, vague, and varying noise which I believe to be the normal piston slap issue during fast idle, - not worried about that. Oil pressure is also one needle width to the left of dead center (40 PSI).

Once off of fast idle (which is short lived), the engine is QUIET, and I mean a super pleasing quiet. :)

At about 3-5 minutes, the temperature gauge moves up to exactly halfway between the 0 line, and the first line on the gauge, - this is where the ticking noise starts (and the oil pressure gauge never budged from 1 needle width left of dead center 40 PSI).

The oil pressure gauge doesn't drop down to that ~30 PSI range until the engine is completely warmed up (which is probably normal as the rods heat up, expand, causing more clearance, and hence lower oil pressure).

So I don't think the hot tick is an oil pressure related thing. Also, and as it was heating up and just starting to make the hot ticking, I did hear a couple of strange "pops" in either the catalytic converter, and/or muffler. It was different than an expansion creek/pop, and sounded more internal, but there's no way to know for sure.

Also, and this may be a reach, but could it be possible that the computer is putting it in V4 mode when it gets up to a certain temperature ? I know the display still shows V8 mode at idle, but I dunno. Seems to me that if you wanted the most economical mode, that you'd switch to V4 mode when idling. I'm thinking that maybe the ticking noise is the AFM lifter activated (colapsed).

I should of been more clear, cold or warm start up for me is when I got the tic, tic, tic. What you are going through I dont understand why it's doing that after it's warmed up a little. I know that there is some fuel injector/rail noise ticking, that's not what you are hearing is it? As far as your oil pressure guage, is it better since you installed the new PF48 filter? I watched my guage today and at engine operating temp it reads 40 to 42 psi at idle and going down the road it reads 58 to 60 psi. Maybe your oil pump is not strong or the guage may be off a little. Also your 2010 should'nt have any piston slap at all, I believe that was an early 2000's issue. Do you have a iron block or aluminum?

- The PF-48 filter didn't change the behavior of the oil gauge one bit.

- My sound is not an injector, and it is identical to the one in that one guy's YouTube video.

- I have the iron block (2010 5.3L Flex-fuel w/ AFM).

Archived