2010 Silverado 5.3l Lifter Ticking

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent... Was your lifter noise constant?

And do u have any aluminum block or iron? Lmg? Ly5? Etc..?

Was there ever any oil pressure issues?

Don't be alarmed by your oil pressure gauge. These trucks do not need a ton of oil pressure to operate properly. I know my truck usually runs at about 40 until the engine heat comes up, then drops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2011 Silverado 5.3 3400 miles . Noticed noise at about 3,000 miles was getting louder.

I have had it at the dealer twice now. First time they replaced the oil pump and second time they replaced 16 lifters.

Originally it seemed to do it all the time but at this point after the lifter replacement it seems to only do it on cold starts or after its been off for a while. I took it today to the dealer to show them that its still making the noise and it was only slightly producing the noise if I would rev and you listen as it drops and could hear it rattle just a little. The plan as of now is to take it tomorrow evening and drop it off so they can get a good cold start the following morning. This sucks for 3400 miles :(

2010 silverado 5.3L AFM aluminum. Started to hear the tap or tick about two weeks ago when the engine was warm. It only happend every once in a while at first. Then a few days later it was happening all the time after the engine warmed up. Took it in on Monday and described the noise I heard. The dealership, which is awesome, looked into it and replaced all my lifters today, Tuesday. Truck has approx 26000 miles on it. They said the tick / tap would not hurt the engine, but it was annoying. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time, so I am glad they are so good to work with. I hope this fixes the problem. I will update if the sounds return.

Update on mine :

GM had the dealer tear my motor down piece by piece until they found a problem. Also had them measure and make sure everything met specs and it did.

The tech found scarring on the cam which is believe to be the culprit most likely caused by the bad lifters originally installed. From what I understand from the block up is being rebuilt with new parts and I will have it back Wednesday.

I asked the dealer for a free accessory for my time lost in my truck and the super inconvenience of buying a new truck and having the motor rebuilt at 3500 miles. I have yet to hear a response on the free accessory .

Update. Problem sound still exists. This was my third visit . They are now wanting to replace the push Rods and i think he said rocker arms and a few other things but basically this would mean everything from the block up would be replaced . They also swapped my oil pump for a new one again for some reason.

Update. Took it back to the dealer for the part install and they told me a GM Rep visited them and decided to replace the entire longblock. Next Tuesday I am dropping it off for the motor swap and they have promised me incentives of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just had my cam and all lifters replaced under my power train warranty..

Started with a cyclic clunking then finally heard a snap when I accelerated and the "service stabilitrak and check engine light came on..

Took it to Payne Weslaco Motors and they took care it.. Best Chevy dealership out there next to Henna in Austin.

Apparently those lifters go bad pretty often.

The noise began at 60k and "snapped" at 62k

• 1 month later...

I just did an oil change on my 2008 silverado I used castor synthetic with a Bosch filter what I always use. Once I started it I noticed a ticking noise I went to my nearest shop and asked them about it immidiatly they asked me if it was a 5.3 (which it is) and they said it was normal for those to do that. I am still worried it just doesn't seem right. It doesn't loose power or anything it's just that noise really bugs me. Anyone had any luck with this please help!!!!!

I've seen stability track disabled come up once on my truck but no engine lights. I've replaced lifters/upper seals block under warranty but Idk. Might have to bring it back to dealership.

Archived