2014 Chevy/GMC Wish-List

EDIT: The z71 package is outdated and it's name is tarnished, look at the z71 take and suburban GMT 900, those front bumpers that look like skid plates are PLASTIC, the z71 package on that is nothing more than appearence and extremely small adjustments on the suspension which isn't really enough to make a difference.

I have a 87 S10 that has the 2.late and 4x4 no special package and it has a 3 piece aluminum skid plate for the entire drivetrain forward the drive shaft and it has a gas tank shield.

It was factory no special name and it came more prepared for offroading than any "offroad" package GM offers today

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

my thoughts?

1. 1/2 ton Diesel won't sell. Period. That's why no one has built one. The guys who would buy a 1/2 ton diesel at what it would have to be priced at will just buy 2500s.

2. Drum brakes WORK. If you want discs you can get them. Why increase the cost of the work truck/ LS models needlessly.

3. SS NEEDS to come back. Ford has the Raptor/FX2 series and we have no "Halo" Truck.

4. Packages need to be more open. It's Insane that you have to either get a W/T with manual locks and windows or a 1LT to get the 5.3.... The LS Package is the perfect fit for me yet I had to settle with the 4.8 or pay nearly 3k more for fluff options like foglights, a Remote start with crappy range, and a center console, etc....

GM needs to innovate. If they come out with a TTv6, Bedside Storage, and Factory Duals without anything of their own they are not going to be the Must buy truck. they will be the competitive truck they are now.

Most importantly they need to remain Price competitive. Look at Toyota- they just RAISED prices on a truck that isn't selling well. Ford doesn't come off it's pricing either.

I definitely wouldn't want factory duals. Not a huge fan of how they look on the Ram, they sound weak because the truck has to meet OE NVH specs so it doesn't do anything. Plus if you tow all it will do is resonate off the trailer. And it makes my head hurt when people say Ford/Ram/Toyota is expensive. MSRP will always be close on a similarly optioned truck. The manufacturers watch each other on pricing.

I just hope they don't take away the tilt wheel the way it is now.

That new tilt telescopic column in the Malibu/Camaro SUCKS it's way to cumbersome to use and has hardly any movement.

I would like an option where the 1/2 ton sits more like a 3/4 or a Raptor, 33 or 35's from the factory and round wheel openings for a round tire would be a nice change. But GM has been square for so long they will probably never change.

Better or Nicer interior, not too impressed with the LTZ interior materials.

If a 1/2 ton light duty diesel had the performance and fuel mileage I'm sure it would sale, not like the old converted gas engine in the 80's. Technology is there for something better!

Get the infotainment system in there too, don't wait until 2020 when there is something better.

something to compete with the raptor would do well i think.

an option for factory duals like the dodge trucks, with a bumper to match.

fit and finish on the interior, get rid of the annoying rattles.

g-80 locking diff standard.

dic controls standard.

offer a 5 or 6 speed manual package. no other company has a standard, they would get the entire market.

offer some kind of appearance package with carbon fiber, it has become more and more popular. (guage background, interior trim peices, bowtie in grille and tailgate)

g 80 locking i would not want as a standard would rather have a limited slip then a locking differental in the winter . would hate my wheels to lock up in the back around a corner and go flying in a ditch in the winter time .

I definitely wouldn't want factory duals. Not a huge fan of how they look on the Ram, they sound weak because the truck has to meet OE NVH specs so it doesn't do anything. Plus if you tow all it will do is resonate off the trailer. And it makes my head hurt when people say Ford/Ram/Toyota is expensive. MSRP will always be close on a similarly optioned truck. The manufacturers watch each other on pricing.

true priced out a gm to day and a other brand name and the cost where really similar .

I just wish there was more options instead of packages if you wanted to order a truck. and i wish they would bring back a manual option but I know now that is a dead horse and no one really likes them and i am one of those idiots that wish i could have one lol .

1. A better DIC. It seems like every other manufacturer uses a small flat screen TV that can display multiple parameters, but GM is still using dollar store calculator screens for their DIC.

2. Adjustable pedals that actually do something. I have disproportionately long legs and I have my pedals full forward but they are still too close!

3. Z71 package with functional modifications/ additions such as a few inches of lift, etc.

4. NO console shifters- keep the column shifter! (Sorry, Frogfish.)

5. Bigger, more functional rear view mirrors. It seems like the other manufacturers have more mirror/viewing area.

Hopes of real sheet metal and metal bumpers are a thing of the past. Crush zones brought to you by lawyers will prevail. Hopes of giant horsepower increases are probably wishful thinking too. I'm betting on increased fuel economy and a more "car like" ride...

even though I'd rather have thicker sheet metal and more horsepower too.

5. Bigger, more functional rear view mirrors. It seems like the other manufacturers have more mirror/viewing area.

I'd agree with this to a point as my main reason for installing tow mirrors on my truck was because I was unhappy with the standard ones. The first time I saw a Ford with the built in convex element I thought it was a terrific idea, one of those "why did it take this long for someone to think of that?" deals. But after a few rental Fords, I think they're horrible. You can't adjust them separately. They will show a car in the blind spot but in every instance there was no bit of the car reflected in the mirror so you had no reference point as to where exactly they were. But I wouldn't mind the large, square mirrors Ford uses being adapted to the GM rigs. And keep the current tow mirrors as an option of course, I love the amount of coverage they offer but they are giant- I had to give up on a drive-up ATM near my office because the booth is a touch too narrow to use without folding the mirror in, which blocks most of the window frame. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Put the dic controls back on the steering wheel...where they are easy to use

Better interior

Thicker Sheet Metal

Bring back the SS

1/2 ton crew cab short bed

And a Chevy equivalent to the RAPTOR!

Then I would have a hard time deciding whether I wanted another SS or the true off road model...

My "want" is pretty simple: shoulder strap and removable head restraint at every seating position. I'd rather keep most everything else the same, with the addition of direct injected motors. I've looked at Ford/Dodge/Toyota, and nothing about their interiors is "nicer" to me. A bit more room in the crew rear seat would be preferred, but only if the exterior "look" holds the same. The Ford/Dodge/Toyota crews have more rear seat room, but their beds are 3" shorter. The proportions seem "off" to me.

I agree^. Please update the interiors but keep the exterior pretty much the same as the 900's. The front ends are always being changed so it doesn't matter. Direct injection will help. Hopefully they will still keep the 6.2's in the 1500's but I doub't it.

I would like to see GM return to medium duty, at least a 4500 and 5500 chassis-cab based on the Silverado/Sierra. Lots of rumors something is on the way, but the sooner the better.

Forget a diesel 1500. It would be close in price to an HD with a Duramax, and I doubt there would be any real advantage to it.

Archived