afm delete?

I just got my truck... but its a ticker and an oil burner... it was great for the first few thousand miles i had it but as soon as it started gettin cold the ticking at start up began. So I checked the oil, and it was down over 2 quarts in 5000 miles. Just did an AMS oil change today, hopefully that fixes the problem. If not it gives me an excuse to buy a 6.2 when the powertrain warranty is up :dunno:

"Don't worry, thats in the "normal" range for these trucks" :throwup: Unreal.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised that the trucks go into v4 mode when not in high gear. I would not expect them to. I don't have the DoD (or AFM), but, having been around through all the different types that have been tried, it is nice to see that they are so confident in it to allow it to engage in any gear. I will have to take one for a demo overnight and see if I like it or not. I know I really do not like the 4speed trans, and had I known before buying, I would have spent the extra 1.5k to get the larger engine with the 6 speed.

I'm not that crazy about the AFM...granted I only have 1300 miles on the truck but my mpg hasn't been close to 20 mpg babying the gas and staying between 60-70 mph. My commute is 100 miles a day r/t about 98% highway with rarely any sitting in traffic.

I can tell when it goes into the V4 mode and back...sound and slight vibration

Suppose I should check the oil huh

This truck is mine for the foreseeable future so just gonna have to make it work :)

I expect things to smooth out after some more mile get put on it. Only thing Ive noticed as far as engine noise is when it is cold out the exhaust sort of makes a popping noise

I'm not that crazy about the AFM...granted I only have 1300 miles on the truck but my mpg hasn't been close to 20 mpg babying the gas and staying between 60-70 mph. My commute is 100 miles a day r/t about 98% highway with rarely any sitting in traffic.

I can tell when it goes into the V4 mode and back...sound and slight vibration

Suppose I should check the oil huh

This truck is mine for the foreseeable future so just gonna have to make it work :)

I expect things to smooth out after some more mile get put on it. Only thing Ive noticed as far as engine noise is when it is cold out the exhaust sort of makes a popping noise

Wow, that's an expensive commuter vehicle with poor gas mileage. You don't have another car you can use for that kind of distance?

did some playing around, mine stays in 5th in the city, but thats driving just a hair under 60 kph, i believe itll hit 6th just over 60. tried to feel the afm working on the hiway the other day as well and had no luck. truck has 41000 miles for my southern friends, maybe its finally broken in? lol.

i felt it today, but only when using tow mode around town. it was the weirdest thing, around 2500 rpm at like 40 kph it kicked into v4 mode. its never gone into v4 mode in the city and with the higher revs you can feel it for sure. i guess driving at 1700 rpm on the hiway i dont usually feel it :)

When I got my 2011 in January of this year and drive around town, I hated it cutting in and out of V4 mode. No reason why I should be in V4 mode unless I was on an interstate crusing and didn't need the power. So I got an AutoCal and turned off AFM below 60 mph and now it works when it should work, crusing at highway speeds. The shifting is much better and the overall driveability has improved. When/if I get a new Chevy Tahoe at some point with AFM, I'll do the same and turn it off.

• 2 weeks later...

im at 6000 km on this oil and down 1/4 of a liter so mine hasnt developed the issue yet, lol. my afm doesnt kick on in the city unless im decelerating or if im in tow mode, other than that it stays in v8. weird that mine does that and others report that theirs is turning on in the city

does anyone know if the oil consumption issue is resolved if afm is turned OFF during a tune?

it does not fix it... once you have consumption you can try the dealer fixes... but no one has really fixed it once it started.

i had afm removed at about 5000 miles... hoping that i lessen my chances at developing an oil consumption problem.

This is my second truck with DOD disabled. First truck, it was fine until we installed the Magnaflow exhaust......then it drove me crazy! Drove it for 80,000 miiles with no issue whatsoever. I also drive 100 miles a day for a commute....and that truck knocked down 19 mpg city/highway. On a trip to Dallas, it actually averaged 24 mpg one time...no city driving of course.

New truck has had AFM disabled as soon as I got her home. Cold air kit going in, exhaust is on the list too. Mileage isn't quite as good in this truck, but still only a couple thousand miles on her, so we need to see how it goes. Pulled the Diablosport tune out of the 2009, updated the tuner and installed in the 2011. Volant cold air kit going in soon....left the Magnaflow with the old truck.... :-(

Honestly, with no aftermarket exhaust, it is more of a matter of opinion. I could feel it, even though it was very slight. My wife's Avalanche is bone stock and AFM is still enabled. She doesn't notice and I don't drive it...LOL.

Good conversation here, I love seeing the different directions everyone goes with their trucks. Mine is getting a 6" lift and some 35's soon......

PS - for the comment on getting a more economical vehicle for the long commute, I would if I had to, but i. A sure happy to drive this truck everyday. Spending that much time on the road, it is awesome to do it in a truck as comfortable as these Silverados are!

Rick

I notice mine very seldom goes to V4 mode . I only know if I watch it . I have never felt it kick in or out , smooth as glass (8,800 miles so far).

If I buy a programmer (off the shelf type) I will disable it .I bought a v8 and I want to drive a v8. I honestly don't think it makes a difference since it's in V4 so seldom . I have 3.42 gears so maybe that makes a difference i don't know . Maybe it will be more noticed to me when I put 285's on it , IDK.

I see some people on here that said they don't have AFM , I thought all 5.3's had it .

Yeah believe it or not I traded in a Honda Fit for the Silverado...much more comfortable in the truck...so yeah it does cost more in the pocket but as mentioned above nothing like riding in the truck for the commute

Update to the shifting....just past 2700 miles on the clock and the going in and out of v4 to v8 and vice versa is much more pronounced it seems...if I try to keep it around 60mph I can really notice what seems like the transmission hunting for the correct gear. Almost like a slip it seems....

Not sure what to make out of it...weird how some do it and others dont? That doesnt seem like "normal" behavior to me. Related to torque converter at all.....up until a few days ago it was a very slight feel when changing...now unmistakable

I notice mine very seldom goes to V4 mode . I only know if I watch it . I have never felt it kick in or out , smooth as glass (8,800 miles so far).

If I buy a programmer (off the shelf type) I will disable it .I bought a v8 and I want to drive a v8. I honestly don't think it makes a difference since it's in V4 so seldom . I have 3.42 gears so maybe that makes a difference i don't know . Maybe it will be more noticed to me when I put 285's on it , IDK.

I see some people on here that said they don't have AFM , I thought all 5.3's had it .

Yes, all the 5.3Ls got AFM. The 6.2L doesn't ...yet.

Archived