6.2L (L9H) Owners - Get all your questions answered here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know it is an exhausting topic, but I just could not resist. :thumbs:

I have had a problem deciding on what exhaust system to put on my 09 Tahoe L9H and after looking at everything, my muffler guy said let's try this:

So we cut out the stock muffler and installed a Flowmaster Big Block 50 Series, 3.5 in & 3.5 out with the correct offset.

Welded it in and left the resonator and stock outlet..

I think it sounds great, has a real good rumble to it very much like my 454 Suburban from a few years back with a Gibson on it..

It is loud enough when you get on it and has ZERO drone cruising at 75 MPH or even around town..

So far I have added the AirRaid MIT w/Dry Fllter, Muffler and had it tuned by Nelson Performance in San Antonio..

I like it so much that I sold my 67 SWB and am making this my Geezer Hot Rod.. Plenty of Go and now just need to help the brakes some.

BTW, did a 250 round trip yesterday and averaged 17.8 MPG for the overall trip, mostly highway at 77 and some in town..

If anyone has a solution for Brakes, I would like to hear about it.. Have looked at Wilwood and they are 4K for F&R but they WILL STOP this truck.

Thanks again for this great forum,

Thirdcoast

Gene, I've had great luck with EBC Yellow pads with the non-slotted rotors. Stops very well. Only issue is the brake dust - it's brutal, and a constant battle. But, stopping fast for me trumps good looking wheels.

Edited by Jsdirt

• 2 months later...

I guess it's time to join the fun. Just picked up a 2011 Sierra Denali with 82K. So far I'm loving it, but at the same time I'm still getting use to it.

Any other Denali's?

Sorry, no pics yet, truck is dirty and I don't have anywhere to wash it unless I run through a car wash

I guess it's time to join the fun. Just picked up a 2011 Sierra Denali with 82K. So far I'm loving it, but at the same time I'm still getting use to it.

Any other Denali's?

Sorry, no pics yet, truck is dirty and I don't have anywhere to wash it unless I run through a car wash

I just picked up a 2011 Sierra Denali as well (March 5th). Had a little over 69K on it when I got it. I came from a Yukon with the 5.3 and I was really surprised by how much more power the 6.2 has. I'm pushing 75K now and I love the truck but, it's not been a perfect love story.

After less than a month of owning it, I started noticing a ticking noise so I took it in to have it checked out before my power train warranty ran out (August of this year for me, should be sometime this year for you too). Long story short they replaced the lifters, rings and pistons. They also replaced the oil cooler lines and an o2 sensor but, I don't think those were related to the noise even though they were still warrantied.

I've also had some door handle issues but, I wont side track the thread with those. Anyway...here's the only clean pic of the truck I've got (black is soo hard to keep clean). It was raining when I picked up and was nasty by the time I got back home so the first place I stopped was the car wash and this was taken directly after.

12524349_10103311407365020_7219986012594

Edited by RubiconJoey

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

just signed up on the site yesterday after reading through a few hundred posts.

i have a question regarding the L9H, but a swap. if it needs to be moved, i can do so.

I currently have a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 CC z71 w/ the 5.3 & the 6 speed. i'm looking to swap order a new GM crate L9H.

from reading on here and a few other sites, i see that about 95% of the parts are transferrable between the 2 engines, the crate will come with all new internals (cam, crank, pistons, plugs, etc...)

i wanted to confirm a few parts that i will need, hopefully someone else has done this on here and has the same list:

- new intake manifold

- new injectors

- new fuel rails

- possible new ecu (computer)

are there any other parts that i might have overlooked or anything that i need to double check? any advice or pointers during & after the install would be great!

best price so far that i've found is from Karl Performance Chevrolet in Iowa (https://www.karlperformanceparts.com/p/19210971-6-2L-Gen-IV-379-CID-GM-Engine/1761) i'm in california so there's no shipping charge or tax, that saves me about $750 right there!

thanks for the help in advance

Mike

• 5 months later...

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but where is the fuel filter on these trucks?

I can't find it along the frame rail so I'm guessing it's in the engine bay.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but where is the fuel filter on these trucks?

I can't find it along the frame rail so I'm guessing it's in the engine bay.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Inside the tank

Ryan B.

looking for some help with my 2011 siverado 4x4 with 6.2l. At around 70k mi the engine started to develope a noticeable tick at start up when the outside temps were 40 degrees and lower. I brought it in to a dealer and they said it was probably just carbon build up on the lifters, they ran a cleaner through it with no improvements. I brought it to another dealer a few months later and they said there was a service bulletin out and there was no action needed with this issue. The "tick" noise gradually became more pronounced into a knocking sound that did not go away once engine warmed up. At this point my factory warranty ran out but I still have an extended warranty on it but I needed to authorize them to tear apart motor in hopes that they would find something wrong internally for warranty to cover it. They found all piston skirts scuffed/scorched with cyliders 2and 7 being the worst. Warranty place would only cover fixing motor with new pistons, rings, and bearings. The rest of the motor looked good according to mechanic. This was taken care of in june 2016, truck ran fine with no noise or any issues. 11k miles on it and ticking sound is back and gradually getting worse as outside temps continue to fall here in Wisconsin. The ticking/knocking sound is at startup after truck has been sitting over night and goes away once truck is warmed up and driven for a few minutes. I've been back to the dealer that did the engine work and they are hiding behind that same service bulletin for carbon build up on lifters and that it states there is "no action" required. I only have 300miles left on extened warranty and im not getting anywhere with the dealer. I am not sure on my next course of action, any advise is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Hello all. I just got done reading through all these posts on the 6.2 and decided to join so this is my first post! I purchased my 2011 Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 used and can't tell you how much we like it. I previously owned a 93 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 and a 98 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab (3rd door) 4x4 but traded the 98 on this GMC as the kids got too big for the extended cab. The truck has 93K on it but runs like a champ and was taken pretty good care of. The ride is a little stiffer than the 98 but I understand I have the NHT towing performance package which probably is the reason.

Has anyone replaced shocks/struts on these vehicles? I couldn't find anything in this forum but I am researching shocks and was hoping for some suggestions. I believe this truck has the OE shocks/struts and I am looking for an improved ride. We have potholes and rough secondary roads here in PA and the truck seems to take a pounding. I do not tow anything but a small trailer with a ton of coal in it on occasion and wondered if I could get away from buying the OE AC Delco shocks and get something to cushion the ride a bit? I see Monroe, KYB, Billstein, Rancho etc but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all. I just got done reading through all these posts on the 6.2 and decided to join so this is my first post! I purchased my 2011 Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 used and can't tell you how much we like it. I previously owned a 93 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 and a 98 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab (3rd door) 4x4 but traded the 98 on this GMC as the kids got too big for the extended cab. The truck has 93K on it but runs like a champ and was taken pretty good care of. The ride is a little stiffer than the 98 but I understand I have the NHT towing performance package which probably is the reason.

Has anyone replaced shocks/struts on these vehicles? I couldn't find anything in this forum but I am researching shocks and was hoping for some suggestions. I believe this truck has the OE shocks/struts and I am looking for an improved ride. We have potholes and rough secondary roads here in PA and the truck seems to take a pounding. I do not tow anything but a small trailer with a ton of coal in it on occasion and wondered if I could get away from buying the OE AC Delco shocks and get something to cushion the ride a bit? I see Monroe, KYB, Billstein, Rancho etc but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! A little off topic, but where in PA are you located? For shocks I'd probably either go with Bilstein or KYB. Edited by Daryl Z71