'01 silverado shifts hard

I have a 2001 silverado 2500hd with the 8. 1l and today when I tried to start it, it would hardly go into gear. Now this has happened twice. The first time it happened it was harder to shift then it is now, but the next day it was fine. I have notice it also will not go further then drive and the trani fluid is good.

you most likely have a NSBU switch failing but have it (transmission)scanned first

(Neutral Start Back Up) switch on the shifter shaft

shifting hard is the result of a code ,TCM doesnt know what gear is selected so it defaults ,raises line pressure etc,turns the light on

very common

let me know what code and if its the switch you can change it but i have a trick to help before hand

he has an Allison and is the best transmission out there ,the teacher at GM said at the beginning of the Ally crse "these things are gonna make you guys lots of cash after warranty"

i never rebuilt one ,replaced a bunch thru abuse and the odd rear housing cracking and lots of t/c seals but not one rebuild from worn guts

no trying to but in on your post but i have the same truck same year same tranny my tranny was acting up on me when i went from forward to reverse it went into nutural did not move either way for a minute or so then it was slaming into forward/reverse gear and the shift indicator light on the column/dash was showing it being in different gear than it was then would not shift threw the gears going down the road i diconnected the battary and seams and shifts fine but every now and then the indicator shows it being in the wrong gear ? any clue elite enthusiast i would love to know your trick

(sorry for spelling mistakes spell check is not working tonight)

no trying to but in on your post but i have the same truck same year same tranny my tranny was acting up on me when i went from forward to reverse it went into nutural did not move either way for a minute or so then it was slaming into forward/reverse gear and the shift indicator light on the column/dash was showing it being in different gear than it was then would not shift threw the gears going down the road i diconnected the battary and seams and shifts fine but every now and then the indicator shows it being in the wrong gear ? any clue elite enthusiast i would love to know your trick

(sorry for spelling mistakes spell check is not working tonight)

it MAY be the NSBU switch replaced on the tranny shifter shaft,,,

the CODE that MAY be in the TCM is for the range switch,cant remember the code

so get it SCANNED and DIAG'D first

the switches can be tricky to put on for a novice

Archived