My 8.1 2500hd Just got smoked by a PT cruiser Turbo

I attended a traffic accident a few years back where the 17 yr old driver, who died before he arrived to the hospital, was "just another kid trying to have fun". Saw way too many of those.

By the way, I was not knocking the original poster. I was commenting on the others, of which I suspect some/all are adults, who think it's ok to encourage a kid to do such things. I tried all that stuff when I was young and I'm sure my two, now adult, sons did likewise, but I just don't think we should actively encourage it.

Anyway, enough bringing down the mood.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

their is a pretty big difference between telling someone how to try and make their truck faster (which is being done here) opposed to people telling him to take chances, run people off the road and drive as dangerously as possible.

i appreciate the concern but, im not stupid. besides the truck only does 97 or 98 when the limiter kicks in. i have no need to go faster than that, i just want it from 0-75 really fast thats all i care about (by really fast i mean really fast for a truck that weighs idk is it 8000 or 12000 lbs?) BUT you are incorrect by saying they were trying to tell me how to run people off the road (if its what you were implying) and even if they did i wouldnt want to ruin my truck it only had 63000 miles on it and its an 01. i dont really drive dangerously honestly most of the time i dont even drive fast its just once in awhile i see a POS dodge and wanna show him why he should have bought a GMC/Chevy, or a PT loser for that matter. or honestly even a ford but everyone knows fords are slow. lol. One final thing these "adults" or whatever you want are just answering the question i asked, so if you could just let them do that i'd really appreciate it. thanks.

-Kurt

But that's the point. I never suggested that people are telling someone to run people off the road or drive as dangerously as possible. However, think about it. You have a fellow who admits he is only 18 years old and he posts on a public forum for advice on how he can make his truck (basically a piece of farm machinery) go faster so he can race a PT Cruiser on a public street. Those two things tell me something - he has only a few years driving experience and his judgement is questionable cause he wants to race on a public street in a truck that is not meant to be a race car. And then you have a few people who, not even knowing who/what this 18 year old is capable of or his driving abilities or his state of mind when he's behind the wheel, basically encouraging him to not only go faster, but actually go faster so he can street race someone.

You can't tell me that if your son/daughter/wife/husband etc was killed by a couple guys street racing, and you found out one had been on a forum where he asked the same questions and received the same advice, you wouldn't be pi@#$d beyond belief.

Granted, chances are it will never happen to you and this kid will probably survive his early years without an incident, but these things do happen, way too often.

I will admit that I am quite sensitive to street racing issues. In the Vancouver, Canada area a few years back, we had a horrendous problem with street racers and it was not uncommon for only a few weeks to pass before a news item detailed a death or serious injury from a street race. It got so bad that the government had to actually legislate changes to the laws to try and stop the carnage. A recent incident saw the Mounties (RCMP) seize, I think, eight high end cars from young males after they were caught street racing at speeds up to 200 kmh.

Sorry "Senior Enthusiast", it appears I was posting at exactly the same time you were so missed reading your post until mine was finished.

I have little doubt you are a good guy and not stupid. However, just your statement that you want to get up to 75 mph off a light concerns me.

I was a cop for 30 years and in every accident I attended in which speed was a factor, I never found one driver who intended on causing an accident when speeding, but they happen, that's why they call them accidents, no one anticipates problems.

Giving advice and encouragement to anyone, let alone someone your age, on street racing is just wrong and indefensible. Simple as that.

nah 75s only for the highway if its at a light i let off at 50 for the simple fact the speed limit is 45 (i think) from north haven into wallingford CT (route 5) , and i don't want to be pulled over for speeding. i can see you have good intentions but, i really dont have any sort of death wish, its really just about having a little fun, i don't cut people off or go around turns at 65 because i dont care, and the the truck just wouldn't do it. all i really want is to go from 0-75 faster in a straight line. its a truck i get it it, it isnt made to go fast even with like 10,000$ worth of upgrades, i just want a slightly better off the line to 50,60,70 time.

Kurt_T,

(sorry, I misread and thought your member name was "Senior Enthusiast" in my other post).

I can see that at least you're thinking about issues and using some common sense in how you use the power of your vehicle. However, as alluded in my other posts, no-one goes out with a death wish and most just want to have fun. But you'd be surprised at how things change in the "heat" of the moment.

A few years back (more than a few actually) we enacted a protocol in policing where anytime a member would get involved in a pursuit, he/she would have to broadcast his/her speed on a constant basis. This not only gave the supervisor a better picture of things but it caused the member to be more aware of and think about his/her speed, cause you'd be surprised how even veteran officers react when driving fast. They experience tunnel vision and lose a lot of their rational perception. And that's trained officers.

Anyway, play safe.

This conversion brought back a memory of a couple yrs ago. A young guy in a Camero was trying to be cool with his honey and taking the hole shot from stop to stop light in town. (45 mph road). Well O'l dad here pulls up on his DR 350 dirt bike. Dude looks at me I looked at him, flipped my cap around and the light turned green. I pulled him for 2 street lights before he caught up with me at the next red light. Flipped my hat back around and just grinned at him. His honey was laughing at him.. He just got waxed by a middle aged man on a 30hp dirt bike with full knobbies... It was too funny.. Light turned green he pulled away normally... lol.lol...

thats funny, but in my case i cant tell whats funnier the 6000lb truck winning or the car for people over the age of 50, oh well even if i can never beat a PT turbo... i still would like to improve 0-60 0-70 times, and make the truck shift smoother, maybe also improving the ride a bit if at all possible

I raced a 2001 Lincoln Town Car with 4.6L with my 2002 2500HD Crew cab short box with a 6.0L. I smoked pretty bad, but the match-up was a little closer. Only mod I had was a Superchips Cortex. You really want torque and quick response, buy a Duramax. I have an 05' with a few mods that I would put against anything. Embarrassed a lot of Mustang owner's around here with it!!!

I raced a 2001 Lincoln Town Car with 4.6L with my 2002 2500HD Crew cab short box with a 6.0L. I smoked pretty bad, but the match-up was a little closer. Only mod I had was a Superchips Cortex. You really want torque and quick response, buy a Duramax. I have an 05' with a few mods that I would put against anything. Embarrassed a lot of Mustang owner's around here with it!!!

You smoked what pretty bad? ............... whatever it was, you should stop smoking it...... Lincoln Town Car 4.6L???? Really???? ......... That things gotta be heavier than your 2500HD Crew cab 6-0L.... :rollin:

You smoked what pretty bad? ............... whatever it was, you should stop smoking it...... Lincoln Town Car 4.6L???? Really???? ......... That things gotta be heavier than your 2500HD Crew cab 6-0L.... :rollin:

i thought the same exact thing... until we raced some punk kid who had a town car in my buddies jeep

i thought the same exact thing... until we raced some punk kid who had a town car in my buddies jeep

I was just having a little fun with his grammar...... Fact is......... we still don't know who "Smoked" who .... (or what).... :P..... Is that supposed to say, "I smoked him pretty bad" or "I got smoked pretty bad" or "I smoked some pretty bad %@" ??????

Archived