2009 GMC Sierra, Repeated failure of TPMS!

Fourth trip to dealer in two months is scheduled for next Monday for "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System"! Had a different service visit also during this time.

The first time they just reset the sensors with their scan tool, 2nd trip they replaced passenger front sensor, third trip they replaced driver rear sensor, now the light is on once again!

In between those trips I had a Stabilitrak Off light and reduced engine power that left me temporarily stranded, turned ignition off for about a minute and drove to work, failed again on trip to the dealer that evening. They replaced Throttle Position Sensor.

Truck only has 39K miles and just seems to be too many flaky issues occurring within a short time frame.

Needless to say I am pretty P.O.'ed over this TPMS. Any suggestions other than going back to FORD? LOL

Would like to note that truck was slightly out of warranty upon initial failure and was fixed under customer satisfaction as a freebie, each additional trip has still been a freebie (TPS under warranty until 100K) but I am feeling less than warm and fuzzy over this truck.

HELP?

TPMS is a new system, takes time to work bugs out, and they can fail, and im sure ford has the same issues, and to me those are minor issues, try having a ford with 3 rears 2 transmissions and a motor in 40k miles, a little bit more of a headache then a small sensor and a throttle position sensor.

TPMS is a new system, takes time to work bugs out, and they can fail, and im sure ford has the same issues, and to me those are minor issues, try having a ford with 3 rears 2 transmissions and a motor in 40k miles, a little bit more of a headache then a small sensor and a throttle position sensor.

Mine are minor issues yes! Didn't mean to sound so down on GM but just a lot of sudden faults that leaves me wondering what is yet to come. My last truck was a 99 Silverado that I ran 225K miles with no recurring or major issues, still ran great and drove like almost new when I got rid of it.

I am wondering if there is something flaky going on besides the tire sensors, they are 'supposed' to last about ten years before the batt dies on them.

Mine are minor issues yes! Didn't mean to sound so down on GM but just a lot of sudden faults that leaves me wondering what is yet to come. My last truck was a 99 Silverado that I ran 225K miles with no recurring or major issues, still ran great and drove like almost new when I got rid of it.

I am wondering if there is something flaky going on besides the tire sensors, they are 'supposed' to last about ten years before the batt dies on them.

Did it have TPMS sensors :lol: if the dealer is taking care of it and treating you wright I would just let them work it out. In the end you might just have a complete new system that hopefully will last another 10 years. At least they are replacing a different part each time. I hope they get it worked out for you :)

Did it have TPMS sensors :lol: if the dealer is taking care of it and treating you wright I would just let them work it out. In the end you might just have a complete new system that hopefully will last another 10 years. At least they are replacing a different part each time. I hope they get it worked out for you :)

"Did it have TPMS Sensors?" -That was actually funny! LOL

I wouldn't plan on it lasting ANOTHER ten years per se as it has only lasted 2.5 years to date. :dunno:

The TPMS system is NOT NEW and GM sure should have the bugs worked out of it by now!

My 2000 Caddy Deville had a TPMS system also and I never knew about it till I was breezin'

thru the DIC modes one day! My 03 and o7 Caddys had it also and it never had a issue.

MY 07 gmt-900 Chevy has it and it has also been a PIA with warning messages in the DIC

readout and SES lights. Thankfully it has been silent since I went off warranty !!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if one of the PCM burn guys can eliminate it with a PCM re-burn like

they have done to KILL the troublesome and $pendy auto level-auto ride messages

and SES warning lights when replacing those $2000 shocks with regular passive units?????

If there is no satisfaction from the dealer, try some aftermarket VDO TPMS sensors (315mgh), most major tire shops will install them and use a scan tool connected to the vehicles computer to load in the new sensors.

Fourth trip to dealer in two months is scheduled for next Monday for "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System"! Had a different service visit also during this time.

The first time they just reset the sensors with their scan tool, 2nd trip they replaced passenger front sensor, third trip they replaced driver rear sensor, now the light is on once again!

In between those trips I had a Stabilitrak Off light and reduced engine power that left me temporarily stranded, turned ignition off for about a minute and drove to work, failed again on trip to the dealer that evening. They replaced Throttle Position Sensor.

Truck only has 39K miles and just seems to be too many flaky issues occurring within a short time frame.

Needless to say I am pretty P.O.'ed over this TPMS. Any suggestions other than going back to FORD? LOL

Would like to note that truck was slightly out of warranty upon initial failure and was fixed under customer satisfaction as a freebie, each additional trip has still been a freebie (TPS under warranty until 100K) but I am feeling less than warm and fuzzy over this truck.

HELP?

I'm sorry to hear that and hopefully it all gets worked out.

WAIT...............did you just say the TPMS system is covered for 100k??

Is there anything aftermarket on the truck? Electronics? Wheels? The sensors work off Radio Frequency and some electronics can interfere with the signals (even cheap cell phone chargers). If aftermarket wheels do not have the correct angle where the valve stem is such as valve stem in the middle of the wheel , it can cause problems. There are adjustable angle sensors available aftermarket.

Aftermarket tires and window tint are also big contributors to tpm system issues. This system is super easy to work with and diagnose, the issue is that it can be tough to track stray RF signals and keep them from doing something weird to the tpm system.

The TPMS is a good idea and convenient, but for me it's more trouble then it's worth. I don't need sensors thats what my pressure gauge is for.

Thank Ford, Firestone and your Government for systems like this and stability control.

WAIT...............did you just say the TPMS system is covered for 100k??

No, I didn't say that. The throttle position sensor for the stabilitrak off malfunction is covered under the powertrain warranty for 100K.

The TPMS was covered by my dealer under 'customer satisfaction' as it was barely out of warranty. They were being nice.

Archived