Noise from windshield seals on highway?

When driving on the highway I'm getting what sounds like a constant flapping noise from the winsheld seals on the left and right sides of the windshield. I heard someone describe the sound as sand hitting the window. I might recall that there was a TSB on this but have tried searching and found nothing. Any Ideas?

I know this sounds crazy but I saw in your signature that you have a hood deflector/bugshield on your truck and that was the culprit on my 2001 and a 2002 Chevrolet 2500. I did some research and found that it was a common problem after installing a bugshield and I found that to be true with my trucks but thought by now it wouldn't be an issue on newer models. I ended up fixing my windshield by pulling the rubber strip back as far as I dare and putting some black silicone behind it, worked like a charm. Anything like silicone or an expoxy that will glue the rubber strip to the glass will stop the noise.

I've had the windshield replaced once in my '08 and both the factory and this one have made that noise, but it only happens with a strong headwind. I guess it's the bug deflector causing it. Annoying...

Interestingly, it's usually the FACTORY bug shield that causes the problem. You'd think that the GM folks would have test driven their trucks with the bug shield in place. They don't, I guess.

My 2003 Silverado had a bad case of this noise and my absolutely wonderful service writer was about to put in a brand new windshield for me. I happened to read this forum and found the fix.

Instead of 2-sided tape, I used a long bead of 3M Insignia Adhesive (a clear silicone gunk), let it dry and the problem was solved.

I told my fantastic service writer guy about the fix and he did it on many trucks thereafter.

By the way, my service writer was a great guy and he stood behind my new Chevy trucks better than either the agency or GM ever did. He was on oxygen 24/7 and about two years ago, he died literally at his service writer's desk. He was a one of a kind guy and just the sort we all need to help us with our trucks.

May God Bless Warren Moore's Lovely Soul ... forever.

By the way, my 2010 Silverado has a factory bug shield and apparently GM figgered out how to fix the problem because it's as quiet as a church-mouse.

Steve

its a recall. had mine done on my 2011 a few months ago. Had the same problem with my 01 sierra. I would take it in, mine got to the point if i passed someone it felt like the window could pop off at any time.

Archived