Running premimum gas

Is it safe to use E85 on a gas tune?

According to Justin at Blackbear it is perfectly safe to run the E85. I asked when he was doing my tune.

Edit: I also remember Ryan posting something along the same lines concerning his truck and a Blackbear Tune, probably a year back or so.

Edit 2: I found the previous thread: http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=110374

Interesting. I thought I had read somewhere that BB couldn't work with E85. Good to know that was wrong (or my memory just sucks :lol:). I had given up on the prospect of a BB tune as my employer will be paying for the use of my truck after the move and I don't think they'd be happy with me buying premium on something that is already a bit of a pig.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never consider running E85 in a vehicle that wasn't Flex-Fuel capable. There are a lot of parts that are not designed for the harshness of the high ethanol content, plus the pump and injectors can't handle the required fuel flow.

I have heard, that putting higher octane in 2 strokes and such is better, like I said that's what I "heard". I don't care enough to look into as my 2 stroke 4hp johnson outboard has been running solid since my grandpa bought it in '92

That's because most all premium fuel DOES NOT contain ethanol and it safe for small engines. Ethanol can be the kiss of death for small engines and should NEVER be used in a marine environment because Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it will adsorb moisture and can degrade the fuel. Small engines and power sports equipment are typically used on an intermittent basis so fuel sits in the tank, lines, carburetors and injectors for extended periods between uses. During this time, it absorbs water, degrades and causes deposit formation. This results in starting and performance issues. Passenger cars and light trucks, on the other hand, are used more frequently, which limits the amount of time the fuel sits unused. Ethanol readily separates from gasoline and ends up on the bottom of gas tanks in a concentration that is rich in ethanol and water. This mixture does not burn well and can also create a lean burn situation.

Matter of fact, just recently around here several snowmobiles burnt up the motors within 20 miles of filling up with E10 fuel and the fuel is the suspect. The rural station pump did not carry premium so they used the only grade available, 87 octane.

All of the fuel here has ethanol, including premium. There are a few stations selling non-ethenol fuels, and we try to run that in the boat, but I run E-85 most of the time in my truck. I have a tune for 93 octane, and buying E-85 is about the same when you consider mileage.

fyi

http://e0pc.com/

This site says 13 stations in Colorado are ethanol free http://www.pure-gas....sp?stateprov=CO

228 Ethanol free stations in South Carolina http://pure-gas.org/...sp?stateprov=SC

I can get 87 regular or 89 with Ethanol in town here. The day I run Ethanol will be the day hell freezes over. Truck is Flex Fuel, but I don't care. The Ethanol subsidies the government gives out are putting us further down the tube. Additionally, the amount of water to grow the crop, then refine into fuel is environmentally devastating. You won't catch me driving a Prius to try and save the environment, but you WILL NOT catch me running Ethanol. 4000-5000 gallons of water are needed to grow one bushel of corn. Food for thought.

How is water usage "environmentally devastating"? Water never goes away. The water used to grow that corn in 2012 was the same water used by a caveman a few hundred thousand years ago. I know parts of the country aren't seeing enough rain but using water to grow the corn isn't hurting anything.

Clean water use on Earth is limited. For example, the Ogallala Aquifer in Western KS which is pumped to raise corn. Yes, it eventually cycles back, but not at a sustainable rate. It is slowly being pumped dry. Hence, it's smart to use the water to raise food for people, instead of using it for Ethanol, which requires a greater energy input/output ratio than regular fuel does. :rant:

Archived