2007 5.3L AFM - What is the best hand held tuner for fuel economy

I have a 2007 5.3L Silverado Z71. It does NOT have the option of flex fuel. I recently replaced the stock 265 65 R18's with 275 75 R18's on it. The fuel economy went through the floor when i did this. I realize part of this is caused by the speedometer being off by about 8%, but it will rarely engage the V-4 mode any more.

I'm wondering the the best hand held tuner is that i should get that still takes full advantage of the AFM? I've heard that Superchip's Super Tuner is quite simple and gives you all the calibration options required to set the tire size appropriately.

Thanks guys.

I think i'm going to go with the Superchip to keep things simpile at this point as i don't want to mess around with swapping out PCM's or spend quite so much as the blackbear costs. When i go to the Superchip website, they list about 10 different 5.3L engines. 5.3L 'T', 'Z', 'B', 'M', 'O', 'J', or '3'. Is this like the 4th character in the VIN or somethign that i check for this? My truck is the GMT900, not the classic.

How do i find out what version of the 5.3L I have,

How do I find out what gear ratio i am running?

How do i know if i've got an iron block or an aluminum block? - my truck doesn't have the flex fuel badge.

i may just end up selling these new tires and getting something that doesn't make this truck work so hard if the tune doens't help it out much. I went from 12 - 13L/100km on the highway to about 16 L/ 100km. Pulling a little snomobile trailer i got 21L/100km, and that was going 90-100 km/hr. Pathetic as far as i'm concerened

Thanks guys.

I think i'm going to go with the Superchip to keep things simpile at this point as i don't want to mess around with swapping out PCM's or spend quite so much as the blackbear costs. When i go to the Superchip website, they list about 10 different 5.3L engines. 5.3L 'T', 'Z', 'B', 'M', 'O', 'J', or '3'. Is this like the 4th character in the VIN or somethign that i check for this? My truck is the GMT900, not the classic.

How do i find out what version of the 5.3L I have,

How do I find out what gear ratio i am running?

How do i know if i've got an iron block or an aluminum block? - my truck doesn't have the flex fuel badge.

i may just end up selling these new tires and getting something that doesn't make this truck work so hard if the tune doens't help it out much. I went from 12 - 13L/100km on the highway to about 16 L/ 100km. Pulling a little snomobile trailer i got 21L/100km, and that was going 90-100 km/hr. Pathetic as far as i'm concerened

8th charachter of VIN wil give you your engine code. Do a search on 5.3L with your engine code for specifics. Inside the glovebox are codes for gear ratios

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO

GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO

GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO

GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO

GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO

GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO

G80 -- AXLE REAR, HD locking differential

Once recalibrated you should recover a little MPG but you are still pushing taller and wider tires down the road.

Well, I'm a big fan of custom tunes because you get more out of them than the handhelds, but I've also been a fan of superchips tuner.

Your right about the custom tune, can't be compared to a handheld wit hsupplied tunes.

I don't know about others but DiabloSport CMR guys like"06MonteSS" can do a custom tune for you and there is no swapping of PCM or extra charges to keep your own. This way you can have your custom tune, and all of the "canned tunes" that come with the handheld tuner.

The DiabloSport handheld will come with a high octane performance tune, 87 octane tune, and MPG booster tune.

Archived