Steering wheel lights

I have a 05 D-max and I would like to know if anyone have ever had the lights that work the radio and other items go out. What I need to know is how doyou replace the lights in the switches or do I have to replace the whole switch.

Most of my steering wheel lights are out. And just the other day my control panel for the light control went out all at once! I'm guessing a short inside.. Once in a while a radio light may go out to. Just have to tap the radio near the light and it pops back on.

I've had this truck long enough that I don't even look down anymore to "see" which button I'm pushing. My first light went out at 36,001 miles (no joke) & now only have a couple left. If there is a fix it's probably more grief than it's worth to me to fix it. I love the controls but really don't need the lights.

I KNEW I've heard of this topic before....I beat my brain for a good 3 days trying to remember where I saw a How-To on this topic. Bounce over to SilveradoSS.com and check out this thread.

http://www.silverado...trol-light-fix/

Note that it will take some skills with a screwdriver and a soldering iron. But it looks like an inexpensive fix.

Edited by Pittsburgh PK

I've gone down this road before as well with my '05.

The lights are actually standard micro lightbulbs, though they are tiny.

I guess LED's are more costly.

The whole unit has to be replaced, not worth it in my opinion.

I tried to do one of mine, removing the steering wheel, air bag,etc. wasn't

too bad, but getting the switch out and the wiring is a royal pain in the arse.

The wires are too short to get the switch out without damaging something.

• 1 year later...

I just replace all of the bulbs in my steering wheel controls not hard at all and looks great. i replace them with 3mm blue less and very inexpensive. i do have a question though, after i replaced them i plugged them all in and when i plugged in the last one they all went out. is there a fuse somewhere i cant find to check? i have already checked all the bulbs again they all work fine out of the truck.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks to this site, silveradoSS.com I was able to save a nice chunk of money on replacing my steering wheel control lights in my H2. I followed every step from popping each switch out to snapping it back in and worked out pretty easy. I saw one of the sites recommending radio shack #272-1092 mini lamps so I got those and they worked out perfect. Only thing I had an issue with was the short ass wires on the connectors but with a small pick type tool I was able to hold the connector in place while pushing the switch back into the steering wheel.