Running premimum gas

I don't do it occasionally- I've run 93 exclusively (aside from one tank of E85 when I found a pump on a trip) since July. Truck runs much better on it. E85 definitely made it even more responsive, I hope to run it all the time after I move.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gawd!!! I wish I could run 93 octane... If I want to pump anything higher than 90 in anything I own I either have to buy race gas or mix AVgas.

We used to be able to get 91 octane at a few pumps in Anchorage, but now that all the stations are getting the raw product from the same refinery we only get 90 ocatane.

My *slightly* modified SkiDoo would be so much happier on 93 ocatane!!!!!!!

my auto tech teacher i had in vocational school when i was in high school was an ase master technician. he said about twice a year if he is going on a long trip, he will run his truck low on gas, put about a half tank of e-85 in it, run it out the same day as low as he can, then top it off with 87 again. he drove a mid 90's tahoe tbi. he did it so the alcohol would clean it out a little. i never do it in mine, because i figure having 10% in every tank (unfortunately) will do any cleaning that a half tank twice a year will.

• 2 weeks later...

Just try a few tanks of premium in your truck. It's only a few bucks more per tank. Keep a record of your mileage with 87 for several tanks, then try the prem. for several tanks. Your truck may like it or it may not make a difference. I have had vehicles that it made a big difference and my current truck shows a slight improvement, but the operating cost is higher with premium, so I run Chevron 87 all the time except for an occassional tank at Costco. I use 1 1/2 to 3 tanks per week and keep records for all expenses so I can tell if something makes a difference or not. Good luck.

Babyhauler

I am fortunate, living in a rural area a local gas stations sells nothing but NON-ethanol fuel. In my opinion it is the worst idea since the AFM they implemented, ethanol is hard on engines and is destroys small engines. I started running VP leaded fuel in my MX bikes 2 strokes over 20 years, I will never run the pump fuel in race bikes (even tho I play ride).

I use the 93 octane exclusively in my vehicles, even the lawn mower. Seem to run better and get better fuel economy. Wish we had a non-ethanol fuel station near me.

Wow !You get better fuel economy in your lawn mower! :crazy: Thats awesome. :thumbs:

(sorry couldn't leave that alone)

Back to OP I also run ultra 94 in my truck and have never used regular, but would like to try the e-85 it has the equivalent of 103 octane.

You know 87 is all I buy for anything, but I have heard, that putting higher octane in 2 strokes and such is better, like I said that's what I "heard". I don't care enough to look into as my 2 stroke 4hp johnson outboard has been running solid since my grandpa bought it in '92

I have heard, that putting higher octane in 2 strokes and such is better, like I said that's what I "heard". I don't care enough to look into as my 2 stroke 4hp johnson outboard has been running solid since my grandpa bought it in '92

That's because most all premium fuel DOES NOT contain ethanol and it safe for small engines. Ethanol can be the kiss of death for small engines and should NEVER be used in a marine environment because Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it will adsorb moisture and can degrade the fuel. Small engines and power sports equipment are typically used on an intermittent basis so fuel sits in the tank, lines, carburetors and injectors for extended periods between uses. During this time, it absorbs water, degrades and causes deposit formation. This results in starting and performance issues. Passenger cars and light trucks, on the other hand, are used more frequently, which limits the amount of time the fuel sits unused. Ethanol readily separates from gasoline and ends up on the bottom of gas tanks in a concentration that is rich in ethanol and water. This mixture does not burn well and can also create a lean burn situation.

Matter of fact, just recently around here several snowmobiles burnt up the motors within 20 miles of filling up with E10 fuel and the fuel is the suspect. The rural station pump did not carry premium so they used the only grade available, 87 octane.

I have heard, that putting higher octane in 2 strokes and such is better, like I said that's what I "heard". I don't care enough to look into as my 2 stroke 4hp johnson outboard has been running solid since my grandpa bought it in '92

That's because most all premium fuel DOES NOT contain ethanol and it safe for small engines. Ethanol can be the kiss of death for small engines and should NEVER be used in a marine environment because Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it will adsorb moisture and can degrade the fuel. Small engines and power sports equipment are typically used on an intermittent basis so fuel sits in the tank, lines, carburetors and injectors for extended periods between uses. During this time, it absorbs water, degrades and causes deposit formation. This results in starting and performance issues. Passenger cars and light trucks, on the other hand, are used more frequently, which limits the amount of time the fuel sits unused. Ethanol readily separates from gasoline and ends up on the bottom of gas tanks in a concentration that is rich in ethanol and water. This mixture does not burn well and can also create a lean burn situation.

Matter of fact, just recently around here several snowmobiles burnt up the motors within 20 miles of filling up with E10 fuel and the fuel is the suspect. The rural station pump did not carry premium so they used the only grade available, 87 octane.

All of the fuel here has ethanol, including premium. There are a few stations selling non-ethenol fuels, and we try to run that in the boat, but I run E-85 most of the time in my truck. I have a tune for 93 octane, and buying E-85 is about the same when you consider mileage.

That's because most all premium fuel DOES NOT contain ethanol and it safe for small engines.

That's a generalization that does not apply here. All fuel here has a minimum of 10% ethanol. I cannot find non-ethanol fuel in western Colorado anywhere.

DEWFPO

Is it safe to use E85 on a gas tune?

According to Justin at Blackbear it is perfectly safe to run the E85. I asked when he was doing my tune.

Edit: I also remember Ryan posting something along the same lines concerning his truck and a Blackbear Tune, probably a year back or so.

Edit 2: I found the previous thread: http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=110374

Archived